SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-13-22, 08:54 AM   #1
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0
Default snorkel question

just started a late was career using Toyotagt86 v2.2 and have equpted my Type IXB boat with the snorkel. It seems to recharge batteries but my speed drops to 0kts. I'm trying to maintain 3-5kts. My depth is " snorkel depth " (10m I think ) via the ; key. Am I missing somthing. I've also tried para depth ( 12m ) too ..... Thanx And 1 more thing, the weather was 6ms +
Old 08-13-22, 11:17 AM   #2
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

I have a lot of SH3 snorkel time in both Type VII's and IX's but know nothing about Toyotagt86's mod. So:

1. Can the Type IXB even be fitted with a snorkel? The VIIB cannot so perhaps there is a disconnect between the snorkel and the model. Without more data, I suspect that this may be your issue. A quick look at Uboats.net indicates that only the VIIC, VIIC/41 and IXC and IXC/40 received snorkel upgrades.

2. Does the Mod use HSie's patch? If so, check the snorkel setup values. If these are set too low, that might be a problem but one should expect an error message in the message window.

3. Does the oxygen in the boat reset? This should happen within five minutes and if it does not, see comment 1 above.

Anyway, good luck. Make sure that you have Map Contacts "ON" for snorkelling otherwise you will never see the planes that will kill you.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-22, 11:37 AM   #3
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default Re

thanx, yes the air replenishes in the boat. I'll kill this career and retry. At some point with a Type IXC. thanx
Old 08-13-22, 08:42 PM   #4
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
A quick look at Uboats.net indicates that only the VIIC, VIIC/41 and IXC and IXC/40 received snorkel upgrades.

The information from U-boat.net is not complete. Some type IXD2's were also fitted with snorkels. U-873 was actually surrendered to the United States with its snorkel intact.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-22, 11:54 PM   #5
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann View Post
The information from U-boat.net is not complete. Some type IXD2's were also fitted with snorkels. U-873 was actually surrendered to the United States with its snorkel intact.
Although I was pretty sure that I have seen pics of a surrendered IXD2 with a snorkel, probably U-873, I did not want to BS Doolar so only provided examples with references.

You know, the whole "show your work" thing

I actually started a IXD2 patrol in SH3, GWX3 (I think) but got sunk by aircraft during the breakout from the North Sea so I knew that they work on the D2 in at least some Mods.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote