SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-02-12, 12:11 PM   #166
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Steve, I have you beat. I'm poor and cheap

Update: went by 3 places and looked at gajiiions of phones and carrier plans Cricket, Radio Shack, and Best Buy.

Cricket has $50 a month unlimited text/talk 1GB data
RS has the same but with "unlimited" non-3G data

BB has so much to choose from, I took home a booklet they give out for comparison.

If you don't really have a device or carrier preference, just looking for a small phone under 4.6 inches, than I would recommend the Motorola Driod Razr M (Verizon), or its brother the Atrix HD (AT&T). These phones on the inside are just as good as the s3 or the HTC One X, but they are smaller.

Or if you are willing to wait a bit, I would seriously recommend waiting for Windows Phone 8. The Nokia Lumia 820 gets my big recommendation. It is coming probably all the big carriers except Sprint.

Now if you are cheap, trust me on this, get the phone off contract, and use pay as you go.

You want to post a few devices you are considering? I can give you some advice.
Old 10-02-12, 01:14 PM   #167
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Cricket has $50 a month unlimited text/talk 1GB data
Everybody has a $50 unlimited talk/text plan these days. As I said, I pay $15 a month for 200 minutes, and I don't use them all. Also, I can get a Nokia or Samsung for $19.99 if I want. But then, you get what you pay for.
Old 10-02-12, 04:25 PM   #168
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Sounds good, I am going to check on that tomorrow.
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/LG...-Review_id3028
What would you are the phone's shortcoming? All I need is a phone that has decent volume and a camera, thanks!
Shortcomings, It is only a 3G

But it is wi-fi enabled, which helps.

It is definitly a charge every day phone, if you play vids, or use the internet alot like I do. If you bog it down with apps it gets bad with power management.

Google play is not as finely tuned as the Apple App store, and some of the apps are bug ridden messes.

Volume is nice, though it is not a boombox, it has a camcorder/camera with a light.

I pay 35$, unlimited info and texting, and either 200 or 300 minutes, I forgot, but I do not use all the minutes. (no contract)

Not saying the Iphone 5 is bad, just saying it is more than I need. And too pricey. My old lady loves it, I am not that impressed. Not knocking others if they enjoy it. I would rather get something cheaper and functional, and pay my bills or buy a PC game with the difference. Plus the contract, turned me off nearly instantly before i even saw what it could do. The one carrier nonsense they had with earlier I-phones is another.

And it is very good for both sides, that there is competition, the consumers win for once.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 05:12 PM   #169
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Not knocking others if they enjoy it. I would rather get something cheaper and functional, and pay my bills or buy a PC game with the difference
Same here, the iPhone is a great device, I just don't need it or wanna commit $100 a month to a phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
What carrier are you with (or thinking of going to)

I can give you some recommendations
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
If you don't really have a device or carrier preference, just looking for a small phone under 4.6 inches, than I would recommend the Motorola Driod Razr M (Verizon), or its brother the Atrix HD (AT&T). These phones on the inside are just as good as the s3 or the HTC One X, but they are smaller.

Or if you are willing to wait a bit, I would seriously recommend waiting for Windows Phone 8. The Nokia Lumia 820 gets my big recommendation. It is coming probably all the big carriers except Sprint.

Now if you are cheap, trust me on this, get the phone off contract, and use pay as you go.

You want to post a few devices you are considering? I can give you some advice.
Thanks!

I am leaning toward T-mobile or Cricket/Radio Shack,
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/c...t-Grey-Prepaid

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/09...vilized-world/

Tmobile has a $30 1500 talk/text with 30MB web plan, prepaid.

Hey, I can still use my number on these prepaids, right? How does that work?
Old 10-02-12, 06:08 PM   #170
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

It's all about the SIM card.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 06:22 PM   #171
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
When you sign up you tell them you want to keep your number. It gets transferred to the new phone.
Old 10-02-12, 06:26 PM   #172
soopaman2
Der Alte

I would go against having a limit on info, depending on how you use it. Every time you load a page it counts against you. Hit the back button by mistake and watch your pennies tick away when you try to go back.

Talk minutes is awesome.

I am not sure how apps work, I get scoring updates for my sports teams with an app, and I believe it is internet driven, alot of apps are.

I would strongly suggest getting an unlimited info plan, depending on how you use it, but I use the you tube app alot. So it could just be my overuse of internet, that makes me make this suggestion.

It is of course up to you, but once you go over your alloted bandwidth, they bend you over monetarily, or outright cut you off, and it may interfere with apps.

Also check coverage maps, I am spoiled here in the NE USA, whereas someone in rural Indiana might not have the same results as me.

Not saying you're in hicksville (I don't mess with Texas). Just some carriers are stronger in some places than others, especially the smaller "budget carriers"

-Winston Churchill-

Old 10-02-12, 06:29 PM   #173
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Same here, the iPhone is a great device, I just don't need it or wanna commit $100 a month to a phone.

Thanks!

I am leaning toward T-mobile or Cricket/Radio Shack,
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/c...t-Grey-Prepaid

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/09...vilized-world/

Tmobile has a $30 1500 talk/text with 30MB web plan, prepaid.

Ok, so for your number, please talk to your carrier. You should be able to keep it.

I suggest possibly waiting a bit, since right now, most US carriers outside AT&T and Verizon don't really have any really compelling lower end offerings.

Now why do I suggest you wait a bit? well lets consider the common smartphone platforms:

Blackberry and Windows Phone is no go right now, since they will both shortly release new offerings, and current phones will not be upgradeable.

There is a big slew of new andriods coming soon (Verizon is your carrier if you want andriod, they have the best devices).

Only the iPhone is worth buying right now (the iPhone will remain at its price untill a month before they release the next one).

Assuming that you do not want the iPhone, than it is a good idea to wait untill the holiday season swings in (unless you really need a phone now).

Now a few tips from me:
1. Don't skimp on the phone
You will be using this device every day for the next 2 years, don't skimp on the phone. Get something good, with update potential, and most of all, good build quality. And here is the thing, if you want decent amounts of data, the price of the phone is really nothing. After all, data is INSAINLY expansive, and after paying for it for 2 years or so, the money you spend on the phone seems insignificant.

2. If you don't want data (or if you are going T-mobile), don't sign a plan.
Hey, if you just want a smartphone, without data, buy it off contract and use pay as you go. Or if you are on T-mobile, they will discount your plan if you bring your phone. However, if you want lots of fast data, than maybe signing a plan is a good choice.

3. When buying andriod, DO NOT buy a phone with Gingerbread(2.3)
I cannot stress this enough, buying an Andriod with Gingerbread this late in the game is NOT a good idea. Gingerbread is 2 versions behind the latest, and thus, many apps (like chrome for example) do not work. Also, trust me, 4.* is a LOT better than 2.*

4. Always check ebay
Hey, there are lots of great brand new phones being sold on ebay daily, you might as well try to buy one there. But remember to check if it works on your carrier.

Now my recommendations:
If you would like T-mobile:

HTC One S: http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/...-Gradient-Blue

This is a top of the line phone under 4.6 inches. The specs inside are absolutely top of the line, and most of all, it ships with Android 4.0, with a 4.1 upgrade coming soon.

You should expect to pay around 400$ for it off contract.

If you would like Virgin Mobile:
HTC one V: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/...hone/features/

The one S's little brother. The specs are much weaker, but unlike most other budget handsets, you get Android 4.0 (with a good chance of a future 4.1 update)

Expect to pay around $200.

If you would like AT&T:
Get the Atrix HD: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/dev...ern-white.html

This is a rarity, its a phone that is similarly specced against Verizon's Droid Razr HD, but cheaper. And most of all, smaller. Plus, now that Google owns Motorola Mobility, I find that motorola's phones are all pretty damned good software wise.

If you would like Verizon:
Verizon is the Android powerhouse. Lots of good handsets.

