SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-20-13, 02:59 AM   #16
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I still have no card and could not test it - but EVERYBODY seems to say that what you suggest does not work, that the 10.1 Note by default does not move apps from internal to external memory card.

May I ask where you got your info? Do you suggest it by theoretic idea only, or do you have experience with the Note 10.1 and have done it like that?

Or are we talking about two different things that I am just not aware of?
Welcome to the world of Android. Remember, the different manufacturers modify android to their liking, so your Samsung is different than my Motorola in many key aspects, and our devices are different than an HTC, LG, or Asus device. This might simply be a feature that Samsung doesn't support

You can try flashing a custom rom, but the note with its active digitizer makes it slightly harder to find a good custom rom.
Old 06-20-13, 04:51 AM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I had read about the rooting procedure and the reflashing - technical articles of which I cannot claim to have really understood the implications, so there is too huge margin for something stupid that I could do by fault, and I will not take that risk. I improvised with limited starter knowledge on some computer things in past years, but here I see that I simply understood too little as if the risks can be confidently seen as "managable".

Is there any way in which I could ban app getting started by default when booting the tab? First thing I do is using the widget that lists running applications, and usually there is alredy Google Music or Goole-something running - I have not even mnaually used this so far. So I use the "all" option to shut apps down, then I use the RAM Manager, which after booting typically lists 570-600 MB used, and delete the memory there, too: and there comes the message that 50+ (!) apps have been shut down, and the RAM drops to 470-500 MB. Where can I tune the installed apps and mark them as starting when booting, or staying switched off until being called up by the user?

And is there any setting where I could rule that all apps I leave again, will shut down instead of running on in the background?

Some of the design features in Android really leave my with a risen left eyebrow.

I nevertheless tried again with Opera, this time "mobile". It is only slightly faster, but at least the synchronization with the bookmarks from my PC worked. However, selecting them by the menu is a multi-click festival. Two questions. When accessing the device via PC (USB cable), and scanning the folder structure, where are the bookmarks stored and could be manually altered? Second, is there any way in this or any other browser to make surfing a more enjoyable experience and bookmarks accessible in a comfortable, easier way.

The Google browser is fast, yes, but I have no love for how it handles. I just don't get it, it seems.
Old 06-20-13, 06:50 AM   #18
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
May I ask where you got your info? Do you suggest it by theoretic idea only, or do you have experience with the Note 10.1 and have done it like that?

Or are we talking about two different things that I am just not aware of?
My info is from using my phone (SGSII), but having just read up a bit on it it seems the latest versions of Android no longer support moving apps to cards - I think it stems from too many complaints of moved apps not working correctly, but all mine are just dandy.

Hopefully there'll be a revision by Google.
Old 06-20-13, 09:16 AM   #19
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

From Zen I suggest Star Wars episode V.
Pinball Arcade is best there is , the physics is emulation of RL machines that are more challenging to play.
To solve your OS issues you better figure out the rooting method.
This way you may get fully customisable OS.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-13, 04:03 PM   #20
the_tyrant
Admiral

Quote:
I had read about the rooting procedure and the reflashing - technical articles of which I cannot claim to have really understood the implications, so there is too huge margin for something stupid that I could do by fault, and I will not take that risk. I improvised with limited starter knowledge on some computer things in past years, but here I see that I simply understood too little as if the risks can be confidently seen as "managable".

Is there any way in which I could ban app getting started by default when booting the tab? First thing I do is using the widget that lists running applications, and usually there is alredy Google Music or Goole-something running - I have not even mnaually used this so far. So I use the "all" option to shut apps down, then I use the RAM Manager, which after booting typically lists 570-600 MB used, and delete the memory there, too: and there comes the message that 50+ (!) apps have been shut down, and the RAM drops to 470-500 MB. Where can I tune the installed apps and mark them as starting when booting, or staying switched off until being called up by the user?

And is there any setting where I could rule that all apps I leave again, will shut down instead of running on in the background?

Some of the design features in Android really leave my with a risen left eyebrow.

I nevertheless tried again with Opera, this time "mobile". It is only slightly faster, but at least the synchronization with the bookmarks from my PC worked. However, selecting them by the menu is a multi-click festival. Two questions. When accessing the device via PC (USB cable), and scanning the folder structure, where are the bookmarks stored and could be manually altered? Second, is there any way in this or any other browser to make surfing a more enjoyable experience and bookmarks accessible in a comfortable, easier way.

