Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-18-22, 06:52 AM   #421
Shady Bill
Silent but not deadly

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

On the thought experiment;

As long as you are part of a group, in a post-apocalyptic setting, you are in danger. Your fellow humans pose the greatest threat. Greater than any other threat.

I would find some amanita phalloides, poison our water source and wait.
Acute jaundice, followed by seizures, coma and death.

Once my group was dead I would start a new life with the cow.
Shady Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-22, 07:31 AM   #422
Shady Bill
Silent but not deadly

Thank you all for responding.

I am not building up stocks in my place of residence. You are correct, stocking up at home, even if you live in a sparsely populated area, is no good.

We have some land that has been in my family for a long time. We use to use it for trapping beaver and hunting small game and deer. We had family gatherings, but as family dies off, all that stops sadly. And young people don't care for cabins with no power, running water or internet access.

The nice thing about it is that it is 1) within a few miles of several large abandoned copper mines 2) within several miles of waterways that give access to the Atlantic.

The big negative is that it is 200 miles from my place of residence. Hence the "Plan B" bag I always have on the ready. It is purely designed to effectively transport me and my family to the property up north. It contains some cash, silver bouillon, guns, ammo and food. It holds our passports and other papers that most likely will no longer be useful.

It also holds electronics, hand-held radios, a police scanner. Arduino kits, batteries, first aid and some emergency manuals and my water purifier.
Old 10-18-22, 07:34 AM   #423
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Bill View Post
On the thought experiment;

As long as you are part of a group, in a post-apocalyptic setting, you are in danger. Your fellow humans pose the greatest threat. Greater than any other threat.

I would find some amanita phalloides, poison our water source and wait.
Acute jaundice, followed by seizures, coma and death.

Once my group was dead I would start a new life with the cow.
Nope, that can’t be right either

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-22, 09:03 AM   #424
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Default A Psychological experiment

This experiment is based on ET2SN comment in our "Your Ideal Doomsday Survival Situation/Prepper Thread"

Prolog. A major disaster has killed millions of people around the world.
In a little suburban town only a few has survived the first 3 days and they are 6 in numbers

You are one of them.

Start test:

The situation is as follow-No water, no electricity and no electronic, food well here's the
Problem it's enough canned food for 6 month IF one of these 6 survivor leaves the group.
Which mean they would have enough until late spring the following year. Otherwise they would only
have enough to beginning of March.

Lets concentrate on these 6 adult survivors

1. You.(With the education or skills you have, would it benefit this group ?)
2. Person number 2. Female Educated nurse and she is 35 years old.
3. Person number 3. Male Educated painter 55 years old.
4. Person number 4. Male Educated Woodworker 29 years old
5. Person number 5. Female Educated veterian 40 years old
6. Person number 6. Female Educated-None she is 25 years old but are retarded with a mind of a 10 years
old person-She is being taken care of by person number 2, the 35 years old nurse.

So here is the unwanted question-Test if you want.

Which one of these 6 shall leave the group ???

To use ET2SN own word-There's no right or wrong in the text/experiment.

A REMINDER..some may write something you may dislike...count to hundred or ignore this person.

To Jim-Feel free to remove this thread if it goes out of control.

Let the discussion begin.

I as I am as a person would leave..I would try to find a place to live where there's food and water. but that's me. I'm an educated Electrician and have even skills in woodworking.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-22, 09:11 AM   #425
Shady Bill
Silent but not deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

3. Person number 3. Male Educated painter 55 years old.

6. Person number 6. Female Educated-None she is 25 years old but are retarded with a mind of a 10 years old person-She is being taken care of by person number 2, the 35 years old nurse.

So here is the unwanted question-Test if you want.

Which one of these 6 shall leave the group ???

I am actually very big on the Arts. I think without the Arts we would be savages. That having been said, #3 will be dead before nightfall.

The whole thought experiment took a twisted turn with number 6. I will say, I considered killing off the girl, since she clearly will slow us down. But then we will have become monsters, and there is no more need for us to survive.

Yea...I would kill the artist.

Wait..do we send them away or do they have to be killed?

p.s. if you mean by "painter" someone who does walls and such. Still go with number 3.
Old 10-18-22, 09:13 AM   #426
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Bill View Post
Wait..do we send them away or do they have to be killed?
We send them away or kick them out of the group and let them go into unknown certainty. We aren't not that much inhuman.

