SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-08-07, 08:40 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Default CompUSA to Shut Down After Holidays

CompUSA, the computer retailer that Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim owned since 2000, will shut its doors after 23 years, succumbing to competition from Best Buy Co. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc.

Restructuring firm Gordon Brothers Group LLC bought the chain for an undisclosed sum and will sell or close its 103 stores after the U.S. holidays, CompUSA said yesterday. The 67- year-old Slim, Latin America's richest man, failed to turn around CompUSA after investing more than $1.5 billion in the chain over eight years.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...zTY&refer=home
Old 12-08-07, 08:49 PM   #2
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Sorry to see them go...they usually had much better machines than other retailers and at reasonable prices. On the bright side however, there should be some fairly decent deals out there.
Intel Core i7 4770K|ASUS Z87Pro|32GB DDR3 RAM|11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Black|256GB Crucial M4 SSD+2TB WD HDD|4X LG BD-RE|32" Acer Predator Z321QU 165Hz G-Sync (2540x1440)|Logitech Z-323 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Pro

Explorer (MSI GL63 8RE-629 Laptop):
Intel Core i7 8750H|16GB DDR4 RAM|6GB GeForce GTX 1060|128GB SSD+1TB HDD|15.6" Widescreen (1920x1080)|Logitech R-20 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Home
JSLTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-07, 09:04 PM   #3
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

The CompUSA I used to frequent (I bought SH2 and 3 there) shut down last summer. Was sad to see it go. Sure enough the probable culprit, a Best Buy was just two stores away in the same strip mall.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07, 04:39 AM   #4
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

I noticed that compared to TigerDirect their prices where not really impressive.
Drebbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-07, 11:15 AM   #5
GunnerGreg
Watch

Downloads: 0

My biggest problem is that my last positive customer experience at a CompUSA store was about 10 years ago in Houston, TX.

The store I went to in the Washington, DC area tried to pull a "bait-and-switch" on me TWICE, once tried to prevent me from leaving the store without submitting to a search (I hadn't bought anything because they were sold out of something I NEEDED, and no, I didn't set off the electronic monitoring thing at the door, and no they weren't polite about it.

I actually went out of my way to go to the local CompUSA here in Little Rock, AR BECAUSE I felt sorry for them. I figured the employees probably didn't get told first, the investors did, and the employees found out about it by hearing it through the media, just like I did. By the time I left, I had been so poorly treated and was so mad that I stopped the manager and told him that he and his employees were getting what they deserved.
GunnerGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 03:19 PM   #6
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

No warning here. One day two were open here and next day closed. No chance to get any good deals.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 04:04 PM   #7
Zayphod
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLTIGER
Sorry to see them go...they usually had much better machines than other retailers and at reasonable prices. On the bright side however, there should be some fairly decent deals out there.
Got one near me, right across the street from Best Buy.
I took a friend there some time back to purchase a cell phone (her first).

The kid (obviously a refugee from high school) barely knew the phone, barely
knew any of the plans for the phone, barely knew about what features it had,
barely knew anything about the other phones at his counter.

CompUSA used to be populated by geeks, fully knowledgeable about anything
that delt with computers. Now, no such luck. They're all over at the Geek Squad.