SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-21-08, 06:08 PM   #616
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

It has been suggested before

In tree mode, multiselection is not supported, nor will I make it so. The biggest problem is the native windows treeview does not support multiselection so I would have to code a custom treeview control completely by myself. Too much work and not worth my time.

The list mode does support multiselection though, this was my 'reply' to the request. My tip would be, in tree mode, find the first and last index that you want to keep in the file, then switch to list mode, and select all the nodes at once using ctrl/shift etc., and then delete... I've done this many times myself, and you can do it in a couple of secs.

I'm sure you can do this faster in hex, but I want to see you insert a 3D model with tmaps from 4 obj-files in hex. I'll wait for a few days, let me know!

[edit] As far as tutorials are concerned, sometimes it's better to just keep the explanation simple, which sometimes involves more handwork. If every trick or shortcut has to be written down, tutorials become too lengthy and/or with too many side paths and are more difficult to understand... It's always hard to determine what is the best way to explain things. This is also true for S3D, there is no 'set' way to achieve things. One can do certain things in more than one way in most cases...
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 06:13 PM   #617
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

:rotfl:

Well,
I have been properly chagrined.

Now, what did I do with that animation info I was gonna send you?
:hmm:
Old 04-21-08, 06:25 PM   #618
skwasjer
The Old Man

I've already retrieved it from your harddisk using S3D... :rotfl:

Old 04-21-08, 06:30 PM   #619
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Now you know someone out there is gonna FREAK out don't you?

Besides,
it's not on the HD.

Tis in my knoggin!!!
Old 04-21-08, 06:33 PM   #620
skwasjer
The Old Man

lol, let the paranoia begin!!!

[edit] I've always wondered why nobody complained about the autoupdate feature. WHAT ARE YOU SENDING TO YOUR SERVER?? Nothing... YEA RIGHT!!
Old 04-21-08, 06:43 PM   #621
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Well,
if you were watching HALF the stuff I do?
You'd wonder why I was still walking around without a straight jacket
and a thorazine drip attached to my arm!!
Old 04-21-08, 06:53 PM   #622
skwasjer
The Old Man

We are not so different privateer

Hey Mikhayl, I hope you don't mind, but I just ordered a new TV, thanks bud!

lol, I better stop now :rotfl:
Old 04-21-08, 07:49 PM   #623
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

:hmm:
What do you guys want with a TransVestite?

Old 04-22-08, 07:12 AM   #624
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18
Default 3ds scene for Skwasjer

hi !
here is is finally : the Jyunsen B coning tower textured:
now I need your help to have a .obj file I can use to replace the 3d in my coning tower , the textures are in the file. The tower is at the right coordinates to fit on the Jyunsen B hull, it might look a bit too forward on a 9dx2 hull like in my beta 3 mod.

download link :
http://www.mediafire.com/?t0c9zx215z6
keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 09:04 AM   #625
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0

Skwasjer

I get the following error when S3D goes to look for an update. I believe this happens when it hasn't been granted access by the firewall. I'd forgot to set the permissions after installing 0.8.1

After this happens, I can reload the program with no errors.

Sorry, there is no crash dump file associated with this that I could post.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 09:38 AM   #626
skwasjer
The Old Man

Thanks swdw, I'll have a look...

Keltos, I can't help you much, 3D modelling is not my field of expertise. All I know is you must collapse the modifier stack (so keep a backup of the max file), and then use an 'Unwrap uvw' modifer to save each uvw channel (if you have more than just the diffuse) as described in my walkthrough. And finally export the actual obj file. Then you can import it in S3D.

And you have to set up the materials in S3D according to what you have done in Max as well.

I noticed you have around 10 materials applied, which seems to much. In this case you also have to bake the current maps into one or two new textures, to simplify the model. How this is done in Max, I don't know.
Remember that if you don't, you must define 10 materials in S3D, and the game must load all 10 textures, which will put a heavy strain on the system/gfx. So better reduce this to 1 or 2 max for diffuse, and a couple more for AO/spec/bump.
Old 04-22-08, 09:56 AM   #627
DrBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by swdw
...after installing 0.8.1...
Jeez...one can't even go on vacations! It's been about 10 days since I downloaded the last (I thought) 0.7.1 version, and now it's up to 0.8.1?!? Pity a guy who doesn't have internet at home and thus can't use the auto-update feature! :rotfl:
Damn skwasjer, you're FAST!

ETA and totally OT, but on what grounds exactly did I make it to the Thanks list? If it's only because I've stated the obvious, i.e. that this is THE best modding tool for SH4, then that list should be pages upon pages long, cause there are LOTS of us who share that sentiment!
ETA #2: Oh well, I can't use the auto-update, but at least my money is safe! :rotfl:

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 10:06 AM   #628
skwasjer
The Old Man

Hehe, the v0.8 branch uptil now are sortof private releases, because it features some new functionality (model import), and needs 'subsim approval' That's why you won't see it through the update checker. But it will be made 'public' in a couple of days with v0.8.2, so the update round continues

As far as the thank you list, yea, I pretty much copy in everyone that has suggested something, provided info, bugreports, the least is enough. I try to update it every couple of releases... Remember, no S3D if there are no customers, I owe it's existance to the users, so pat yourself on the back as well
Old 04-22-08, 10:15 AM   #629
DrBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
Hehe, the v0.8 branch uptil now are sortof private releases, because it features some new functionality (model import), and needs 'subsim approval' That's why you won't see it through the update checker. But it will be made 'public' in a couple of days with v0.8.2, so the update round continues

As far as the thank you list, yea, I pretty much copy in everyone that has suggested something, provided info, bugreports, the least is enough. I try to update it every couple of releases... Remember, no S3D if there are no customers, I owe it's existance to the users, so pat yourself on the back as well
Ah, I see...so, maybe by the time I'm back from my vacations, it'll be up to v.0.9.9 or something! :rotfl:
Keep up the AMAZING job, is all I have to say!

Let the Beast inside you free!
DrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-08, 04:57 PM   #630
skwasjer
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by swdw
Skwasjer, although S3D is associated with several files, I have this problem. Clicking on the file directly (like a .sim file) causes S3D to open, but the file is not loaded into S3D. The files are correctly associated.

Is this a bug or just something you haven't implemented yet?
Forgot to reply to this. It's a S3D bug, and I've just fixed it. It worked in older releases...