SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-24-08, 01:07 PM   #1
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 202
Uploads: 0
Default Thank god for Avast

I was browsing a polish site (in English) for a game series called 18 Wheels of Steel (a trucking simulation), when I suddenly got an installation window for something called "Trusty Anti-Virus". Naturally, that set off the ALAAAARM bells, so I unplugged the network lead, ran task manager, and spotted at least 6 suspicious processes, which I ended immediatley. Then I started Avast! Anti-virus, which scans your running memory before loading up, and it detected the little son of a bitch that infected my computer. Then it offered a boot time scan (when nothing is running, like ChkDsk) which it is now performing.

I know it was just that site, because this laptop has been connected the whole time and has gotten nothing. (Does wireless affect the transmission of viruses?)
Old 01-24-08, 01:17 PM   #2
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

I'm not too happy to hear it let something infect your system in the first place.

-S
Old 01-24-08, 01:19 PM   #3
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

18 Wheels of Steel is a good little game. LOTS of potential comedy and surprises worked into it (The Alien spaceship caught me off guard completely ! Hehehe) For a piece of budget software, it's not bad at all. I would go to the manufacturer's page to look it up and not some random "Polish" page.
Old 01-24-08, 01:32 PM   #4
Kapitan_Phillips
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight
18 Wheels of Steel is a good little game. LOTS of potential comedy and surprises worked into it (The Alien spaceship caught me off guard completely ! Hehehe) For a piece of budget software, it's not bad at all. I would go to the manufacturer's page to look it up and not some random "Polish" page.

No, I went there because it's one of the few places where I can download mods. I wanted to desperatley replace that awful engine sound. I managed to do that a couple days ago, I replaced it with a real world Mack truck engine It even whistles with the turbo, I was most pleased.