Yes painting wall etc.

Markus

Old 10-18-22, 09:18 AM   #427
Shady Bill
Silent but not deadly

Yea, makes sense.

Still bachelor #3 though. He would have decent chance of surviving on his own. Not sure if painting is a highly usable skill in a survival setting.
Old 10-18-22, 09:27 AM   #428
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Drawing lots or murdeirng soembody for an ending 6 months away?

There were planes crashing in desolate places where survivors ended up eating the dead to survive. Grim, but true stories. But they did not make that decision several weeks ahead, but at the most desperate and last moment.

I fear your setup for your mindgame is a too unrealistic as if it would make sense to me.
Old 10-18-22, 09:28 AM   #429
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Threads merged.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-22, 09:30 AM   #430
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Let me reveal something for you.

It started when I read ET2SN first comment about this group and who should be the group leader...When reading it something happened in the backside of my brain...Deja Vú maybe..
Until today some hours ago I suddenly remember it.

We have to go back to the middle of the 90s I was Taking a extra education on my electricity education.

The first 4 weeks was most theory and there we had group work and our teacher Gave us a paper.

A psychological experiment.
Here it was 6 on a little island with sharks in the water-no boats what so ever and the wood had to be used for campfire. Even here we had to discuss who should be thrown into the water.

Oh Man did we have a discussion or not.

That's why I wrote this Reminder and asking Jim to remove this thread if it's goes out of control.

I HOPE it wouldn't go so far

Old 10-18-22, 09:41 AM   #431
Shady Bill
Silent but not deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Grim, but true stories. But they did not make that decision several weeks ahead, but at the most desperate and last moment.

actually, I was watching a documentary about a plane crash the other day...its the famous one, where they landed in the mountains with lots of snow and ate each other to survive. I found it relatively uninteresting so it didn't really sink in.

anyways, I was amazed how quickly and easily they decided to go the cannibalism route. Before considering other options. I remember looking up from the computer while sipping coffee going;"weird, that decision was easily made."
Old 10-18-22, 09:42 AM   #432
Skybird
Soaring

I am curious, what has the trianign for becoming and electrician to do with such a psychologcial group play...? To demonstrate group dynamics when electricians decide who should touch the blank contacts with his wet fingers to see whether power is on or off?
Old 10-18-22, 09:53 AM   #433
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I am curious, what has the trianign for becoming and electrician to do with such a psychologcial group play...? To demonstrate group dynamics when electricians decide who should touch the blank contacts with his wet fingers to see whether power is on or off?
During these 4 weeks of theory we had 3 of those type of test.

After number 2. I asked our teacher Torgny what the purpose was behind these test-Cause the only thing they produce is heavily discussion.

Here is what he answered me
(From Memory)
These test there will be three in all are to learn how to work in groups become "Glued" to your group.

When I left for home I could not help thinking-Aha me as an individual shall make room for the group, I shall think and act as part of this group.

Oh by the way we were divided into two groups. Can't remember if we were same number in each of these two groups.

Markus

Old 10-18-22, 10:05 AM   #434
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
These test there will be three in all are to learn how to work in groups become "Glued" to your group.
I see. But after this group-spirit-forging I must ask this old joke now: how many electricians does it take in Denmark to change a light bulb?

No answer needed. Which is almost a follow-on joke.
Old 10-19-22, 04:43 AM   #435
Gilbou
Chief

Downloads: 152

I think the best place is to stay at home.
Water, food, chemical toilet. If outside a big city, nature would help for a few of those things. In a big city, being top most of a building is essential is gathering rain water to be filtered. You can even grow stuff on a roof.

Discretion is key. Being silent, invisible. Not using anything that makes noise. Bow or crossbow. No gun of any sort. If need to move, never during day. First step in being a target is being visible. Invisible to danger, and those that are also trying to go around danger. Think "Dark Forest".

Not being alone might help. Because alone, any disease or wound can go wrong quickly. Problem is the other people. Very, very few people are trained and disciplined to be able to be silent, quiet and "cold" when it comes to making decisions for survival at all cost.

This means you must be willing to eliminate people around you, quickly, if they pose a survival danger to the group. Eliminating people from your very own group.
Gilbou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doomsday, prepper, preppers, survival