SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-13, 06:24 AM   #1
toni007
Ensign

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 0
Default My cpu shows wrong temperature???

Hi all,
Today i have cleaned my cpu Intel Dual core 2.2gz E1500 and its fan out of dust because it was overheating last time,going to 80 celsius temperature,and between fan and cpu it was load of dust,blocked,thats why it was overheating,i cleaned it...

and when i assembled all back and started pc i ran an program core temp 0.99.4.

and it shows something like this :

-41 C (!) (?)
for both cores
than jumps on +85C(!)
and than back on -41???

It worked before i removed dust from my case.now it doesnt work..

why,what happened??

I noticed some broken green paste on my cpu and on cpu fan and i removed it...

why is this happening to me,why core shows wrong temperature?

BTW, it seems like computer is now slower than it was when running firefox on task manager cpu usage is constantly jumping from 15%% to 100%?

I need quick answer if someone knows...

could i took off accidentaly thermal paste? is that why?
toni007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-13, 06:34 AM   #2
AndyJWest
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The "broken green paste" you removed was conductive paste, and must be replaced if you are to avoid damaging the CPU.

As for what is happening at the moment, your CPU us overheating, dropping to a slower clock rate to avoid burning out, and then going back to speed as it cools. Though this may protect it in the short run, cycling the temperature like that will damage it in the long run. Buy some paste, and fix the problem properly.
Old 07-10-13, 06:40 AM   #3
toni007
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
The "broken green paste" you removed was conductive paste, and must be replaced if you are to avoid damaging the CPU.

As for what is happening at the moment, your CPU us overheating, dropping to a slower clock rate to avoid burning out, and then going back to speed as it cools. Though this may protect it in the short run, cycling the temperature like that will damage it in the long run. Buy some paste, and fix the problem properly.
how to apply conductive paste and how much it costs,help?
and what is diffrence between conductive and thermal paste?
please answer before my cpu burns out!!!
Old 07-10-13, 06:52 AM   #4
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Paste is available from places like Amazon.com (use the Subsim link) from just a few USD - 12 HRK, and there are myriad video on youtube of how to apply the paste.

There is no difference between thermal and conductive.

Stop using your PC until it's done!!!
Old 07-10-13, 07:14 AM   #5
toni007
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Paste is available from places like Amazon.com (use the Subsim link) from just a few USD - 12 HRK, and there are myriad video on youtube of how to apply the paste.

There is no difference between thermal and conductive.

Stop using your PC until it's done!!!
i turned it off. i cant watch video because my computer off. also i broke sata cabel by accident,how much they cost?
Old 07-10-13, 07:45 AM   #6
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni007 View Post
i turned it off. i cant watch video because my computer off. also i broke sata cabel by accident,how much they cost?
Maybe 5-8 HRK?

Ask friends if they have a spare one, some usually come with HDDs and motherboards.

How do you break a SATA cable?
Old 07-10-13, 07:59 AM   #7
toni007
Ensign

Quote:
Maybe 5-8 HRK?

Ask friends if they have a spare one, some usually come with HDDs and motherboards.

How do you break a SATA cable?
i just broke part of plastic on conector when pluged it out from hdd, and it doesent fit anymore...
Old 07-10-13, 09:50 AM   #8
BrucePartington
XO

Downloads: 33

Quote:
i just broke part of plastic on conector when pluged it out from hdd, and it doesent fit anymore...
Common mistake. Many people don't realise they have to depress both tabs on the SATA connector before pulling it out, hence they break the connector and it won't hold any more.
When you get yourself a replacement cable, make sure you depress the tabs when connecting / disconnecting.

On thermal paste, you can usually find it in most computer hardware stores. It's usually not lethally expensive (about 6 euros where I live). It comes in a little syringe, for ease of use.
When applying the paste, take care not to overdo it. It is no good to apply a thick coating, and it is a waste. A thin and well spread coating is best. Apply a small amount and spread it well and evenly on the whole mating surface, just enough so the underlying surface is not visible. Take out any excess paste. I usually apply it to the cooler mating surface, not the CPU. Mounting the cooler on the CPU then ensures the paste contacts both evenly.

If you have never done it, don't worry. It's easier than it sounds. Once you've done it, you realise there is nothing to it.
And if you're still in doubt, ask a friend. I am sure someone you know has already done it.
And then there is the internet. If you have access to another computer, search for tutorials on how to apply CPU thermal paste.

Good luck.
BrucePartington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-13, 01:04 PM   #9
toni007
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePartington View Post
Common mistake. Many people don't realise they have to depress both tabs on the SATA connector before pulling it out, hence they break the connector and it won't hold any more.
When you get yourself a replacement cable, make sure you depress the tabs when connecting / disconnecting.

On thermal paste, you can usually find it in most computer hardware stores. It's usually not lethally expensive (about 6 euros where I live). It comes in a little syringe, for ease of use.
When applying the paste, take care not to overdo it. It is no good to apply a thick coating, and it is a waste. A thin and well spread coating is best. Apply a small amount and spread it well and evenly on the whole mating surface, just enough so the underlying surface is not visible. Take out any excess paste. I usually apply it to the cooler mating surface, not the CPU. Mounting the cooler on the CPU then ensures the paste contacts both evenly.

If you have never done it, don't worry. It's easier than it sounds. Once you've done it, you realise there is nothing to it.
And if you're still in doubt, ask a friend. I am sure someone you know has already done it.
And then there is the internet. If you have access to another computer, search for tutorials on how to apply CPU thermal paste.

Good luck.
I fixed everything!

I bought Delock sata and Arctic thermal paste for 11 bucks.

I bought Arctic MX-4 (4 grams) paste for 6.5 bucks.

it says 8 years durabilty,must be damn good paste.

Now my temperature readings are normal, 45-50 celsius on idle ( when using firefox 55-60 C)

also my computer is faster with new sata cable on hdd.
Old 07-10-13, 01:29 PM   #10
BrucePartington
XO

Downloads: 33

Quote:
I fixed everything!

I bought Delock sata and Arctic thermal paste for 11 bucks.

I bought Arctic MX-4 (4 grams) paste for 6.5 bucks.

it says 8 years durabilty,must be damn good paste.

Now my temperature readings are normal, 45-50 celsius on idle ( when using firefox 55-60 C)

also my computer is faster with new sata cable on hdd.
Great news
Now go get those convoys
BrucePartington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-13, 01:34 PM   #11
toni007
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePartington View Post
Great news
Now go get those convoys
Yea i wish, read this thread http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=205491
Old 07-10-13, 01:55 PM   #12
toni007
Ensign

my cpu is still getting over 70 degreese celsius (maybe because its 30 celsius in room) when i play videogames ( when i played it reached even 80 )...
tjmax is 85 celsius...

I should add one fan inside computer,maybe cpu fan is not strong enough...?
Old 07-10-13, 02:06 PM   #13
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

I don't think 70 playing a game is too bad, but would recommend a case fan or two. I'll still send this one but it's not designed to be a case fan on its own but to draw heat from specific devices.
Old 07-10-13, 02:10 PM   #14
toni007
Ensign

Quote:
I don't think 70 playing a game is too bad, but would recommend a case fan or two. I'll still send this one but it's not designed to be a case fan on its own but to draw heat from specific devices.
Il pm you tomorrow.