SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-10-19, 05:33 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default gaming computer and its accessories

Lately I have been on lookout for a gaming computer, this because there are lots of games I really want to play but my laptop I have now is not strong enough.

I have decided that it shall be a stationary, not a laptop. A gaming laptop cost about 2-3 times more than a stationary and you can't upgrade a laptop. Like change graphic card etc.

Before we look into which Computer we want, lets first look at its accessories

Furniture- A good computer desk

Gaming Chair-One which you sit comfortable in when playing games for hours.

Monitor(screen) A good and decent one 23-24 inches.

A good gaming mouse
A good gaming keyboard.

Its purpose is to run games, therefore I need some more gaming accessories, such as

A decent joystick
A decent steering wheel and pedal

Now we have all the accessories so lets take a look at the computer(tower)

It must have at least 6 gb VRAM and 6-8 gb RAM.
Furthermore the cpu must be between 2.5-3 GHz.

To be honest I really don't have so much knowledge when it comes to computer, only what I want or need.

and most important I do not have the money

Markus

Edit
The CPU must have more than 4 GHz

Last edited by mapuc; 06-10-19 at 06:42 PM.
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-19, 06:19 AM   #2
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Lately I have been on lookout for a gaming computer, this because there are lots of games I really want to play but my laptop I have now is not strong enough.

I have decided that it shall be a stationary, not a laptop. A gaming laptop cost about 2-3 times more than a stationary and you can't upgrade a laptop. Like change graphic card etc.

Before we look into which Computer we want, lets first look at its accessories

Furniture- A good computer desk

Gaming Chair-One which you sit comfortable in when playing games for hours.

Monitor(screen) A good and decent one 23-24 inches.

A good gaming mouse
A good gaming keyboard.

Its purpose is to run games, therefore I need some more gaming accessories, such as

A decent joystick
A decent steering wheel and pedal

Now we have all the accessories so lets take a look at the computer(tower)

It must have at least 6 gb VRAM and 6-8 gb RAM.
Furthermore the cpu must be between 2.5-3 GHz.

To be honest I really don't have so much knowledge when it comes to computer, only what I want or need.

and most important I do not have the money

Markus

Edit
The CPU must have more than 4 GHz

First of all, consider leaving out the word "gaming". That word adds a premium to what you're willing to pay. In the industry, it also implies that you want a lot of lights or bold colors. These are things you really need to ask yourself if you need. "Gaming" also implies that you only want to use it for a couple of years before you replace it.

Treat furniture like its furniture. Whatever you get should be able to blend into the rest of your house or room. Imagine you have company coming over and you need to borrow a chair for the dining table. Do you really want your company sitting at the table with everyone in a conventional chair except for one person who looks like they're being executed or getting ready to eject out of a fighter plane? If someone sees your gaming set up, are they wondering where the teenager sleeps?

Think twice about leather for chairs. Leather might look good but it feels very cold in a cool room and super hot in a warm room. Leather is also great if you enjoy the feeling of sweat running down your back and that "peeling" sensation when you stand up.

For your desktop hardware, stay flexible.
Ask yourself what you really need vs what you'd like.
What kind of games are you interested in? What other functions will your desktop need to perform (web surfing, stream uploads and editing)?
If your needs are basic, don't go crazy.

You can find some great pre-built desktops during "back to school" sales. These are bare bones, no nonsense PCs that feature minimal bloatware (if any) and none of the RGB hoo hah coupled with a fairly stout CPU. Upgrading one of these PCs is fairly straight forward (and usually fairly cheap).

What kind of lifespan does your desktop need to be capable of, ie how many years do you plan to run it? A plain-jane pre-built desktop should last you three to eight years or more. A boutique hyper gaming rig is expected to last for 6 months to maybe two years. Boutique hyper gaming rig builders need the return business.

We can get into more details if you want to keep the thread going.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-19, 10:46 AM   #3
ET2SN
ET2/SS

BTW, a couple of things I also wanted to cover.

Don't put the cart in front of the horse. Meaning, don't invest $3,000 in hardware to play a $50 game. This sounds obvious but on the other hand, a lot of people have bought new graphics cards just to play one new game.
If a concept sounds ridiculous, it probably is.

I'm an old fart. Back in my day, if you wanted Total Immersion you learned how to feel it between your ears.

Controllers, yokes, wheels, and pedals. Try to keep it simple, at least at first.
The downside to wheels, flight yokes, and pedals is that they don't disappear when you quit the game. They just sit there, clamped to your desk and in the way. Or, it gives visitors an "Aw, geez. One of those guys.." kind of feeling.

Brand new hardware will NOT give you the reflexes of a 17 year old (AKA Online Gaming). There's a good reason why most pro athletes retire in their 30's. It isn't because their shoes got old.

Wheels, yokes, and pedals won't increase your floor space.
Again, this sounds obvious. Look at this thru someone else's eyes for a minute. Having a wheel, pedals, and a shifter set in a small room looks a lot like having a Christmas tree set up in July.
Meanwhile, you know how much you paid for your controllers and how hard they were to find. To any visitor in your home, assume they'll have no clue but they WILL want to "give 'er a try" (even if the computer is off). This is why its always handy to keep a cricket or baseball bat in your gaming room.

While I'm on the topic, I don't care how much you paid for your wheel, pedals, shifter, HOTAS, and yoke. They WILL wear out, they WILL break.
If you have experience changing the oil and spark plugs/injectors in your car you have the basic mechanical skills to try and fix them. Just keep your fingers crossed you'll be able to find the parts. There is nothing quite like hearing the return spring snap on your brake pedal two days after you fixed it.
Old 06-17-19, 11:34 AM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I don't know how it is in USA and other countries.

Here you have to add the word gaming, if you want a computer with more VRAM than 2 GB and more than 2½-3 GHz cpu

And there's another reason to why I want a stationary and not like what I have now-a laptop. you can replace a graphic card-upgrade and you can upgrade the motherboard-this you can't with an laptop.

Games.

Most of the games I'm interested in need 2 or more GB dedicated VRAM and high GHz and 8 or more GB RAM.

I can, even though I have been told I couldn't, play FS19.
The game is not running perfect it goes up and down in lights-not all the time.

Chair-I have never liked leather furniture or lookalike.

Steering wheel and other things.
Yes here I'm going to stay simpel-Remember if I have to buy or upgrade the upcoming stationary computer I can stil use these.

I had a good joystick from 2002/3-2009/10 and during those years I went from WIN98 to Vista.

I have not been in touch with my cousin for years-´cause he could easily build a strong computer for me-which will cost my far less.

Markus
Old 06-17-19, 12:49 PM   #5
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Don't get me wrong, I hate lap tops.

Like I posted before, you can find GOOD desktop PCs at "back to school" sales and/or at the "big box stores" or on-line. Shop around and you should be able to find one with a monitor included. These are desktops aimed at students going off to Uni. They don't have top-line mother boards and GPUs but they usually have a fairly stout and reliable CPU, which makes for a great starting point. These desktops tend to be priced in the $300-$400 range (US), so we're not breaking the bank.

If you're buying a new store-bought pre-built desktop, the odds are really good its pre-loaded with Windows 10. Win 10 needs a "minimum" of 8 Gigs of RAM to run and most of them are sold with a 1 TB hard drive or an SSD/HD combination, at least that's how the new desktops are sold. Use that to your advantage, no matter which OS you plan to run.

In terms of "FS2019", I'd take a really hard look at it before I bought it. I happened to see it listed on Amazon the other day which is odd for what's essentially donation ware.
The old flavors of FSX are still good (I run FS 2002 and still enjoy it) and X Plane still looks promising.
Most of the flight sim titles still don't make use of multiple CPU cores (like most games) so your biggest bang for the buck comes from CPU clock speed.
Luckily, most newer CPUs are clocked between 3.5 to 4.5 Ghz anyway. You really don't need to consider over clocking.

So, try doing some shopping on Amazon or one of the on-line stores. Search for desktops and take a hard look at the "bargain builds".

Last edited by ET2SN; 06-17-19 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-26-19, 04:38 PM   #6
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Its the graphics card that runs the games .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-19, 04:46 PM   #7
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Sorry for this late reply

It's more the reason I do not have the money to buy these things furniture and computers and other things.

In the beginning, some weeks ago I was looking at gaming computer each day, until I said to myself, why looking when the money is not there.
I already have a almost decent computer-Still getting BSOD, while playing games.

But as mentioned before-If you want more than 1½ -2 GB VRAM and a high cpu/GPU and more than 8 Mb RAM you need to put the word gaming before the word computer.

And furthermore If you want it cheaper, you put the word stationary before gaming. A gaming laptop cost several hundreds of dollars more than a stationary.
And i most cases you can upgrade your stuff.

Markus
Old 06-30-19, 03:05 AM   #8
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Realistically it would cost upward of US$2,000 for a decent computer, I aim on building a new one next year, the main issue I have is finding one (motherboard/GPU card) that will work with Windows 7 64bit.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-19, 01:13 AM   #9
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

The problem i have with upgrading computers is that it is mostly last on my priority list of money allocation .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-19, 05:42 AM   #10
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > bestgamingitems
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-19, 12:09 PM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

gamesmobilepc!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-19, 03:22 PM   #12
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > gamesmobilepc
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote