SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-13-11, 03:04 AM   #91
convoy hunter
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 103
Uploads: 0

I 've got myself a p1i in 2006 it is still working but I cannot use its WLAN 'cause modern routers have different types of encrypted codes.
convoy hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 12:07 AM   #92
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
I've had a samsung reclaim for a while now - solid phone for what I need. I thought about going "fancy" with smart phonea hero, but a friend had one and she had nothing but problems with it. Besides, I don't need "apps" - I spend too much time dealing with the phone as it is.

The reclaim can do the basics, surf the net, text, and wonder of wonder, make and accept those weird old school things call "phone calls". I will admit the GPS/driving directions have come in handy on occasion.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 01:45 PM   #93
antikristuseke
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
That may be my next phone, does it have apps?
Its an android phone, it has more apps than you know what to do with.
antikristuseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 02:23 PM   #94
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:

It has apps out the wahzoo. So does WM7 so do not shy away from a Windows phone. Android is a great OS. I like it. I like WM7 as well. The key is a phone with some speed in the processor. Let's face it...these are miniature computers! The EVO is up to the task. My wifes newly purchased LG Quantum with the WM7 OS is up to the task. We tried a Samsun Intercept...it was painful man. Dumbed it in under two days.

Word of caution on the touch screen. I have the EVO touch screen. It is not my most favorite for typing. I have tried the new Swype technology with the touch keyboard and it is ok but not something I like either. Take a serious look at a phone with the qwerty keyboards. My wife got the LG Quantum with the slider keyboard. It is a nice phone and comes with the WM7 OS. The EVO comes in a version called the Slide I believe. Also a fast phone. It is a very nice phone overall.

The EVO pictured above and what I have on a scale of 1-10 and 10 being the best...9.5! Half a point for the touch screen keyboard. Not my favorite.
Old 02-20-11, 05:57 PM   #95
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Be sure you have wimax service in your area. I believe you have to pay for a more expensive data plan even if you don't have wimax (Sprint's 4G) available in your area. Even if you do though, you'll probably spend most of your time with with the 4G switched off. My coworker has an EVO and the 4G chews threw battery within a couple hours, even if he's not actively using the device. Still one of the better Android devices out there, though it's getting a little old considering the rate at which new Android devices are launched.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 09:38 AM   #96
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Well, yesterday my HTC Hero plunged into a bucket of water for about 5-6 seconds. I stripped the cover, battery, and cards and left it to dry for about 4 hours (there didn't seem to be much water ingress!). Turned it on and it boots into life, woo hoo! Thought I'd got away with it but noticed that it was permanently in 'headphones' mode, so phoned provider as it was fully insured for such an idiot using it

Got a new one arriving tomorrow evening, and now - given a little more time to dry out - this one is working just fine!

As much as I love this phone, I was kinda hoping they'd run out of Heros and would have to give me something a bit newer
Old 05-11-12, 08:22 AM   #97
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Post your cell/mobile here. What are you using, what do you like/dislike about it?

I have been using a super cheap Go Phone from Wal-mart for about 2 years, because my last nice phone was drowned on a motorcycle ride. So, I grabbed a $15 phone from Wal-mart and put my chip in it.

Since I am going to the wilds of Denmark next week, I decided to move up to e better phone, one that will work world-wide, has a decent camera, and storage. I chose the Samsung Solstice.

It is very thin and small, so I can carry it in a pocket, as opposed to a belt clip or holster. It has a 2MP camera, takes video, can be expanded to 8GB with a micro-SD chip. The only cons so far is removing the battery cover--definitely not easy, and knowing I am carrying an expensive phone as opposed to my previous "disposable" one means I actually have to take care of it. It was nice not having to worry about it. I guess I'll get used to that.

Haha, I'm so funny!

Last night at the teaching sessions I am attending, the instructor was talking about how the schools are encouraging students to BYOT (bring your own tech), mainly bring their cell phones and use them to respond to questions by the teacher. (Which I think is goofy and unnecessary, that's what hands and arms are for. Plus: our school district is impoverished, 80% of the kids get free breakfast and free lunch, so wth are they doing with $400 smart phones? But that's for another thread,,, ) So, the instructor told the class, let's try it, pull out your phone and text blah blah...

So everyone (over 20 people in attendance) pulls out some version of the iphone or android smart phone exept Der Onkel...

I'm still rocking that Samsung Solstice.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 09:16 AM   #98
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

If it works, it works.

I don't quite know how phones in class are supposed to help, does the teacher ask a question and they all Google the answer, and then text it to the teacher?

Whilst we're in this thread, I upgraded in Jan to a Galaxy SII - I'm going to ignore the SIII that is being hyped-up at the moment.
Old 05-11-12, 04:38 PM   #99
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Using a Motorola Defy which is a great little phone, even if it comes heavily loaded with Motorola bloatware. I bought it as a replacement for my truly awful Samsung Galaxy and have been pretty happy with it, probably because of the 9 months of hell I had with the Samsung. Only problems with it are the aforementioned bloatware and the fact it can be fairly capricious about sending Emails. Aside from that, it's a great handset and almost as good as my old iPhone was.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 08:22 PM   #100
andy_311
The Old Man

Downloads: 82

Nokia 5800
Old 05-11-12, 08:38 PM   #101
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Using a Motorola Defy which is a great little phone, even if it comes heavily loaded with Motorola bloatware. I bought it as a replacement for my truly awful Samsung Galaxy and have been pretty happy with it, probably because of the 9 months of hell I had with the Samsung. Only problems with it are the aforementioned bloatware and the fact it can be fairly capricious about sending Emails. Aside from that, it's a great handset and almost as good as my old iPhone was.

You can send emails with a phone?
Old 05-12-12, 02:21 AM   #102
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:

And check out SUBSIM.com.
Old 05-12-12, 07:36 PM   #103
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Quote:
When it's in the mood to, yep. Actually, I mostly communicate via email these days. To be honest, I can't actually remember the last time I used made a call on my phone. Must be months. 600 free minutes a month and I doubt I've used 60 in year I've had this handset.

I love smart phones. Between that and my iPad I feel like I'm living in Star Trek.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 12:43 AM   #104
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

iPad. How is that significantly different from a laptop? Other than all the touching and smearing the screen?
Old 05-13-12, 01:11 AM   #105
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29

Quote:
iPad. How is that significantly different from a laptop? Other than all the touching and smearing the screen?
Uhm... what do you think he is doing with his laptop???!!!!

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobile, phone