SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-06-18, 09:02 AM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Susan Bradley's reply. I admire some people's self-control and patience.

https://www.askwoody.com/2018/patch-lady-my-response/
Old 08-11-18, 01:16 PM   #17
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

As expected.

Day before yesterday I got an update from MS.
And today when I started my computer(have been shutdown for about 17 hours) it shut it self off at start up.

Now I'm waiting on the first BSOD.

Don't know it it's my computer or if it is what Skybird says-MS mess things up.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-18, 05:57 PM   #18
Skybird
Soaring

Sorry that you got hit.

The past patching cycle was and still is a mess. And what has been released in August, is a mess as well.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...y-patches.html

I have since longer time my internet connection defeined as "metered", that blocks so far all pathes, even those whose delay interval has been eaten up.

Not to have a patched system, and not to have the latest Windows Defender definitions, these days is the much safer option. How things have changed in the past 2, 3 years. Or better: how things have been changed by Microsoft. I remember it when getting patches and driver updates as fast as possible was safe, and the best way to keep your house clean. Today it is the best method to spell desaster, it seems.
Old 08-21-18, 12:25 PM   #19
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Let me tell a little story, a few days late, if I may...

I use Win7 for the most part, but also have a laptop with Win8.1 on it, which I never much cared for - the Win8 that is - "tiles"... Anyway, I did the "Inside Ring" with Win10 RC1 onwards, and initially liked it. Then they started adding in stuff after RC2, and ruined the audio stream, which is very important to me. I completely dropped Win10 just before public release. I did not want it. Still don't - but I have it anyway, whether I like it or not...

I've managed to catch all of the MS "tricks" on my Win7 machines, like their doing double-negatives to answer a question (say whuh?), which reminded me of all of those "piggybacking" browser toolbars that ride along with Adobe "software". I missed ~something~ on the Win8.1 laptop - though I haven't a clue what it was... It's been sitting under my bed, not even plugged in for the last several months. The wireless NIC is just too inconsistent to make the machine usable for a human. But not for Microsoft apparently. Those little quiet times when it could "talk", resulted in what I call an "un-authorized" downloading of Windows 10. When I opened the laptop the other day to once again begin using it for school work, it was "updating", then re-booting, then "updating" again, then re-booting again. I just left it alone to do its thing. Well, imagine my wonderment when I opened it several hours later, and I see the light shining through the window on the right side of the screen...

It wanted to "authorize" itself, of course, and verify my license for the old Win81 install that ~had~ been on the computer. Now, imagine for a moment - this is my sons old computer. I created an account on it to use it. Windows 8 requires a Windows Live Log-on, so I used mine from back when (Vista??), which is the same thing from my Win10 RC days... When Win10 goes to "authorize", it wants the original log-in for the computer. Guess what the Win10 install completely wiped-out? Three guesses, but the first two don't count... OK, let's "Roll-back" the machine to Win8.1... guess what? There isn't a "save" of that...

Then there's the "Live Chat" session that I'll not get into here (yet)... We did finally remember the original Windows 8 log-in my son used years ago, and we did get Win10 "authorized", but... I did NOT want it to begin with... But I got an email the other day, telling me about how great my Windows experience has been...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 02:13 PM   #20
Skybird
Soaring

You are blessed with that you are being taken care of. Its all for your best.
Old 08-21-18, 07:29 PM   #21
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

All I could do was laugh at that remark Sky, not much point crying!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote