SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-14-18, 06:19 PM   #1
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Default New PC build

Her indoors has just informed me that her laptops not working anymore and it's also got a cracked screen. So my spare laptop is now in her possession and she's bloody complaining that win7s on it and she wants her win10 back up and running, grrrrrr. She's also decided that my desktop machine would be much better for her as they are more robust than these flimsy toy laptops I've been foisting upon her, (she wanted one of the bloody things) grrrrrr bloody women.

So I got my miniscule brain into gear and looked in the PC spares cupboard for the parts I'm gonna need, lo and behold I've got nearly everything I need to do an old rebuild for her but I'm three things short for my almost brand new re-build. These 3 parts below are what I've been looking at from amazon for £651.40, so I just happened to mention the price of them to her and she replied it's all my fault for buying her a shoddy laptop in the first place, grrrrr. You can't win against Bloody women's logic like she's got.

Intel i7-7700K Quad Core 4.2GHz LGA1151 HD 630 8MB Intel HD Graphics Cache 91W TDP CPU Processor

ASUS LGA 1151 STRIX Z270E GAMING Intel Z270 ATX Motherboard - Black

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz C15 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit - Black

A slight problem though, I did read somewhere that Intel and Microsnot had got their heads together and certain motherboards and CPUs would not entertain the installing of Win7 upon them, I was just wondering if any of you more knowledgeable brain boxes could confirm that and would I be able to install my Win7 pro upon this new system, any help will be appreciated, even if it's no help at all.
Old 01-15-18, 12:49 PM   #2
Moonlight
Admiral

Update, after doing some boring research I've found out that win7 is not compatible with a 7th generation cpu, I've gone and ordered the exact same parts that are in my desktop PC so she won't have any reason to accuse me of foisting even more shoddy goods on to her.

Quote:
ASUS LGA 1151 STRIX Z270E GAMING Intel Z270 ATX Motherboard - Black
In the manual it says that Win 7 is only available with a 6th generation cpu, apparently Intel has stopped supporting windows 7 using their 7th gen CPU's, hmmm that's that sorted then.
Old 01-16-18, 01:53 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Honestly said, building a new system on the premise to make Win7 running on it, is pointless by now. The situation with W7 has been systematically messed up by Microsoft like with W10.

If you do work and private stuff on the rig, or do shopping and banking on it, I would not run with W7 anymore, but then, I would also not run W10, but Linux.

I planned to do so myself last year, getting a new system and Win7 running on it, but then decided, after testing it and bogging down deeper and deeper into a stinking swamp named Microsoft policy, that it was not worth it any longer.

The latest patches and messups committed by Microsoft in the wake of Meltdown and Spectre 1 and Spectre 2, do not make it any better, and will not make it any better in the future (they only mitigate, btw, an attack - they do not close security holes, that is not possible via software and BIOS and firmware updates). Especially when using AMD processors. There have been so many patches by now and them braking more things than they did good, that nobody seems to know anythign for sure anymore, and the confusion is complete. Conidering that there still are no known exploits due from Meltdown and Spectre1+2 conducted, the aptches so far have done incrodbly much more damage, than the exploits they claim to adress.

If you are not gaming: get a cheap machine, get Linux Mint on it, and forget about it all. Windows is only needed for professional use of professional software, and gaming.

Be advised that currently even VM functionality of VMs under Linux is messed up, due to Kernel changes after Meltdown and Spectre. Its a mess, a mess a mess.

Also be advised that you cannot avoid the broken oatches by Microsoft endlessly, at some point they will be installed to your machine, even against your will and against your settings. Rcently, buld 1703 was pushed to 1709 on many machines even with users having set options to prevent that. Microsoft owns your hardware and does on it what it wants, they do not ask you anymore. And if what they do brakes your system - your problem. Many AMD users just learned this lesson once again in the past days.

Consider to invest just into a cheap, temporary solutions, and go for the main solution in two or three years. With new chips that do not suffer performance losses due to "patches".
Old 01-17-18, 02:55 PM   #4
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
Update, after doing some boring research I've found out that win7 is not compatible with a 7th generation cpu, I've gone and ordered the exact same parts that are in my desktop PC so she won't have any reason to accuse me of foisting even more shoddy goods on to her.
Hi Moonlight

This may be to much of a hassle for you but if you want to save a bit of cash you could do a free upgrade on your old system from W7 to W10

The GWX Upgrade Tool Control Panel ended in 2016 but the tools themselves still work and you would still end up with a Valid Digital License

You would need to be quick as MS are stopping that too, I'm not sure when

You could then clone the OS to your new PC ( there are a few ways of doing that ). I've not tried it myself but it should work in theory.

I'm assuming that having a ASUS LGA 1151 STRIX Z270E GAMING Intel Z270 ATX Motherboard you are using new build for Gaming. you don't mention a dedicated GPU in your list . What do you intend to use?

There are also other much cheaper options for your MB and still have a Z270 Chipset or even the new Z370 So called "Gaming" motherboards offer really poor bang per buck compared to other components. Unless you want flashing LEDs and slots for 4 GPUs
I personally think investing in decent GPU, PSU , RAM or to a lesser degree an SSD or Case Fans is a wise choice, Building a new system is all about spending your hard earned cash on right components at the right cost

Simon
Attached Images
File Type: gif animated-union-jack-01.gif (7.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-19-18, 02:57 PM   #5
Moonlight
Admiral

2nd update.
There was a problem with the delivery of the parts I'd ordered and they wouldn't be here until next Tuesday, her indoors wasn't very pleased about that so she suggested that I order the original parts because she has win10 so it wouldn't be a problem.

The next sentence she came out with was can I have a new graphics card to go with these new parts I was getting her as well, me thinks I've been had for a mug, I'm beginning to think my sweet lady has been possessed by a mischievous imp, the parts will be here tomorrow.

An nvidia 970 gtx graphics card has been ordered for her, so I'm not the monster from the black lagoon anymore, its surprising how you can be a monster one moment and then become a sweet little angel the next when these bloody women get their way.
Old 02-20-18, 07:25 AM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

So, how did it all work out? Got it assembled and running?
Old 02-20-18, 08:15 AM   #7
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 337

The GTX 970 has been superseded by the 1070 for quite a while now . It has a slightly higher spec . [ Some double the VRAM @ 8gb]

I'm surprised you can still get hold of 1 unless your buying used + old stock and may not be necessarily cheaper

There is also the possibility its a return . Are you ordering this described as new ?

Simon