SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-24-11, 06:51 PM   #1
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Default RSRDC convoys

Our patrols from Pearl are not going so well, we have only sunk 7 single merchants and have not seen one convoy in three patrols. The crew are expecting the Emperor to award us with some kind of medal, or a boat citation for our efforts. Hell, we're just a novice submariner crew when it comes to SHIV but surely there are some convoys somewhere, isn't there?. We could do with some pointers on where they are before the admiral kicks us out of the navy. Any guidance on this matter will be much appreciated.
Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 08:19 PM   #2
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

What year is it? Convoy routes vary, depending on the year. Early in the war, the Japanese convoys traversed the East and South China Seas. As the war progressed, these lanes were extended to the Yellow, Java, Sulu, Celebes, Bismarck and Philippine Seas.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 08:29 PM   #3
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Starting from Pearl you miss a lot. Better to start from Manila first of war. RSRD is historical, as Werner says they basically invade the Philippines then go south. You'll find several invasion fleets hitting the Philippines first.
Most just go right to Lingayan Gulf and sit outside of it. You'll probably get a patrol star there or to one of the other invasion forces.

Next they hit Borneo and other areas. You'll be transferred to Surabaya at Java after Manila falls, but that's OK. Hang around Java late Feb to early March, just north of Semarang you may run into the large 50 ship Java invasion force.

Study the black and white maps at this link. One is for TF movements, the other invasion forces.
All of these are in RSRD, exact courses and dates. You can see the invasion forces hitting the Philippines, Borneo and Java.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=178515
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 08:49 PM   #4
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default Cocking my ears...

When Armistead talks RSRDC convoy and task force routes, it is time to listen. I think he told lurker where and when to place them.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 09:33 PM   #5
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Actually I thought I attacked about every group in the game, until I figured out the mission editor and realized I missed a few hundred.

Lurker did do an amazing job. I can't imagine the time he has in RSRD, not just in making, but he actually got timing, course, ships down to historical perfection....that's a lot of research.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 05:33 PM   #6
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Actually I thought I attacked about every group in the game, until I figured out the mission editor and realized I missed a few hundred.

Lurker did do an amazing job. I can't imagine the time he has in RSRD, not just in making, but he actually got timing, course, ships down to historical perfection....that's a lot of research.
Yup, I just found the battle of Empress Augusta Bay. Wow! What a shootout. Talk about a bar-room brawl after the lights have been shot out.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote