SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-17-19, 05:15 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default Two graphic cards ?

As mentioned in other threads I had problems with my drivers-BSOD-thing

I did as said on a computer page, updated every driver if, by checking on each one in my driver section.

There I saw I had

AMD Radeon R7 m360(this was also in the article from where I bought it)
and
AMD Radeon R5.

Do my computer use two graphic cards ?

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-19, 06:09 PM   #2
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

First, which OS?
(I for get which you are using... Too many PCs in my head!)

Second, which Processor do you have?
If it is an AMD "APU" (A4/A6/A8/A10/etc.) then the CPU also has a GPU built in...

I'm sure I'll think of a few more questions I should have asked soon enough, I'll edit this post if you haven't replied yet....

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-19, 06:30 PM   #3
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Win10 64bit.

I went back to my driver-section to take a look at which Processor I have and there it was.

AMD A8 -7410 APU With AMD Radeon R5 Graphic.
(Have four of them)

Why didn't I see this when I went through my drivers.

Markus
Old 01-17-19, 10:23 PM   #4
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 337

Hi Markus

I think I can clear this up for you the short answer is no

The Setup you describe is used a lot with HP Hewlett Packard and Lenovo Laptops + a few others , from what you say I think it''s reasonable to assume you only have 1 true Graphics card that will be your AMD Radeon R7 m360

The Radeon R5 is not a really a Graphics card it is a chip either built in your processor or on the Motherboard itself. I'd have to check the specs. AMD call them APU's (accelerated processing units)

As you have a AMD Radeon R7 Graphics card (GPU) this is a dedicated card doing all the work ( Gaming Video encoding etc ) it also has 2 GB of Video Memory (VRAM) allowing for higher Graphics settings in game

The Radeon R5 which comes with your CPU is effectively doing next to nothing they are often referred to as onboard or integrated Graphics you can just about play some games on very low settings with them but in general they perform poorly compared to a proper Graphics card.

If you removed your R7 GPU your PC would switch to using the R5 chip it would still work but it would run like a slug with Gaming in Comparison to a Dedicated Graphics card

If you ever need to confirm what you have you could do this by opening your Device Manager and look under Display adaptors

As far a Drivers are concerned never use utilities that promise to update all your drivers you will just end up with outdated versions and possibly corruptions and even wrong drivers installed and they can sometimes be difficult to remove and fix ( Also BSOD Bluescreens )

Always go to Manufacturers website. As far as Your Graphics card is concerned go to https://www.amd.com/en/support they have an Auto Detect tool which should help

When you say you have 4 x AMD A8 -7410 APU With AMD Radeon R5 Graphics. I think you mean you have 1 CPU with 4 Cores or X4 could be fix rate

The way AMD seem to denote their GPU's and Intigrated Graphics with both R4 R5,6,7's for both I found confusing and glad to have Intel for that alone

None of helps your Bluescreen Problem are you still getting it ? Sometimes they can crop up totally unexpectedly and go away just as mysteriously drivers are often culprits so I hope your fixed up there

Simon
Old 01-18-19, 12:31 PM   #5
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

^ Thank you now I learned a little more about my computer my graphic card or cards.

I presume You were right about my Processor on the left there is this > and when I click on that four new lines appear under the word Processor

Thanks a lot for your help.

Furthermore I did not use one of these utilities when I updated my drivers I did this by my self.

Open my driver section and there I went through each and one of them.

I stille get these BSOD-Thread stuck…. The only thing that is left to be updated or may need an update is my BIOS.

I will not, due to not really understanding what people write on these computer pages, update my BIOS.

Markus
Old 01-18-19, 03:28 PM   #6
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Sorry, got sidetracked and didn't get a chance to check back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg322 View Post

The Radeon R5 is not a really a Graphics card it is a chip either built in your processor or on the Motherboard itself. I'd have to check the specs. AMD call them APU's (accelerated processing units)

Cyborg has the basics right here... more details (not too many):

The A8 is a "Quad Core" CPU, with 4 GPU cores.
I'll try to keep this simple...

Specifically, the "GPU" is on the CPU, but the rest of the "Video Card" is built-in to the Motherboard.

It also uses SYSTEM RAM for the Video.
Unlike your R7 where GPU and Video RAM are all on the same card.
Your R7 uses it's own RAM (most likely DDR5).
(This is a "bottleneck", which is what slows down the APUs vs. a similar PC with a dedicated "Video Card".)

Now that you have an R7 installed, your BIOS detects that, and sets the R7 as the "Primary" and (more or less) ignores the APU's R5, and does not reserve any System RAM for the Video.

The APU's R5 is still useable, but not for rendering video on your primary monitor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ohh, almost forgot...

IF the definition of APU is: "GPU on the CPU chip".

That would mean most (all?) recent Intel CPUs are technically APUs.
Although Intel doesn't use the term.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barracuda

P.S. I re-did this a few times, tried to make it simple, yet more or less complete.
So if you want any more detail on this let me know.

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 01-21-19 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-18-19, 04:57 PM   #7
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you my friends. Your input to my simple question have made me a lot wiser about computers and some of their hardware, such as:

The Graphic cards and it's VRAM
The Processor and it's graphic cards and it's RAM

And now to another question still about computers but this time more about the possibility to play a certain game on my computer.

I have and play without any further problems FS17. I have a few lag now and then, but only for a little second.

I can see my FPS is not more than 29-30 I have seen others having up to 99 FPS. I guess they are playing FS17 on a gaming computer.

Now to my question:

Is it possible for me to play FS19 ?
According to their page
Minimum REQ is:

<LI class=TrT0Xe>OS: 64-bit Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10. <LI class=TrT0Xe>CPU: 2.5 GHz Intel or equivalent AMD quad-core processor. <LI class=TrT0Xe>GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560, AMD Radeon HD 7770 graphics card or better (min. 2GB VRAM, DirectX 11 support)

As I understand it my Graphic card is just above min. req. Not interested in a game with a lot of lags.

Markus
Old 01-19-19, 03:27 PM   #8
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

CPU: 2.5 GHz Intel or equivalent AMD quad-core processor.

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560, AMD Radeon HD 7770 graphics card or better (min. 2GB VRAM, DirectX 11 support)

As I understand it my Graphic card is just above min. req. Not interested in a game with a lot of lags.

Markus

The HD 7000s, last I checked are a "GCN" 1.0 card, the R7s are GCN 1.1 ("Graphics Core Next", it's the AMD code name for the GPU series. My HD4000 and HD6000 is from the "Terrascale" series).
So you have the minimum card but my concern would be the CPU side of this:

Short answer: No I don't think it would Run well.
Long Answer: keep reading...

From AMD's website:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/spec...ons/processors
(Open the spoiler see the specifications)

Quote:
Model: A8-7410 with Radeon™ R5 Graphics
Family: AMD A-Series Processors
Line: AMD A8-Series APU for Laptops
Platform: Laptop
OPN Tray: AM7410JBY44JB
OPN PIB: n/a
# of CPU Cores: 4
# of Threads: 4
Base Clock: 2.2GHz
Max Boost Clock: 2.5GHz
Total L2 Cache: 2MB
Unlocked: No
CMOS: 28nm
Package: FP4
Default TDP / TDP: 15W
Max Temps: 90°C
System Memory Specification: 1866MHz
Memory Channels: 1
Graphics Frequency: 847 MHz
Graphics Model: AMD Radeon™ R5 Graphics
Supported Technologies: Virtualization, AES, Catalyst Software, Switchable Graphics, The Vulkan® API, AMD Elite Experiences, AMD Enduro™ Technology, IOMMU v2.0, Per Core Power Gating (CC6), AMD PowerNow!™, Unified Video Decoder (UVD), Video Code Engine (VCE), Enhanced Virus Protection, AMD App Acceleration, AMD HD3D Technology, DirectX® 12 Technology, FMA4, AVX
DisplayPort: Yes
HDMI: Yes

The "base clock" is 2.2ghz, but the "Boost" is 2.5ghz...

Boost only occurs when the chip 'needs' it and has the Thermal capacity to do so.
If the system needs the extra boost and is at 70F/21C, then it could "boost" up to 2.5GHZ, but if it is 140F/60C it most likely will not "boost", and would stay at 2.2ghz.

If it would run, then this might be what would lead to lag issues in the game.

All game's framerates are limited by either the GPU or the CPU...
As the resolution and/or graphical detail (Anti-aliasing, HDR, higher res textures/etc.) increases the GPU must spend more time computing each frame, since there are more "pixels" to render.
So framerate will drop (compared to a lower Detail/Resolution setting).

If the CPU gets bogged down with other things and does not send the data to the GPU fast enough, the GPU is "starved" for data, so the framerate will no longer climb/drop.

This is probably why they specify a 2.5GHZ minimum, to keep up with the Video Card.

Barracuda

P.S. is your PC a Laptop, or a Desktop?

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 01-21-19 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-19-19, 06:47 PM   #9
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Laptop HP.
Interesting read I must say.

Markus