SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-06-22, 09:41 AM   #4441
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpex77 View Post
Hi, Is it possible to simply remove the 1.46 FOTRS version from JSGME, and install 1.7p3 without reinstalling SH4?

I dont expect my current career to carry over to the new version or can I?

Thanks!

Frank
As for going from v1.46 to v1.7p3 of FOTRS... yeah, it's possible to do so.

Simply deactive everything for it, then clear out the 'MODS' folder, then drop in what's needed to set up for v1.7p3... or simply set up a separate SH4 set up, provided that you have a unmodded virgin copy of SH4 to work with.

As for your career, from v1.46....

" " Version 1.7p3 of Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate :

Note: This mod is NOT compatible with previous versions of itself. " "

So... Say goodbye to that career saves... Meaning, it's toast.

Now, there is a couple of .cfg files you can keep... But, those are for settings such as graphics, gameplay settings, & main settings... which have no connections to the previous mod version incarnation...

Note : am not at My pc, to list which files out of the save folder to keep, exactly. Sorry... But, know it's at baseline minimum of 2... or 3, that can be kept all the rest... Dump.

propbeanie, s7rikeback, KaleunMarko... can expand on that info...

Hope this info, is helpful...

M.M.
Old 03-06-22, 06:05 PM   #4442
Torpex77
Helmsman

Downloads: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post

Simply deactive everything for it, then clear out the 'MODS' folder, then drop in what's needed to set up for v1.7p3... or simply set up a separate SH4 set up, provided that you have a unmodded virgin copy of SH4 to work with.

Now, there is a couple of .cfg files you can keep... But, those are for settings such as graphics, gameplay settings, & main settings... which have no connections to the previous mod version incarnation...

Note : am not at My pc, to list which files out of the save folder to keep, exactly. Sorry... But, know it's at baseline minimum of 2... or 3, that can be kept all the rest... Dump.

M.M.
Thanks for your Time. I looked after posting that save games were toast..lol
Frank
Old 03-07-22, 12:44 PM   #4443
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Thanks for your Time. I looked after posting that save games were toast..lol
Frank

M. M.
Old 03-07-22, 06:47 PM   #4444
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post

M.M.
Quote:
Hi, Is it possible to simply remove the 1.46 FOTRS version from JSGME, and install 1.7p3 without reinstalling SH4?

I dont expect my current career to carry over to the new version or can I?

Thanks!

Frank
Frank,
i would treat any new release of any mega-mod as if it is a brand new mega-mod. others have posted a list previously but i will repeat it here. you can use the previous release SH4 installation if:
  1. you back out all mods for the installation using JSGME
  2. check the JSGME backup folder and ensure that it is empty of files.
  3. remove the older release mods from the JSGME Mods folder. if you want to keep them for historical purposes, i suggest that you zip them and then delete them, keeping the zip.
  4. delete the entire Save Folder for the installation in your Documents folder. Yes, delete everything from the three-letter-name on-down.
  5. recreate your Save folder using MultiSH4
  6. copy your new release mods into the JSGME Mods folder and proceed from there.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-22, 09:17 AM   #4445
Torpex77
Helmsman

Downloads: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Frank,
i would treat any new release of any mega-mod as if it is a brand new mega-mod. others have posted a list previously but i will repeat it here. you can use the previous release SH4 installation if:
  1. you back out all mods for the installation using JSGME
  2. check the JSGME backup folder and ensure that it is empty of files.
  3. remove the older release mods from the JSGME Mods folder. if you want to keep them for historical purposes, i suggest that you zip them and then delete them, keeping the zip.
  4. delete the entire Save Folder for the installation in your Documents folder. Yes, delete everything from the three-letter-name on-down.
  5. recreate your Save folder using MultiSH4
  6. copy your new release mods into the JSGME Mods folder and proceed from there.

I will do as suggested!! Thank You again! **UPDATE** All is well, running Hot Straight and Normal. ))
Frank

Last edited by Torpex77; 03-10-22 at 11:55 AM.
Torpex77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-22, 10:07 AM   #4446
!!HansGruber!!
Watch

Downloads: 37

Any tips on how to use contact report correctly in FOTRSU? If I need to be in visual range on the surface it seems quite likely I will be spotted.
!!HansGruber!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-22, 10:29 AM   #4447
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That is part of the rub, ain't it? Not being seen, while seeing them good enough to report... You also have to have a report from your crew of "Ship spotted!" three times, for three separate ships, and have targeted and locked at least one, for the report to go through. You can check the NavMap and verify how many icons you have for "ship spotted", unless you have map contacts turned off. To do the report in as "safe" of a manner as is possible, you should determine their course first, so that you can attempt to parallel theirs, to an extent. You do not want to show a broadside to them, since it makes it much easier for them to spot you. Periscope up though, max zoom, and "lock" on a ship while attempt to bird-dog them, but not to get too close - just enough. I will sometimes open the Captain's clipboard while attempting to do this, and as soon as you see the "broken ship" icon mend together, you are able to send a Contact Report. Then back off and await the reply, if you care to. This can also be done while submerged, but you generally have to be at Radar Depth for that, so that you are able to Xmit.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-22, 03:12 PM   #4448
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1755
Default Weather

What files did the team adjust to make the weather changes happen at such a good rate. I like the frequency of the changes. I would like to try it with KSD II.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-22, 03:29 PM   #4449
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15 Re: Reusing a SH4 copy, when doing an upgrade from 1 older verion to a newer one...

Forgive the length, but... wanted to try & make this as clear & concise, as is humanly... possible. Soooo... without further ado...

Ahoy, torpex77... & any others who may wish to do this...

Per My post reply to your query on the FotRS-U thread (#4441, I believe... ), on reactivating from a SH4 copy from 1 version of FotRS to a newer update...

On the info I gave, outlining the ability to reuse a copy that was previously used for an older version, I mentioned of in the saves folder, of deleting files in it all but 2 or 3.

Have returned to where I was able to go into 1 of several save folders that I have set up for the multitude of SH4 mod versions I have.

Can definitively state, that there is 3 .cfg files that can be kept.

Have highlighted those ones to keep whilst, deleting the rest & will outline the whole process, so you have a blueprint to work with, should you find the need... arise to do thusly, again in the near or far... future.

1st off, is of course, knowing the exact save folder you want to do this in... that is, of paramount importance... can't stress that enough.

Once that folder is known, is a simple matter of going into it & deleting from it, all the files in each of the folders, as shown in the attached pic to follow. Keeping only the 3 that are... highlighted, as seen in that pic :

As you can see, those are the ones, you'll want to keep.

They do NOT have anything to do with modifications to the SH4 copy, that will be overwritten by the activation of the mods needed to update to the version of FotRS you'll want to go to... (or any other mod set, for that matter, as this can be done with any mega mod set, pertaining to SH4 that you'll want to roll with, either... )

These files, are directly related to control of the screen rez, the TC & the in game graphics, that were they deleted, you would have to then redo. This step, as outlined, saves you... from having to go through doing all that... again.

All files, otherwise, can be deleted... safely & efficiently, even those inside the folders... thereby leaving the folders, as well... that wiping out the entire save folder, would then also would have to be reset back up with running the whole SH4 set up.

Therefore... doing all this, this way, saves a bit of time... not much, granted but... it is useful... at least from My perspective, at any rate.

I hope that this outline & it's execution explanation, is found to be of use, as always... I hope, that you find it useful.

Fair winds, smooth seas &... Good huntin', skipper.!

M. M.
Old 03-13-22, 11:28 AM   #4450
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
What files did the team adjust to make the weather changes happen at such a good rate. I like the frequency of the changes. I would like to try it with KSD II.
It can still get stuck in the "interminable" weather pattern, but doesn't seem to do that as often. CapnScurvy was the one who edited the environment last, but I'm not certain as to what all he adjusted. Perhaps he would see a PM, if his InBox isn't full?? But probably the biggest contributor to the game running as well as it does now, including cleaner Saved games, is the reduction of the ID conflicts, of which s7rikeback has been a bulldog on rooting those out. He hasn't attempted to eliminate the player sub conflicts, since there is only one of those at a time on a computer, even if doing Multi-Player, but he has removed a goodly portion of others. We'll have to see if he gets time to come by and comment. The game running better (more efficiently) seems to contribute to the weather "timing" being better. If you Save and exit the game, and come back later to play, you can still run into the "clock" for the weather re-setting and getting seemingly "stuck", just like the repair times starting over will do...

Old 03-13-22, 11:45 AM   #4451
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It can still get stuck in the "interminable" weather pattern, but doesn't seem to do that as often. CapnScurvy was the one who edited the environment last, but I'm not certain as to what all he adjusted. Perhaps he would see a PM, if his InBox isn't full?? But probably the biggest contributor to the game running as well as it does now, including cleaner Saved games, is the reduction of the ID conflicts, of which s7rikeback has been a bulldog on rooting those out. He hasn't attempted to eliminate the player sub conflicts, since there is only one of those at a time on a computer, even if doing Multi-Player, but he has removed a goodly portion of others. We'll have to see if he gets time to come by and comment. The game running better (more efficiently) seems to contribute to the weather "timing" being better. If you Save and exit the game, and come back later to play, you can still run into the "clock" for the weather re-setting and getting seemingly "stuck", just like the repair times starting over will do...

I stabilized the weather in TMO by editing all the patrol objective and campaign files under mission parameters. I set weather change interval to 96 hours 1 knot default wind.

I still get weather changes(which is fine) but not the insane weather intervals as when it was set to 5 hours lol. Have had no issues with weather getting stuck for absurd amounts of time.Also found that having it set default to 1 instead of zero makes a difference as well. Worked out quite well. Of course using time compression at lower levels helps as well.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-22, 01:08 PM   #4452
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1755

Thanks guys for the replies
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-22, 03:56 PM   #4453
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Is FotRSU Base patch needed for v1.7p3

I just DL'd v1.7p3, installed as usual as I did with v1.7.
With just the v1.7p3 mod installed, created a new Save folder, 7p3, made sure LAA is applied for my 64bit WIn 10 rig that has successfully run v1.7, I started a new Fleet Boat career. I started from Midway, Fall 1943 with a Balao. I pushed off heading to the Carolinas, and as usual I take my first Save as I leave, and another save after clearing the two circle around Midway. All's good until I decide to Load one of those Saves. When the Navigation map appears, my plotted course to the Carolinas no longer appears! So I clear out my save, start over but this time select a Gato from Midway, and plot that course. All's well push off and do the same, make two separate Saves, then reload from one of those Saves, and CTD to desktop! I've DL'd FotRUS1.7p3 again, applied the mod to a fresh copy of SH4, started the same two careers and get the same results. Do I need that FotRSU Base patch ? Is there another version of v1.7p3 than the one I took from the beginning of this thread? AM I just unluckey? I know I'm abit old but accept that doing the same thing over more than once will still get the same result!
So I need a life saver or something please.
Old 03-17-22, 08:37 AM   #4454
propbeanie

The patch does the APR-1 RWR 'fix', properly activating it on certain boats, and does nothing "operationally". When doing Saves such as you describe, are you exiting the game after the Save, and then re-starting it before trying to load the Save? You do have to exit the game if doing such. Let us know, please! If you are, then be sure you are pausing a bit after Saving to allow the game to finish its write to the hard drive, which is even more important if you have any write-caching activated in Windows, even if you are using an SSD. As usual, double-check your LAA or 4Gig Patch activation.

Old 03-17-22, 11:47 AM   #4455
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The patch does the APR-1 RWR 'fix', properly activating it on certain boats, and does nothing "operationally". When doing Saves such as you describe, are you exiting the game after the Save, and then re-starting it before trying to load the Save? You do have to exit the game if doing such. Let us know, please! If you are, then be sure you are pausing a bit after Saving to allow the game to finish its write to the hard drive, which is even more important if you have any write-caching activated in Windows, even if you are using an SSD. As usual, double-check your LAA or 4Gig Patch activation.
"When doing Saves such as you describe, are you exiting the game after the Save, and then re-starting it before trying to load the Save?" No
I usually proceed on the charted course for a while, many minutes, then "Esc", and Return to Main, select Load and choose one of the previous Saves.
Today, I start the game, and choose the last of the two Saves, it loads ok, showing the remaining charted course. So exiting the game does allow reloading a Save correctly, but, I've never had to do it that way with v1.7 or any other previous version before!

Is there something I should check with Win10 regarding this? And yes, my game is loaded on the SSD.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by jldjs; 03-31-22 at 12:03 PM. Reason: I’m editing this post because the cause of the problem I encountered was a bad MOD.