SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-25-08, 05:03 AM   #1
Stanny
Loader

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Firing along the line of bearing using Active Intercept Station

Hello everybody,

I would like to ask anybody how to solve out such situation.

Let's say,you are travelling at medium depth and speed of about 10 knots.Both towed and sphere arrays show only background noise.You know that there is an enemy sub in vicinity (from mission briefing).

Well,from time to time somebody is pinging you more or less from the same bearing.You mark the strongest signal and assign a new contact.

Now,there's a question.How should I preset Seawolf's MK-48 ADCAP torpedo for firing along the intercepted line of bearing in order to increase chances of hitting the target?Should I set it up for active or passive homing?

I would appreciate very much any solutions offered.

Best regards,
Stan.
Stanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-08, 08:58 AM   #2
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54

Hello Stan, I'm no expert and others might have different opinions, but I would make sure that the active sonar pings you are getting are from the sub. It is very unusual for a sub to use active sonar because it effectively gives your position away and the subs main advantage is stealth. As for the torpedo presets I don't think it really matters whether you opt for active or passive homing. Personally I would chose active.

Nemo

Sir John Slessor GCB, DSO, MC, DL
AOC-in-C Coastal Command RAF
Old 01-25-08, 10:06 AM   #3
Stanny
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo
It is very unusual for a sub to use active sonar because it effectively gives your position away and the subs main advantage is stealth.
Yes,it is strange for me too,but all other sensors show that there are no other contacts from bearings pings are coming from.I mean all sonar arrays show nothing,ESM on PD shows nothing too.You may experience this in mission "Ocean Vulture" when you are transiting to exit point from enemy exercise monitoring area.
Old 01-25-08, 10:31 AM   #4
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54

I don't have that mission, where can I get it and I'll give it a try?

Nemo

Sir John Slessor GCB, DSO, MC, DL
AOC-in-C Coastal Command RAF

Last edited by Captain Nemo; 01-25-08 at 11:12 AM.
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-08, 11:55 AM   #5
Stanny
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Nemo
I don't have that mission, where can I get it and I'll give it a try?
That is a mission in original Seawolf campaign of Sub Command.You are supposed to monitor russian exercises at PD and covertly transit to exit area afterwards.
Old 01-25-08, 12:09 PM   #6
sonar732
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

I don't have that mission either. But, I'd say that more than likely it's a destroyer, sonobuoy, or dipping sonar from a helicopter. It would be suicide for a submarine to be pinging away. Let alone the fact that they are committed to an excercise with their own forces and are trying to evade detection.

What did your narrowband on TA show? Any hint of a 50hz tonal? Bellman has a narrowband guide on subguru.com that will help you adjust your monitor so that you can see these tonals better.
sonar732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-08, 12:35 PM   #7
Stanny
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonar732
What did your narrowband on TA show? Any hint of a 50hz tonal?
Both sphere and towed arrays show only a field of background noises in this mission.However,I must admit I did not scroll through frequences then.And there is another rather interesting fact for me there,SSP is showing thermal layer at 0 feet in this mission no matter where I launch XBT for measuring.

In other missions I can detect enemy submarines rather easily,but this is a really strange one.I must say,that enemy surface ships are also hard to pick up on sonar there,I have to go to PD and raise ESM to locate their bearings and classify them.