SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-08, 06:18 AM   #1
Stanny
Loader

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
SCXIIC target bearings-real and ambiguous

Hello everybody,

I am new to these awesome forums,so it's nice to meet all of you here.

I have started playing Sub Command with SCXIIC package recently and become very interested in this sophisticated nuclear attack submarine simulation.

While playing,I do not use Auto Crew at all,so I am used to do all Sonar work as well as TMA operations on my own.

The biggest troubles occur,when I have to select between real and ambiguous bearings of targets.You see,it's rather difficult for me to see "the moment when bearing line starts to shift",whie watching at those waterfall screens of SSN-21 Seawolf.I have done third training mission numerous times,but still cannot clearly understand what is meant by bearing line shifting after submarine changes it's course.Does that mean,that ambiguous bearing line should start to flex or curve?

I will appreciate some explanation from your part.

Finally,I would like to thank all people who participated in creation of greatest SCXIIC mod.

With best regards,
Stan.
Stanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 07:02 AM   #2
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Hi and wellcome aboard Hope you have a great time here

To your question:

Quote:
still cannot clearly understand what is meant by bearing line shifting after submarine changes it's course.Does that mean,that ambiguous bearing line should start to flex or curve?
Yes, more or less. While you see for each contact two vertical lines while your course is steady, as soon as you change course (Well, when the towed array that goes 1000 yards behind you does) the one who is the ambiugous one will start to drift, making a marked curve until becomes steady at a new point (Matching the moment the towed array is steady in its nw course). The true contact will however remain at the same bearing, although also making a less maked curve. What you have to watch is the bearings at which the contacts where before and after your course change. The tru contact will be at the same bearing, while the ambiguous one will have moved to another bearing. Those bearings you can get at the top of the waterfall, placing your cursor over the contact and seeing at the digital display the bearing it means.

And don't forget that if you have already the target aqquired in another sensor, that is enough to tell you which is the true one: It is the one whose bearings match more or less one of the "mirrored" two of the towed array.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-20-08, 07:22 AM   #3
Stanny
Loader

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thanks for your help,Hitman.

And one more question,I usually have the upper waterfall display set to STA Mode,and the lower can be set either to ITA or LTA modes.Which one of those modes gives a better picture of those contacts?

I am used to switch between them from time to time.
Stanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 03:59 PM   #4
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Oopps sorry for the delay, had forgotten about this thread

The usual thing is to keep the upper in STA and the lower in intermediate/long time, switching those both modes. Anyway, remember that the place to loook for new contacts, specially submarines, is the narrowband screen