SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-04-22, 07:42 AM   #16
GrenSo
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 578
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Well done GrenSo!

If you like, you can adopt my skin of a Radione R2 for your mod:

I can have a try but this needs more time that the current version of the R3, because:
  1. The button animation is not a click animation but a roation animation and I haven't done that yet and I don't know how it can be implemented with the function of volume
  2. The choice of frequency is also a roation animation and it's depents of the used radio mod where the pointer will stop
  3. Or as an alternative to 2. the frequency display have to split up into 360° and the pointer use the displayed and used frequency from the used radio mod or rather of the used one radio.ini.

But until I will try to adopt your Radione R2 with all functions, I will first finish my new version of the Electrola C106UPgramophon. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=252869

“Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind.” - J.F.K.
GrenSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-22, 03:35 PM   #17
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrenSo View Post
I can have a try but this needs more time that the current version of the R3, because:
  1. The button animation is not a click animation but a roation animation and I haven't done that yet and I don't know how it can be implemented with the function of volume
  2. The choice of frequency is also a roation animation and it's depents of the used radio mod where the pointer will stop
  3. Or as an alternative to 2. the frequency display have to split up into 360° and the pointer use the displayed and used frequency from the used radio mod or rather of the used one radio.ini.
I am aware of those limitations. We can't get knobs to rotate realistically. My ideas on some possible workarounds

• Radio tuning knob

The 'Abstimmung' (frequency selection) knob might be divided in two parts, left and right, with a slight overlapping over the center maybe. Each half should behave as a separate button; the right half as the 'forward' button, and the left one as the 'back' button.
    When one of the buttons is hovered with the mouse cursor, it gets highlighted, but in place of a regular highlight texture a texture with a different rotation of the knob will be triggered; clockwise for the forward button and counter-clockwise for the back one.
    If one of the button is clicked, it should quickly rotate another notch either clockwise or counter-clockwise before returning to the original position, so to denote that the station tuning has been correctly triggered.

• Tuning needle indicator

To the best of my recollection, in stock game the indicator rotates randomly while the radio is searching for the next station, and the position where it stops brings no relation with the frequency of the tuned station, but I can be wrong on that. If the latter is the case, cool, the following website has high resolution pictures of a Radione display:

http://www.museum-zwentendorf.at/438...ione-r9-1.html

We could use the information contained in those pictures to setup realistically the frequencies of the radio stations available in game. Nonetheless, as you already noted, for getting the correct visual output we should make the neeedle to rotate 360 degs, if possible. If not, that's okay too. After all we can't turn a submarine simulation into a radio tuner simulation

• Tuning display and volume knob

We should convert the 'Lautstärke' knob into a play/pause button. Again, hovering that button should "turn" it by one notch, meaning that the button can be clicked. Clicking the button should turn it by another notch. Clockwise for switching from pause to play and vice-versa.
    When the radio is in 'pause' mode, the tuning display should be dark, but it should get lit when the radio is in play mode. Doing so might require the knob and the display lens to be part of the same button though. Note that the lit and unlit lenses in my texture are semi-transparent, so they can overlap the tuning needle giving the impression that the needle is placed below the lens.

• Handle

That should be the spot where you can click for dragging the radio. I have provided an highlighted handle so to make clear for the player that the mouse is in the correct position, but for the same purpose I could create a curved/extended version of the same handle.

For getting all of the above to work as supposed, my texture might require some editing/rearrangement, but that's not a big deal as I have it in photoshop format with most of the interactive parts in separate layers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrenSo View Post
But until I will try to adopt your Radione R2 with all functions, I will first finish my new version of the Electrola C106UPgramophon. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=252869
Take your time on that
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-22, 03:39 PM   #18
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Well done GrenSo!

If you like, you can adopt my skin of a Radione R2 for your mod:

Now THAT is so FREAKING NICE!!!

Old 06-04-22, 04:39 PM   #19
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post

Thank you Jeff. This has been waiting on my HD for ages, together with many unfinished/unreleased mods
Old 06-04-22, 04:45 PM   #20
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:

Yes. But the R3 as simulated by GrenSo works very well AND is in the movie Das Boot. That is a point...

If it is possible simulate the R2 it will be great, but I addopted the R3.

BTW, the dial in SH4 and SH5 has an indicator moving as crazy when you search a radio station. No indication of frequencies. This limitation has the advantage you can add other radio stations, as I did in FOTRSU and TWoS. The indicator (needle) is only an animation - candy.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-22, 04:48 PM   #21
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Yes. But the R3 as simulated by GrenSo works very well AND is in the movie Das Boot. That is a point...

If it is possible simulate the R2 it will be great, but I addopted the R3.

BTW, the dial in SH4 and SH5 has an indicator moving as crazy when you search a radio station. No indication of frequencies. This limitation has the advantage you can add other radio stations, as I did in FOTRSU and TWoS. The indicator (needle) is only an animation - candy.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
It's called Animation on demand. I doubt anyone understands how that works.
Old 06-04-22, 05:29 PM   #22
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
The Radione R2 was produced in Wien starting from 1939, while the R3 was introduced a couple of years later as the military version of the R2.

Sources:
https://www.cryptomuseum.com/spy/radione/r3.htm
https://www.roetta.it/ik3hia/pages/O...radione_r2.htm

Both were adopted by the Kriegsmarine, and the usage of both aboard U-boat is well documented. Uboatarchive.net, for one, mentions the R2 among the U-boat radio equipment. The R3 is not mentioned though. For sure the later model was not available during the first one and half year of the conflict, but it is likely that it became more common towards middle-late war. Those are actual points, I am sorry to say that a motion picture proves nothing
Old 06-04-22, 05:31 PM   #23
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
I am sorry to say that a motion picture proves nothing
BUT, BUT, BUT! It was on the Television! Are you saying that it's not TRUE?

Old 06-04-22, 05:47 PM   #24
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
BUT, BUT, BUT! It was on the Television! Are you saying that it's not TRUE?

Well well, I might sound like a blasphemer, but often truth and TV don't go in the same direction, and under many respects Das Boot is not the most accurate historical account in the history of the seventh art. But I better shut up if I don't want to be sent to the Eastern Front under the allegation of defeatism