SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-08, 01:42 AM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLTIGER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
Let it be stable.
Let it be compatible.
Let it be tight and safe and secure.
Let it be supported by drivers.
Let it be simple in options, handling and structure.
Let it be running on as little ressources as possible.

Let it be the empty screen on which the film is projected. Let it not be mistaken for the film itself. Let it be blessed with the virtue of modesty, then.

For cars there is a simple rule: the less complex, the more solid, the fewer problems. OS-makers can learn some desirable goals from that.
Well, barring the final "Let it be.." above, Vista does fit the bill.
Does it? :hmm:
Massive complaints on compatability.
Massive complaints on driver support.
Not exactly the simpliest structure.
Runs not on as lowest but very massive ammounts of hardware ressources.
It is presented and designed in a way as if it is the software you want to run at a given time, a game, thus the high demands in RAM and graphicscards. It's not just a screen, it is like the movie you go for when visiting the cinema.
It is very complex obviously, is not the most solid operation platform (even worse with less than 2 GB RAM), and has quite a lot of problems.

If it would meet the list's criterion, customers would not be so antipathic about it - even after one year. Business almost boycotts it, probably most Vistas sold to private people are preinstalled on new complete systems. Many people are reported to have upgraded to XP.
Old 01-19-08, 04:09 AM   #17
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

Let it be open source
Let it be free
Let it be modified by the community
Old 01-19-08, 06:32 AM   #18
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLTIGER
Quote:
Let it be stable.
Let it be compatible.
Let it be tight and safe and secure.
Let it be supported by drivers.
Let it be simple in options, handling and structure.
Let it be running on as little ressources as possible.

Let it be the empty screen on which the film is projected. Let it not be mistaken for the film itself. Let it be blessed with the virtue of modesty, then.

For cars there is a simple rule: the less complex, the more solid, the fewer problems. OS-makers can learn some desirable goals from that.
Well, barring the final "Let it be.." above, Vista does fit the bill.
Does it? :hmm:
Massive complaints on compatability.
Massive complaints on driver support.
Not exactly the simpliest structure.
Runs not on as lowest but very massive ammounts of hardware ressources.
It is presented and designed in a way as if it is the software you want to run at a given time, a game, thus the high demands in RAM and graphicscards. It's not just a screen, it is like the movie you go for when visiting the cinema.
It is very complex obviously, is not the most solid operation platform (even worse with less than 2 GB RAM), and has quite a lot of problems.

If it would meet the list's criterion, customers would not be so antipathic about it - even after one year. Business almost boycotts it, probably most Vistas sold to private people are preinstalled on new complete systems. Many people are reported to have upgraded to XP.
When XP came out people said the same thing except the ram difference was 256mb ram for XP most had 64mb or 128 but when service pack 1 then two came out 256 was not enough. XP was buggy as hell, this is a sht os give me Windows98se anyday while the techs stayed with ( and some still do) Windows 2000 Professional.
In fact Win2k with service pack 4 beats XP pro hands down - gaming wise XP wins.

Dont be scared its only an OS give Vista time and it will be stable as, with 2gigs its stable enough as it is but it can be better i admit. What do we expect its MS all their OS's come out screaming like a baby.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 09:38 AM   #19
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

We shall see if it sinks or swims.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 02:28 PM   #20
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentrunner
I really don't know why everyone hates Vista. I thought I was going to go mad using XP. Vista home premium works faster than any other operating system I have ever used.
Hahahahaah! Funniest damn thing I read all day! You are joking aren't you? I have a combination of OS's in this very room, and Vista is the slowest of them all! So I hope you are.

-S

PS. If not, seems you probably had too much loaded bloat on your XP (And I dear say - a LOT of it), or you bought new hardware that was approximately 3 times faster than your older system at the time of install.
Old 01-19-08, 09:34 PM   #21
silentrunner
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentrunner
I really don't know why everyone hates Vista. I thought I was going to go mad using XP. Vista home premium works faster than any other operating system I have ever used.
Hahahahaah! Funniest damn thing I read all day! You are joking aren't you? I have a combination of OS's in this very room, and Vista is the slowest of them all! So I hope you are.

-S

PS. If not, seems you probably had too much loaded bloat on your XP (And I dear say - a LOT of it), or you bought new hardware that was approximately 3 times faster than your older system at the time of install.
come to think of it I did have alot of useless horse crap on my xp computer.

silentrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 09:41 PM   #22
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

Yeah. XP runs so much smoother than Vista ever ran. When it originally came out, we got our first laptops into the store with Vista on them and they had 5-10 minute booting time !

Considering the number of issues I've seen with Vista as a computer tech, I will stick to my copy of XP Pro loaded with software which I have NEVER had a problem with and runs so much faster than a non loaded Vista machine.
Old 01-19-08, 10:11 PM   #23
Pingjockey
Sailor man

As a Windows user and as an Administrator I feel that all versions of Windows have had their issues.

Windows 95: Can we forget how many different osr packs they released (3 or 4 maybe) and USB support was iffy at best. Not all that bad though as a good starting point,

Windows 98: I can still remember the whole BSOD issue when Bill Gates was talking about it. Out of all of the non-NT kernel based Microsoft O/S's this one was good. It had issues as well but they were bearable. Plug and play worked most of the time and USB worked.