Lots of good devices:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=5892
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=5947
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=5845

If you would like Sprint:

Samsung Galaxy Victory: http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop...=dt_phones&ptn=

Its a rare good lower end device with good battery life, and thus, gets my recommendation.

PS: If you want data, get at least 1gb. You will burn through 30mb in 5 visits to Subsim.

PPS: For all carriers except Verizon and Sprint, check ebay for a phone. Lots of good phones available there, just that Verizon and Sprint probably won't let a phone you didn't buy from them on the network. Expect to pay 50% less than the list price.

Last edited by the_tyrant; 10-02-12 at 07:06 PM.
the_tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 06:39 PM   #174
soopaman2
Der Alte

I believe America had a law passed that no one phone company owned a phone number, like they used to do.

I switched house phone companies and kept the number, same with cell phones later on. But I had to ask them to do so, otherwise you will get what they give you.

-Winston Churchill-

Old 10-02-12, 06:42 PM   #175
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

If the phone is WiFi capable you will not get charged if your phone is downloading off the WiFi. I connect at work and home with my phone. Away from the WiFi I use the providers connection. All depends how you use your phone and charges incurred with data usage.
Old 10-02-12, 07:27 PM   #176
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Wait for newer phones, eh? This is why I am still using a 4 year old phone

Ok, so with Virgin, this phone?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Virgin+M...&skuId=5177501

And tMobile, this phone
Samsung Exhibit 4G
http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-34818011.html

As far as Gingerbread 2.3, how is that going to adversly affect my phone? It works, right? Maybe not as "fast" as Ice cream or whatever the latest OS is, but this time next year, there will be some new OS, and the current one will suck.

And it does connect to wifi, right? That's where I plan to do my most internet browsing anyway.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 10-02-12 at 07:45 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 07:34 PM   #177
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Sometimes you just need to know when to say when. But hey, it has been working great for four years, why change? I'm on my third year with mine. Great phone and will keep it until it can't push data anymore.
Old 10-02-12, 07:49 PM   #178
soopaman2
Der Alte

Quote:
Wait for newer phones, eh? This is why I am still using a 4 year old phone

Ok, so with Virgin, this phone?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Virgin+M...&skuId=5177501

And tMobile, this phone
Samsung Exhibit 4G
http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-34818011.html

As far as Gingerbread 2.3, how is that going to adversly affect my phone? It works, right? Maybe not as "fast" as Ice cream or whatever the latest OS is, but this time next year, there will be some new OS, and the current one will suck.

And it does connect to wifi, right? That's where I plan to do my most internet browsing anyway.

Yes sir, wi-fi capible indeed, better than mine too!

Don't make me buy a samsung Galaxy, I have to win!!

Though, I would not go through best buy, unless you cannot find it elsewheres. They are not the best buy in most cases, despite the name.

(personal experience, I always need a shower after shopping there )

The Samsungs are usually the best androids out there. I am not a t-mobile fan, I used to have them and couldn't make calls when inside brick buildings. So I am biased. (admittedly)

Mind you it was 4 years ago, before the newer tech, but I stay with what works.

-Winston Churchill-

Old 10-02-12, 07:52 PM   #179
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Sometimes you just need to know when to say when. But hey, it has been working great for four years, why change? I'm on my third year with mine. Great phone and will keep it until it can't push data anymore.
Need a new phone because ATT is costing too much. Can I keep the phone and get a $35 month prepaid service on the current one?
Old 10-02-12, 08:10 PM   #180
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

I have my wife and kids on ATT. Its a crock. The monthly low fee balloons for no particular reason. When I was a kid there was no added expense in the household for my folks to contend with. Cellphones and cable being our burden. Anyway, I think Cricket is the least expensive service.

If your phone accepts the SIM card from another carrier it will work. My daughters phone just died. She had one month to upgrade time. We purchased a twenty buck phone at the mart. Put her SIM card in the cheapy and it works. Once the time comes for the upgrade we go upgrade. Like I said, its all about the SIM card. So, if the carrier gives you their SIM card your current phone should work on their network. I believe they can program your current number into the SIM card as well.

Tags
mobile, phone