The Google browser is fast, yes, but I have no love for how it handles. I just don't get it, it seems.
I don't think you can stop many of the default apps from starting unfortunately on a factory without rooting your phone. This thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...-starting.html has some suggestions however.

But always remember, many OEM applications and Google applications and carrier applications (though I believe your tablet doesn't have a data connection? This is probably not an issue) cannot be "banned" from starting. After all, where will they mine your personal info and sell it (just pulling your leg here, I'm almost 100% sure that Samsung or google or t-mobile doesn't sell your data, they have mine after all).

As for the browser, if you use chrome on a home computer, you can use chrome on your phone to sync everything. Other than the syncing, I find that the default android pack in browser is actually the best when it comes to performance (purely personal opinion, I don't have data to back it up).

When it comes to modifying folder structure and what not, I would recommend against it. It is pretty hard to figure out (I'm not even sure you can access certain folders from a PC to be honest), and it is way to easy to mess up.

When it comes to mobile stuff, these guys are who I usually go to: http://www.mobilenations.com/

PS: Skybird, if you want to use a good mobile OS, try Meego or WebOS. Unfortunately, both are effectively dead. I personally have a soft spot for WebOS. I would really recommend that if you are looking for a toy to pick up a WebOS device (you can probably find an HP Veer for under 100$, makes for a really good "semi smartphone"). WebOS is SO good, it makes android look like it was designed by a maniac, iOS look like it was designed by a monkey, and Windows Phone look like it was designed by a 3 year old. In fact, most of the good things in android only happened because Google hired the lead designed of WebOS.

Last edited by the_tyrant; 06-20-13 at 04:23 PM.
the_tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-13, 06:27 PM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

Well, Google has blocked my new Visacard after 5 or 5 minor sales, and when I asked where the security problem was that the generated error message referred to, they blocked the whole Wallet account instead of an explanation. No reply all day long so far.

Running into town, and checking with the bank. Card's alright, banks says. Return home, and have gotten a gmail - did I already mention that I hate gmail as well? - from not German but some international section of Google, in English, complaining (!) that I did not contact the German service, which as a matter of fact I did because the automatic confirmation that my first gmail was received, was coming from German Google.

I knew it. Was just a question of time before them and me start going after each other. I wish I would have more men with guns than they have servers.
Old 06-21-13, 08:46 PM   #22
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

Quote:
The whole tech business displays a monumental amount of stupidity and ignorance on this "feature". Somebody should get spanked for that. Idiotic.
Point is, applications will always run smoother and faster from onboard storage rather than from a memory card. It also removes the problem of poor-quality memory cards that can wreck user experience. This is why phone and tablet manufacturers are moving away from expandable memory and simply increasing onboard storage.

Same goes for the task killer/momery cleaner programs. At this point Android does a good job of memory management and task management that ad-hoc task killing and Ram shuffling can actually increase processor workload and thus decrease battery life. Up until Android 2.4 (ish) a task killer was very necessary due to leaky RAM management, but not anymore.

I myself have been using a Samsung Galaxy Tab for about 18 months, aside from slightly frantic HD decoding I can't fault it.
Old 06-22-13, 06:16 AM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

Google has blocked my card. Reentering card data did nothing, deleting it completely and adding it new also did not help. Support - from Google? Zero. Rien. Nada. Nothing. Nichts. They lead you in endless circles, the same online "help" sites with unproficient "help", and online forms that do not allow enough space. Me replying to a German Gmail from German staff led to an English reply demanding I should contact the German site, at best via online form from which I started. Repeating it led to a complaint why I do not use the German site, while I used the German site. Using a general address of theirs via my PC email accounts and describing the mess they created, led to a brief reply that I should contact the online help site where I got started. And so on, and on. So far 5 iterations. Meanwhile, my wallet acccount got deactivated completely, and I my card cannot be entered anymore at all, gets deleted as fast as I enter it.

Was at the bank yesterday. The card is absolutely okay, free, unblocked, with more than sufficent financial basis.

This is the most customer-hostile "service" I have experienced since many years, since my almost-lawyer run clash with a telefon company. A total piece of SH!T what Google delivers there. They really have done anything they can to prevent people contacting them, and those few surviving the labyrinth get frustrated in the most perfected manner I have ever seen.

Was looking for a service telephone number, and search got me a link. On the linked site - they again refer to their online "help" centre.

A nuke falling on top of them - I would not mind one bit.

Zero points, total frustration, total customer support failure. The definite worst case scenario possible for a matter like this.

Point is, intitially I was successful in gmailing German staff, they send a reply. And then nothing. Impossible to reach that man again via his own mail. They have done all that they can to prevent people contacting them directly. Impossible.

Next week they will get a paper letter from me with some very clear and unhidden comments on what their customer service is worth for. I expect to receive a letter in French as a reply, complaining about why I do not use the German online form.

Google shall burn.
Old 06-22-13, 07:13 AM   #24
the_tyrant
Admiral

why don't you connect your PayPal to your google account, and your credit card to your PayPal? That is what I do on my phone, and it should be possible on Android (I don't have my android device with me on vacation, also, I'm posting this from the Vatican)

also, its time to take this as a cue to sell your galaxy and switch to an iPad
Old 06-22-13, 07:38 AM   #25
MH
Ocean Warrior

It must be Karma thing , i had no problems with google accounts or know anyone who had.
It happened my purchases had not been authorised a few times for some odd reason, i simply tried again a little later and it was all good.
Don't know.....
Old 06-22-13, 08:59 AM   #26
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
why don't you connect your PayPal to your google account, and your credit card to your PayPal? That is what I do on my phone, and it should be possible on Android
Google Playshop accepts no PayPal. And I would need to restore Paypal again, too, I cancelled that one also two years ago. Maybe I would, but still: Google accepts no Paypal.

Unfortunately, there is no alternative to Playstore in its diversity of available apps of all kind, else I would tell Google they could kiss me where the sun does not shine. Amazon app store is poorly equipped, in comparison, and other minor platforms I visited are even smaller, and often suspicious.

I just installed a second account, user account I mean. It functions - but the same credit card - mind you, the one of which the bank says it is completely okay - immediately got locked again, and the wallet account again got deleted.

This is the worst customer service I have ever seen in any company. It is practically non-existent. And this constantly being sent into the same racetrack pattern again and again is what I maybe take even more queer than the problem with the card. Problems can happen with tech stuff. Hostility to customers and trying to scare them away if they have complaints or problems, leaving them alone with the trouble - that is unforgivable.

I did not know how much tabs with Android depend on Google, and if I had forseen the trouble Googles gives me know, I probably would have skipped the buy and waited for a cheaper W8 tablet.
Old 06-22-13, 09:52 AM   #27
the_tyrant
Admiral

buy a prepaid card? http://play.google.com/intl/en_us/about/giftcards/

not sure if they are available in Germany though. If you are interested, I can help you pick some up in Canada (once I get back of course)
Old 06-22-13, 12:20 PM   #28
Skybird
Soaring

Thanks for the offer, but I think this cannot be the solution. They messed something up, they do not care for fixing it or explaining it or talk with me, and so I will stop trying to squeeze myself into their golden rectum. I never was a friend of their privacy violation policies, with even greater enthusiasm I will now tell everybody willing to listen what desinterested loosers they are regarding customer service, too. After all they make a perfect textbook example for my argument that monopolies must be prevented and monopolists must get destroyed at all cost.

I hope the already payed apps of mine are not a loss once I need to reinstall them!?

Got myself a Bamboo Stylus this afternoon. Makes a great difference, compared to the - too thin - default stylus.
Old 06-22-13, 12:22 PM   #29
MH
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I hope the already payed apps of mine are not a loss once I need to reinstall them!?
No.
All you have to do is login to playstore and click MyApp.
Old 07-15-13, 06:46 AM   #30
Skybird
Soaring

Somebody said that security on Android is something I should not worry about, because it were Android. Well, that is wrong - Android is coming increasingly under attack, and the German BKA and BSI just end of last month warned of a massive attack wave that used over one dozen zero day exploits in one rush.

The good news is that the apparently best protection suite according to this site

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/mobi...roid/jan-2013/

is FREE. I recommend to check for TrustGo. It runs on my device without any trouble or complications. German site hinting me at it also said that it is extremely battery-friendly.

My Playstore account is unlocked again. But it took two increasingly unfriendly paperletters with really some claws and teeth in the wording. Power to the paperletter-writers!