Windows ME: Why bother talking about this........

Windows 2000: Now a bunch of people I have talked to over the years swore that this OS was the way to go. Ran well, stable and had a new NT based kernel. USB worked and it supported direct x (unlike NT). This laid the blocks for XP and Server 2k3!

Windows XP: Probably one of the most stable OS's released in a while. Now, mind you that the RTM had some issues like drivers and memory management. Some of those where corrected with SP1 and more where corrected with SP2. Drivers and patches took a while to catch up from windows 2k and 98 but it happened. Server 2k3 ties into XP due to sharing of the kernel. Both o/s's are getting long in the tooth though....

Now, my feelings about Vista. MS has tried to take a whole bunch of different technologies and tie them together all at once. Memory management, security and other things are greatly improved since XP. XP's caching function is improved greatly by the implantation of supercache and readyboost. Some of the sluggish response the OS is giving is due to the fact that supercache is learning what applications you are using and making them available to load quicker. Readyboost will let you use a USB thumb drive as a ram disk of sorts. It works pretty damn good I might add!!

The file copy issues (esp. network copying issues) are being addressed and fixed with SP1 and I am sure as other issues pop up they will be dealt with.

Vista is not all that bad, people that complain or bitch about the OS probably base allot of that on hear say or and not firsthand experience. People that are running it probably don't have their installations optimized as well either. Now, I know that some folks are going to say that the default installation should be optimized out of the box but that’s not going to be the case. Sometimes vendors and software companies err on the side of stability rather than performance.

For example, if you’re running vista with sata drives, do you know that write caching is disabled by default. If you turn it on, you will gain a bit of performance. There are many things you do tweak vista to help but the main thing is to run it on a machine that is not ancient. Yes, Vista likes ram and faster processors but all OS’s are going to behave like that. XP, Linux, FreeBSD and such will scream with a faster rig just like Vista will.

I administer 12 Windows 2000 Servers, 6 Windows 2k3 server SAN units and 130 assets running either XP or 2k. I also deal with Linux and UNIX boxes and have had the chance to beta test server 2008. I also run Windows Vista Ultimate 64 and Linux and Windows XP on my machines here at my home. I like vista the most with Linux a close Second.
I think that windows 7 will be just as rocky at the start as any other MS OS and will get all sorts of complaints just like vista has. The bottom line is that people hate change…..

Just my 2 cents here on this topic….
Pingjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 12:28 AM   #24
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

From my experience unless you have not got my Minimum specs: 3.2ghz, 2gig rams, 7800GT then use Vlite method to install Vista. I have Vista Ultimate running nicely on this machine.

http://www.vlite.net/

With Vlite installation method I have a dual setup with vista/xp. Vista runs nicely on this oldish rig - 2.6ghz, 2gigsram, 6600gtx

you choose to take the bloatware out. Your end up with a Vista OS on steroids.

To early to say Vista is out, its still going through its teething stages plus they got to stop ripping of the buyers - Vista on a Compaq/HP PC running 512ram "Now experinece the autimate entertainment in your living room" :rotfl:

I blame these leechers in there PC shops selling crap spec PCs with Vista on it. A good tech would refuse to sell them in his shop.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

Last edited by kiwi_2005; 01-20-08 at 12:41 AM.
kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 07:11 AM   #25
Pingjockey
Sailor man

I agree, before I build anyone a machine I spend lots of time spec'ing out to make sure it’s going to run well. I just built a machine based on a shuttle g33 based Small form factor pc running a core duo 2 E6750, 2 gigs of ram and a Nvidia 8800GT. Nice box even running vista home premium 32 bit.
Pingjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 08:03 AM   #26
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005
When XP came out people said the same thing except the ram difference was 256mb ram for XP most had 64mb or 128 but when service pack 1 then two came out 256 was not enough. XP was buggy as hell, this is a sht os give me Windows98se anyday while the techs stayed with ( and some still do) Windows 2000 Professional.
In fact Win2k with service pack 4 beats XP pro hands down - gaming wise XP wins.

Dont be scared its only an OS give Vista time and it will be stable as, with 2gigs its stable enough as it is but it can be better i admit. What do we expect its MS all their OS's come out screaming like a baby.
I really cannot see that the two situations with both OS' start and first year in any way compare. The situation and general acceptance with XP improved. Also, with Vista it remains to stay at it's intial low. Also, XP, after one year or so, and the first SP, found growing acceptance. I cannot see an argument to say the same about Vista. I can also refer to a salesman at Saturn (an electronic store chain, one of the two market leaders in Germany, behind Media market which is market leader europe-wide), who told me 8 or ten motnhs ago that Vista lies on the shelöves like bars of lead - and so far that has not changed. It is not wanted, and what Vista they sell, to the greatest part gets sold as preinstalled Vista on Laptop and complete systems. what he said to me short before christmas was this: that over the year the number of complaints and returns has constantly climbed - it is not a rare event that people upgrade to XP.

Also, a substantial majority of business avoids if not boycotts Vista. I wonder why. Obviously it does not offer them enough, and/or is considered to be too risky.

Swim or sink? I dare say it already lies peacefully on the bottom. as subman's cionstant posts suggest, even Bill seem to have lost faith in Vista's bright future.