SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-22, 05:01 PM   #4621
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Default Gauges Question

have you fellows tested larger than normal HUD gauges?
i was looking through the AddInModzPak_17p3.zip and saw a couple (few) mods for different styles of gauges and wondered if you had built any larger ones while testing and never rolled them out for some reason.

this is not a complaint or a request for more development on your part...merely an interrogative.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 05:19 AM   #4622
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

Downloads: 511
Uploads: 0

Propbeanie, could be something related to my rank and the promotions? I m going to the point: when I start a campaign with S BOATS, OR V BOATS, i start usually from the rank or LT, not LTCMDR, (especially with pig boats and with cachalots), could be that after this patrol as i could got a medal or a promotion (the first attempt to return to port wasn't with 3 ships sunked but with 4, for 23000 tons, the last sinking got lost since I hadn't saved the first time before return to port I had only saves on the coast of Japan previously the last sinking), and since I changed the rank to a lower that is never assigned in the mods, it crashed?
Old 05-20-22, 08:06 AM   #4623
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArditoCorsaro View Post
Propbeanie, could be something related to my rank and the promotions? I m going to the point: when I start a campaign with S BOATS, OR V BOATS, i start usually from the rank or LT, not LTCMDR, (especially with pig boats and with cachalots), could be that after this patrol as i could got a medal or a promotion (the first attempt to return to port wasn't with 3 ships sunked but with 4, for 23000 tons, the last sinking got lost since I hadn't saved the first time before return to port I had only saves on the coast of Japan previously the last sinking), and since I changed the rank to a lower that is never assigned in the mods, it crashed?
jumping in here....
i did a bit of testing with the user rank of LT.
the user-captain playing the US-side will never receive a promotion from LT. it is a design flaw within UBI and SH4.
that user-captain-rank did not cause a problem with awards or boat upgrades, as i received several of each, and, after playing maybe a dozen missions, i never experienced a CTD.

if you are experiencing CTD, it is most likely not caused by your user-captain-rank of LT.
good luck, Herr Kaleun.

LAA enabled
Old 05-20-22, 09:42 AM   #4624
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

Yes i guess there was some flaw related to that. Usually for a more realistic experience in career, i do that (to avoid, sometime at least early in the war to change boat and still with the same crew, or other things ), usually i do two careers, early and late war, or mid war with only one, (no skipper pass at sea the war form the first day to the last, that's unrealistic for me, my personal opinion and the game is fine to give you a desk job after two or three commands usually) start the war with some historical single patrol, two or three in 1941/early 43, than i let some month to pass and in late 43 or early 44 i start a career, whatever, could be a new boat commissioned or an older one directly in Frontline, or start two careers, with a boat, take for example an s boat, after two or three missions when a new command is offered in mid or late 42, i stop, and start a new career later, some week)month or even one year later it depend by what I want to simulate during wartime.

Or i start directly a early or mid war career and when a desk job is offered before the war is ended, i accept it and my war is over. So in the first career usually i remain LT, in the second i start as LTCMDR. It depend by the boat to. Now i will restart with an S boat in San Diego in January 1942, until probably the end of the year, going to the Aleutians later, then a single patrol or two, and a new career late in the war. For that this flaw is not a problem fortunately for me. We will see is this time i could finish it.
Old 05-20-22, 04:00 PM   #4625
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default Encrypted Orders????

i am laughing as i type this....so the USN in FOTRSU is now encrypting orders intended for sub skippers? WTF?

it's July 1, driving a Gato out of Midway.
our boat received a conning tower upgrade when we completed our previous mission. No choice in the matter: click ok and press on.

the mission is ID145 Sink Honshu 6.
it seems to not like the date/time data.

on a related issue, just prior to this surprise, i upgraded our AA guns from twin-20's a single-40's and when i clicked on the mission map to shove off, i got a CTD. since i had not saved with the new equipment, i restarted and reloaded and re-shoved off and that is when i received the gobbley-gook in the orders.

p.s. this must have been a one-time thing because i returned to the previous mission's RTB save, retraced my steps while in port, and the mission orders look normal.
well, i got a good laugh out of it.

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 05-20-22 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-20-22, 04:04 PM   #4626
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
EDIT: I once again uninstalled SH4, deleted FOTRS, deleted the Documents Save folder, deleted all the downloaded FOTRS and ModPak files, rebooted, and then downloaded everything again, along with Nihon Kaigun and Nippon Maru. I created a new FOTRS folder, activated v1.7p3, mods 301, 302, 303, 399c2, 450, 525, and 803 followed by NK, NM, and the roster. Once I had changed the sound, graphics, and gameplay settings, I created a new career and started a Balao mission from Midway in 10/44 with similar results: one new screen loaded, then went black, then CTDed without any error messages. Any ideas?
The issue lies with FOTRSU itself. I deleted the FOTRSU directory and the SH4 save file, then recreated it using only v1.7p3 without any other mods. I was able to start stock SH4 with no issues but launching a career in v1.7p3 caused the black screen CTD again. The laptop is otherwise functioning normally and there's nothing left I can do. I'll look up the laptop details and add them to this post later, but they're unchanged from the v1.46 era.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 05-20-22 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Win10 Pro, 64-bit, 16GB RAM
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 04:09 PM   #4627
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

The same mission that stopped my cachalot campaign in spring 1942 with the ctd upon returning in port, not reversible, i tried in many ways...probably there's some problem with this mission. Maybe. Who know.
Old 05-21-22, 10:18 AM   #4628
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i am laughing as i type this....so the USN in FOTRSU is now encrypting orders intended for sub skippers? WTF?

it's July 1, driving a Gato out of Midway.
our boat received a conning tower upgrade when we completed our previous mission. No choice in the matter: click ok and press on.

the mission is ID145 Sink Honshu 6.
it seems to not like the date/time data.

on a related issue, just prior to this surprise, i upgraded our AA guns from twin-20's a single-40's and when i clicked on the mission map to shove off, i got a CTD. since i had not saved with the new equipment, i restarted and reloaded and re-shoved off and that is when i received the gobbley-gook in the orders.

p.s. this must have been a one-time thing because i returned to the previous mission's RTB save, retraced my steps while in port, and the mission orders look normal.
well, i got a good laugh out of it.
Quote:
The same mission that stopped my cachalot campaign in spring 1942 with the ctd upon returning in port, not reversible, i tried in many ways...probably there's some problem with this mission. Maybe. Who know.
The same mission is just a coincidence. All of the "Sink Honshu" missions in FotRSU are the same as they were in TMO v1.7 or Stock. There are some additional missions, some from copy, paste and re-name, others from new build with other objectives in them, but all of the Sink Honshu missions are basically the same as they were in the Stock game. What KaleunMarco has in the messaging is the orders that are generated upon return to base, using the Save data and the new assignment. Why the gobble-dee-gook for the date is beyond me, but my guess is the game overwrote its own data somewhere and got confused. As to the why remains to be discovered... Whether it was the upgraded conning tower? Adding new AA guns? Dunno. We've been attempting to do further "upgrade" testing here for the future, but I'll add back in the conning towers. It surprises me it gave him a new conning tower, and not a new Balao, which would be too early for that, of course, but the game does ignore those dates usually...

Quote:
The issue lies with FOTRSU itself. I deleted the FOTRSU directory and the SH4 save file, then recreated it using only v1.7p3 without any other mods. I was able to start stock SH4 with no issues but launching a career in v1.7p3 caused the black screen CTD again. The laptop is otherwise functioning normally and there's nothing left I can do. I'll look up the laptop details and add them to this post later, but they're unchanged from the v1.46 era.

Any suggestions?
If the stock game works, and FotRSU does not, then suspect the set-up of your FotRSU. Number one of course, is to NOT be in a Windows Program Files folder with the game. Number two is be certain you are using v1.5 of the game with U-Boat missions. Number three is to be certain to empty the Save folder after activating FotRSU and prior to trying to run the modded game. Do not attempt to use old saves. Number four is be certain that the LAA app of your choice is properly activated on the SH4.exe file. Right-click on the SH4.exe file, and choose "Properties". On the first General tab, make certain that the "Read-only" Attribute is clear, so that an LAA can be properly set. Number five, on the newer computers and Windows OS, you also have to set the compatibility of the SH4.exe. Right-click the SH4.exe file and choose "Properties", click on the "Compatibility" tab. At a minimum, disable the OS doing any High DPI Scaling (OS dependent). System dependent, you might also have to "Run as administrator", or set the OS compatibility. Refer to

for an example on my Win10 install. Each computer / OS / game / computer settings will possibly be quite different. You'll probably have to experiment with the settings.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-22, 11:47 AM   #4629
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
What KaleunMarco has in the messaging is the orders that are generated upon return to base, using the Save data and the new assignment. Why the gobble-dee-gook for the date is beyond me, but my guess is the game overwrote its own data somewhere and got confused. As to the why remains to be discovered... Whether it was the upgraded conning tower? Adding new AA guns? Dunno. We've been attempting to do further "upgrade" testing here for the future, but I'll add back in the conning towers. It surprises me it gave him a new conning tower, and not a new Balao, which would be too early for that, of course, but the game does ignore those dates usually...
i was offered an upgrade from the Gato to what i assumed to be a Balao very early in 1943. having experienced that issue previously, i declined the opportunity.
a couple of missions later, the conning tower upgrade was applied. i suspect that in another mission or two, the upgrade will be offered again. by then the time frame will be September-October 43. i will probably stick with the Gato until the end.
++
as far as root cause is concerned, i agree with you that it is almost impossible to figure out why the gobbly-gook date occurred and it was probably a core overwrite within SH4 by the ace-designers of Ubi.

LAA enabled
Old 05-21-22, 05:10 PM   #4630
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Quote:
If the stock game works, and FotRSU does not, then suspect the set-up of your FotRSU. Number one of course, is to NOT be in a Windows Program Files folder with the game. Number two is be certain you are using v1.5 of the game with U-Boat missions. Number three is to be certain to empty the Save folder after activating FotRSU and prior to trying to run the modded game. Do not attempt to use old saves. Number four is be certain that the LAA app of your choice is properly activated on the SH4.exe file. Right-click on the SH4.exe file, and choose "Properties". On the first General tab, make certain that the "Read-only" Attribute is clear, so that an LAA can be properly set. Number five, on the newer computers and Windows OS, you also have to set the compatibility of the SH4.exe. Right-click the SH4.exe file and choose "Properties", click on the "Compatibility" tab. At a minimum, disable the OS doing any High DPI Scaling (OS dependent). System dependent, you might also have to "Run as administrator", or set the OS compatibility.
for an example on my Win10 install. Each computer / OS / game / computer settings will possibly be quite different. You'll probably have to experiment with the settings.
That did the trick, thanks; much appreciated!

CTD report: USS Caiman, out of Midway, night time 10/21/44, just W of the Sibuyan Sea in the Tablas Strait, radar depth. TF detected approaching from the E on the edge of the Sibuyan. Radar returns showed only one target, a tugboat silhouette. Presumably the appearance of the second TF member, whatever it was, triggered the CTD.

V1.7p3, 301, 302, 303, 399c1, 450, 525, 803, NK, NM, Roster.
Old 05-22-22, 09:22 AM   #4631
propbeanie

You are several days too early there Mios 4Me for the Battle off Samar ships to be coming through. They don't sail until the 22nd, do a loop-de-loop in the area, and are returning on the 26th. In fact, there are no groups with lines to go through there other than patrols, which could be Japanes barges or PT boats. They would all have the smaller "outline" you describe, as would a corvette or similar sized vessel. What makes you think it was a Task Force? The sonar report of a warship approaching?. I'll double-check the mod's patrol vessels, but we've never seen any trouble from them before... Thanks

Old 05-22-22, 10:00 AM   #4632
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Quote:
You are several days too early there Mios 4Me for the Battle off Samar ships to be coming through. They don't sail until the 22nd, do a loop-de-loop in the area, and are returning on the 26th. In fact, there are no groups with lines to go through there other than patrols, which could be Japanes barges or PT boats. They would all have the smaller "outline" you describe, as would a corvette or similar sized vessel. What makes you think it was a Task Force?
It was described as a TF on the map. The other similar contacts were all single vessels. We didn't find any traffic escaping ahead of the invasion, just tons of search planes, so I deleted that patrol and ran another arriving on station much closer to Kurita's passage. That one wound up in heavy weather, but CTD'd as we launched the first torpedo at a Yamato, having sunk a Takao minutes before.
Old 05-23-22, 10:21 AM   #4633
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

Could be the options in the properties of the exe file that corrupted my save? (Read only was crossed But the sh4 4gb patch did work fine, now i disabled it read only) or the dpi values not disables? I restarted from San Diego with an s boat in January 1942, let's see how will go this time.
Old 05-23-22, 10:42 AM   #4634
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Could be the options in the properties of the exe file that corrupted my save? (Read only was crossed But the sh4 4gb patch did work fine, now i disabled it read only) or the dpi values not disables? I restarted from San Diego with an s boat in January 1942, let's see how will go this time.
Never I could apply 4Gb patch on a read only SH4.exe. Ever I had to disable "read only" and then applied the patch. Also you can use LAA. I don't know how you could play with SH4.exe read only enabled and with 4gb patch applied. Maybe reinstalling all a new and disabling first of all the SH4.exe read only, then applying 4gb patch, things work better.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 11:47 AM   #4635
propbeanie

Quote:
It was described as a TF on the map. The other similar contacts were all single vessels. We didn't find any traffic escaping ahead of the invasion, just tons of search planes, so I deleted that patrol and ran another arriving on station much closer to Kurita's passage. That one wound up in heavy weather, but CTD'd as we launched the first torpedo at a Yamato, having sunk a Takao minutes before.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Never I could apply 4Gb patch on a read only SH4.exe. Ever I had to disable "read only" and then applied the patch. Also you can use LAA. I don't know how you could play with SH4.exe read only enabled and with 4gb patch applied. Maybe reinstalling all a new and disabling first of all the SH4.exe read only, then applying 4gb patch, things work better.

Fitzcarraldo
What Fitzcarraldo says is what you will oftentimes see with the game after an install. You HAVE to make certain that the SH4.exe and the FileManager.dll files in the SH4 folder are NOT "Read-only", else LAA nor MultiSH4 will take. MultiSH4 does throw an error, as does the 4GigPatch, if you use it instead of LAA. If using LAA, it does not throw an error, and you have to re-open it and select the SH4.exe file to see if it is now set to "True". I just ran a scenario with Kurita's Center Force in the Sibuyan Sea on Octorber 24, 1944. I started at 10am local time, and encountered a PB4Y-1 on patrol, which apparently overflew Kurita's force, because long about noon, 2 groups of US carrier planes flew overhead headed southwest. A little while later, I got a sonar contact bearing 273 and headed for it. It was the Center Force. so I went below the thermal and approached.

Under normal circumstances I would not attempt to attack this group. The main reason here being the fact that the seas were dead-calm flat. Second being it is such a huge group at this point, with twice the DD screen it needs for its own protection. But, this is an experiment. I did record it for posterior's sake, for what that's worth, since I am not going to bother with it... when I said "dead-calm" sea, it literally was.. First of all, this is a Core2Duo E8600 quad-core with 8 gig of ram and a GTX 560Ti vid card. Not the latest greatest, but generally more than enough for a game of SH4. With MSI AfterBurner running for screen capture, I was getting 20-24fps on the display as the group approached and passed overhead. Definitely a bit slow, but acceptable. If I turn the recording off, it goes back up to 30fps, which is what I have the card set to for FotRSU.

In the meantime, I was detected (surprise surprise) by the screen, taking minimal damage on their first pass (lost my sonar). A second DD came near, and took out three of the four after tubes, and damaged the bulkhead further. "We have flooding sir!". Naturally, a 3rd approach by a 3rd DD set off a flurry of damage reports, no engines, no motors, no torpedo tubes, no periscopes "MEDIC!!!" "We have heavy flooding sir!" etc. Too much for the damage team to keep up with. In spite of blowing ballast several times, we just kept sinking from 230 and on down passed 600 and more before the screen went black. Going by the sounds of things up above with all the sirens etc., there was probably another air attack occurring as we sank. Even if they hadn't sunk us on the 3rd pass, there were two more DD headed in the opposite direction of the TaFee, going down between columns to give us more depth-charge whoop...

Anyway, if you do NOT have LAA or the 4Gig Patch set correctly, or sufficient machine for some of these scenarios, your computer will crash. The game will attempt to keep running at 6fps, but not much less. To see what you are actually getting out of the game, press and hold the <Ctrl> key, and press the <F8> key, then let them both go. You should then have a numberic display of your fps in the top border of the game window.