SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-21, 10:23 AM   #2761
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Probably been reported already, but attempting transfer to Milne Bay location does not work. I tried it in March 1944, but started my patrol outside Brisbane.

Have Balao, plain FotRS:UE 1.39, no other mods, LAA-aware enabled, etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-21, 10:48 AM   #2762
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Probably been reported already, but attempting transfer to Milne Bay location does not work. I tried it in March 1944, but started my patrol outside Brisbane.

Have Balao, plain FotRS:UE 1.39, no other mods, LAA-aware enabled, etc.

Hope this helps.
Milne Bay is broken until the next release. we know what is wrong and it will be fixed.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 07:20 AM   #2763
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: Question... part deux...

after My last query, on getting awarded a Gato class boat... then being foisted off to being based at Pearl, rather than being still home ported at Freemantle, which prior to getting the Gato, I was in a Tambor class boat.

That aside, just finished off My 7th patrol, &... applied for a Trans, which with the time it is, options were either Midway... or Brisbane.. with Midway being nearly on top of Pearl.. I decided to put in for Brisbane... so, am back in closer to the action. Yeah, Me...

OK, that said.. do have some info to impart, concerning a ship I came across while in transit back to Pearl, before I put in for that trans...

Got radar report of a contact.. got the base course, laid in an intercept course, & waited for the ships to come into range for My attack.

When the ships did so, I ID'ed them, as being 1 Kasagisan Maru + 1 Taihosan Maru...

I set up for 2 fish to each target, 1 below their draft, the other to side impact at 1/3 their draft.

When the time was right, I let slip the dogs.. erhm, torps of war...

Both went off, as they should, ships were destroyed & sent on their way to the bottom... that is, as was shown on the map, & the ships both launching a red flare... the Kasagisan Maru, went to the bottom... the Taisohan Maru, however... stayed afloat, a burning wreck... shown on the map as being sunk.. YET... refusing to do so, as it should.... it kept on being afloat. It NEVER sank below the waves.. & the good news despite that... I still got credit for it.

In addition to that, ran across a Jyunsen Type 1, sank that... but.. like the Taisohan maru.. it didn't slip beneath the waves headed for the bottom... completely. However, unlike the Taisohan Maru, the aft 1/2 did slip beneath the waves, the bow bobbed about like a cork... & the sub was still in 1 piece, with 2 torp blown holes in it... 1 forward of the conning tower, the other aft, right ahead of the props. Like the Taisohan Maru, I did get credit for its destruction as well.

See attached snap shot...

End report...

M. M.

Old 02-19-21, 09:16 AM   #2764
ETAIPOS
Swabbie

Downloads: 17

I found two small questionable situations

In my first patrol in (USS Salmon, Manila) I was sent first for useless 10 day patrolling off south coast of Hainan, finishing that, I was called to Lingayen where I arrived in 22/23 December night. I slipped past patrols in the mouth of the gulf and found landing force there. Reported to COMSUBPAC and I was ordered to sink large troop transports. The problem? There was not a single one. The landing force was composed of small passenger carriers, medium and large freighters. I sank 2 passenger, one medium and 2 large freighters but objective was not fulfilled.

It seems a bug as mission do not correspond to actual landing TF composition.

On a side note, after finishing the patrol in the mouth of Lingayen Gulf (including short shadowing of TF with 2x Kongo, 2-3xCA and large oiler), I was not given other orders so I decided to investigate Borneo on the way to Surabaya. While on the way (about 40 miles North from Palawan) I spotted and sunk small TF - HSK Michel and 6,5k ton Japanese freighter.

Why is Michel classified as Widder class? The model is clearly Michel, not Widder.

Last edited by ETAIPOS; 02-19-21 at 09:29 AM.
ETAIPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 10:25 AM   #2765
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Next Release Date?

Having finally completed a career in v1.39+Nippon Maru I am reluctant to start another if the next release is "imminent" . Is there a projected release date or should I just go for it and be prepared to start over when the new version is released?

Patience is a virtue to some. Think I'll try it.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 01:37 PM   #2766
Sirin
Swabbie

Downloads: 157

Quote:
No, I only have one sh4.exe, presumably v1.5 since I now have the U-boat Missions installed.

Yes there are two shortcuts (one for regular SH4, one for the U-boat edition), but from what I can tell they do exactly the same thing.

FotRS does run now and I can go on patrol, but I'm having another very random bug. Torpedoes won't fire. At all.

Can't find any discussion of anyone else having this problem, so far. Nothing in the documentation. Strange.
I'm having exactly the same problem. The menu works, but when I load a game (even the training missions) it immediately either freezes or crashes after the 'No Mission Too Difficult' screen. If it freezes and I return to desktop, a notification appears saying 'unknown error' and then another saying 'Data/Shaders/VolumetricFog/VolumetricFogPS.fx'.

How did you fix this problem?
Sirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 03:19 PM   #2767
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Probably been reported already, but attempting transfer to Milne Bay location does not work. I tried it in March 1944, but started my patrol outside Brisbane...
Definitely "broke" as KaleunMarco says, and it is fixed for the next release. The main problem is the spelling of "Milne Bay" versus "MilneBay" between the various "calls" for the Advance Base, plus the fact that it, being a "copy" of Brisbane, it still had the Brisbane spawn-in locations. That is an interim copy of the Flotillas file that found its way into the "final" release of v1.39 instead of a "finished" copy of the file. The next release has updated locations, and now issues have been found with Majuro location also, and I'm sure more are yet to be found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
... When the time was right, I let slip the dogs.. erhm, torps of war...

Both went off, as they should, ships were destroyed & sent on their way to the bottom... that is, as was shown on the map, & the ships both launching a red flare... the Kasagisan Maru, went to the bottom... the Taisohan Maru, however... stayed afloat, a burning wreck... shown on the map as being sunk.. YET... refusing to do so, as it should.... it kept on being afloat. It NEVER sank below the waves.. & the good news despite that... I still got credit for it.

In addition to that, ran across a Jyunsen Type 1, sank that... but.. like the Taisohan maru.. it didn't slip beneath the waves headed for the bottom... completely. However, unlike the Taisohan Maru, the aft 1/2 did slip beneath the waves, the bow bobbed about like a cork... & the sub was still in 1 piece, with 2 torp blown holes in it...
That's what your deck gun is for mister! Actually, that is part of the problem with both the flare going up, and the "sunk" icon appearing. Look how many reports there were from US skippers of "ship sunk", and they hadn't actually, but rather were able to limp somewhere, or ground themselves, to be repaired later. I have had similar, and one hit from the deck gun would probably put the JyunsenB down, while it might take a few to get the ship beneath the waves. Just remember, there are some fanatic gunsmen on some of those ships, that keep their stations until underwater...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAIPOS View Post
I found two small questionable situations

In my first patrol in (USS Salmon, Manila) I was sent first for useless 10 day patrolling off south coast of Hainan, finishing that, I was called to Lingayen where I arrived in 22/23 December night. I slipped past patrols in the mouth of the gulf and found landing force there. Reported to COMSUBPAC and I was ordered to sink large troop transports. The problem? There was not a single one. The landing force was composed of small passenger carriers, medium and large freighters. I sank 2 passenger, one medium and 2 large freighters but objective was not fulfilled.

It seems a bug as mission do not correspond to actual landing TF composition.

On a side note, after finishing the patrol in the mouth of Lingayen Gulf (including short shadowing of TF with 2x Kongo, 2-3xCA and large oiler), I was not given other orders so I decided to investigate Borneo on the way to Surabaya. While on the way (about 40 miles North from Palawan) I spotted and sunk small TF - HSK Michel and 6,5k ton Japanese freighter.

Why is Michel classified as Widder class? The model is clearly Michel, not Widder.
As for the Widder versus Michel, I am glad you can say "clearly Michel". We have a "German_Auxilary_Cruisers.pdf" file in the Support / Extra_Info / Research folder, and there are no pictures of either vessel. A search on the internet does not find pictures. Do you know of an accurate source? Besides the "accurate" as in which date of their existence, that is a "Class" designation, not a specific ship designation. But if you have info, we might be able to accomplish something. Then, as for the "useless 10 day patrolling", those were your orders mister, and there is no such thing as "useless" in the US Department of the Navy. Always remember that... - The dispensation of the US submarines the first couple of years of the war was not very efficient. Most of the boats were put off major locations, near harbor patrols and airplane ASW, and quite a few were wasted with 10 days of useless patrol in Tablas Strait and the Verde Island passage - four boats, in fact. Of course, the US wasn't certain as to where the Japanese were going to come from... so, is it really "useless"? As for the Contact Report bug, the game uses a rather limited "algorithm" to determine responses to Contact Reports. As such, you "targeted" a transport, which is UnitType=103 Troop Transport. There is no big, medium or small designation in that Class designation. When you got the response, "Sink the Large Transports", it actually hides a "tonnage" requirement in the Contact Report 12.mis file, of a total of 3600 tons of Troop Transports. The "Small Transports" are only about 1800 ton each, so you would need three of them for a "completed objective". The contact report objectives are not worth that much anyway. We reduced the amount they give, because there are issues with the "logic" in the game with them... I'll change that "large" designation though, to just "Sink all of the Troop Transports you can! ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!" or some such. Thanks for mentioning that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Having finally completed a career in v1.39+Nippon Maru I am reluctant to start another if the next release is "imminent" . Is there a projected release date or should I just go for it and be prepared to start over when the new version is released?

Patience is a virtue to some. Think I'll try it.

It ~was~ imminent... the key word being "was"... I keep finding issues. All other "problems" have been resolved (save what ETAIPOS just reported), near as we can tell, but the Flotillas file is putting up a stubborn fight, like MM's ships staying above the waves. Just downright stubborn, it is... I was guessing with s7rikeback that maybe two weeks?? maybe. I'd do another career with v1.39, but don't do any transferring to the Advance Bases...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirin View Post
Quote:
No, I only have one sh4.exe, presumably v1.5 since I now have the U-boat Missions installed.

Yes there are two shortcuts (one for regular SH4, one for the U-boat edition), but from what I can tell they do exactly the same thing.

FotRS does run now and I can go on patrol, but I'm having another very random bug. Torpedoes won't fire. At all.

Can't find any discussion of anyone else having this problem, so far. Nothing in the documentation. Strange.
I'm having exactly the same problem. The menu works, but when I load a game (even the training missions) it immediately either freezes or crashes after the 'No Mission Too Difficult' screen. If it freezes and I return to desktop, a notification appears saying 'unknown error' and then another saying 'Data/Shaders/VolumetricFog/VolumetricFogPS.fx'.

How did you fix this problem?
As for the torpedo shooting, and other issues of that ilk:
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
In the game's root folder (whatever you installed into) are the pictures of the old reference cards, updated for FotRSU by CapnScurvy. Look for "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg". On the "Back" page, it says to press and hold the <Alt> key and then press the <Enter> key to fire the torpedo. This prevents inadvertent firing of same... - not that I've ever done that, of course... - Use the <W> key to cycle through the fore tubes, and the <E> key to cycle through the aft tubes. Use the <Q> key to open the tubes, prior to firing, else any firing solution is ruined. It is imperative that any skipper familiarize themselves with the proper function of their submarine, especially Crash Dive (<Ctrl><D>), Ahead Flank (number <5> key) and Hard to Port or Starboard (the "bracket" keys <[> and <]>. Evasive maneuvers, in other words... - The use of the greater than and less than signify a "key" to press... (ie: < space >)
The way you are describing the crash, first of all, make certain that you are using the "Uboat Missions AddOn" start of Steam. Be certain the "Save" folder was emptied before first starting FotRSU, and make certain that the LAA (or other Large Address Aware program of your choice) is properly activated on the SH4.exe file. This might entail having to remove the "Read-only" designation of the SH4.exe file's Windows attributes.

Always open the torpedo tubes - with the "Q" key, switch forward tubes with the "W" key, and the aft tubes with the "E" key - before you shoot. Shoot with an <Ctrl><Enter> key combination.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 04:00 PM   #2768
Sirin
Swabbie

Downloads: 157

Quote:
:The way you are describing the crash, first of all, make certain that you are using the "Uboat Missions AddOn" start of Steam. Be certain the "Save" folder was emptied before first starting FotRSU, and make certain that the LAA (or other Large Address Aware program of your choice) is properly activated on the SH4.exe file. This might entail having to remove the "Read-only" designation of the SH4.exe file's Windows attributes.:
I was pretty sure I did all that, but I'll try reinstalling and have another go.

Really hope I can get it to work, I want to check out this mod! Any important differences I should know about vs. TMO (if I can get it to work)?
Sirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 04:12 PM   #2769
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Oh, why, FotRSU is better, of course... - but seriously, this is based on the v1.7 TMO, but it ain't nowhere near as tough as TMO. It is dolled-up though, to be prettier, and it definitely has more ships and planes. TMO benefits from the use of a Large Address Aware app, but with FotRSU, it is mandatory, else the game will crash. To double-check your LAA activation, just load SH4.exe (NOT the ico file) into LAA, and if the tick box isn't checked, then that means it didn't "take" the first time, which usually means that the "Read-only" attribute is set. If such is the case, navigate into the game folder, right-click on SH4.exe, and choose "Properties" from the resultant context menu. The first tab is the "General" tab, and at the bottom of that should be "Attributes" with a tick box for "Read-only". If it is empty, you are good to go. If it has a checkmark in it, clear and "OK" your way out. Do LAA again.

My last install of SH3 Steam no longer had a DirectX v9.0c install prompt, but when I first started the game, it did install DirectX v9 and the codecs. Don't interrupt that process if your Steam SH4 does that. Usually speaking, if there is a DirectX failure, there is a 3D failure message. If there is a version problem with SH4 (Steam v1.3 versus UBoat Missions), it is usually the Black80.tga file that is mentioned, not the VolumetricFogPS.fx file... that's why I'm guessing an LAA issue.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 05:15 PM   #2770
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Question... part trois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
When the time was right, I let slip the dogs.. erhm, torps of war...

In addition to that, ran across a Jyunsen Type 1, sank that... but.. like the Taisohan maru.. it didn't slip beneath the waves headed for the bottom... completely. However, unlike the Taisohan Maru, the aft 1/2 did slip beneath the waves, the bow bobbed about like a cork... & the sub was still in 1 piece, with 2 torp blown holes in it.
Quote:
That's what your deck gun is for mister! Actually, that is part of the problem with both the flare going up, and the "sunk" icon appearing. Look how many reports there were from US skippers of "ship sunk", and they hadn't actually, but rather were able to limp somewhere, or ground themselves, to be repaired later. I have had similar, and one hit from the deck gun would probably put the JyunsenB down, while it might take a few to get the ship beneath the waves. Just remember, there are some fanatic gunsmen on some of those ships, that keep their stations until underwater...

Yeah, true.. seems that lil' tid bit of info, slipped past My ol' dusty, rusty beat up hd of a thing called.. a brain, missed that filter memo. Now that it's mentioned, I do recall that pertinent factoid.

Should I run into that, yet again... I shall see of having the crew man the deck gun & see of pumping a few into their floating carcasses...

Do have 1 further question...

On the Gato, after I rolled into Pearl to end patrol 7... & put in for a trans, (which only options for that were, either Midway, which.. was too bloody close to Pearl, for My tastes... too long of a transit to get on station.. & yeah, I know they dealt with that... not that I want to, & so...) trans applied for & was accepted.. I went with Brisbane.. was kind of hoping for getting back to Freemantle, but was not an option & Brisbane was the lesser of 2 evils, as it were. Still have some transiting to do, but no where near as long as Pearl or Midway... at least from My perspective, at any rate

Any who... back on point...

I did do a bit of upgrading to the ol' tub... I put in a dual barreled flak system, which is fine... My inquiry is with regards to a Bow mount deck gun & the aft addition of a what I assume is a secondary flak gun/deck gun... (??) With that as added to the sub, does it come with any additional crew slots or not..?

While in office there @ Brisbane, before setting off for patrol 8, I did check & there are crew slots for the deck gun, 1 for the anti air flak... but no others, at all... & knowing that others have had issues with gun slots just up & pulling a Harry Houdini.. well.. it does tend to make 1 wonder if this is another case of that... or not....

Sooo... inquiring minds wanna know.. is this such a case or is everything... ship shape.?

M. M.

Old 02-19-21, 05:35 PM   #2771
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Oh, why, FotRSU is better, of course... - but seriously, this is based on the v1.7 TMO, but it ain't nowhere near as tough as TMO. It is dolled-up though, to be prettier, and it definitely has more ships and planes. TMO benefits from the use of a Large Address Aware app, but with FotRSU, it is mandatory, else the game will crash. To double-check your LAA activation, just load SH4.exe (NOT the ico file) into LAA, and if the tick box isn't checked, then that means it didn't "take" the first time, which usually means that the "Read-only" attribute is set. If such is the case, navigate into the game folder, right-click on SH4.exe, and choose "Properties" from the resultant context menu. The first tab is the "General" tab, and at the bottom of that should be "Attributes" with a tick box for "Read-only". If it is empty, you are good to go. If it has a checkmark in it, clear and "OK" your way out. Do LAA again.

My last install of SH3 Steam no longer had a DirectX v9.0c install prompt, but when I first started the game, it did install DirectX v9 and the codecs. Don't interrupt that process if your Steam SH4 does that. Usually speaking, if there is a DirectX failure, there is a 3D failure message. If there is a version problem with SH4 (Steam v1.3 versus UBoat Missions), it is usually the Black80.tga file that is mentioned, not the VolumetricFogPS.fx file... that's why I'm guessing an LAA issue.
propbeanie +1

Being a Steam.. connoisseur, as it were...

With Steam, they have 2 versions of SH4, that any who use that as their source for getting SH4, needs to be aware of this fact.. & other than your saying SH4 v1.3 (which is not 1 of them 2 there through Steam, it is actually SH4 v1.4 & SH4 v1.5) I do concur with the rest of what you said...

If an error code of 'Black80.tga' crops up, it is owing to the fact that the subsimmer, using Steam, inadvertently grabbed SH4 v1.4, instead of SH4 v1.5, which is understandable given as I stated above...

Upon reading what was said, My 1st thoughts went to.. did they ensure that:

1. They went into properties on the SH4.exe & uncheck read only...

2. Did they utilize either a 4GB patch to said SH4.exe or Large Address Aware... ( which to Me, LAA, is the simpler to use.. it is a simple 3 step process, point it at where the .exe is, check to have 4 GB RAM assigned to it & finally.. click accept or OK... as it were &... Done. Ezy peazy.. Mac & cheezy... So simple a cave man could do it... )

*wipes My eyes... & lets out a whoo...* Sorry... My weird twisted sense of humor running amok there..

On 1st install of SH4, can confirm, that SH4 does indeed do an initial set up of all that is needed for it to run, & if memory serves Me right.. I believe that does include dx in that, as well.. & as you pointed out, it is imperative.. that you DO NOT interrupt it... that can't be stressed enough.

At any rate, hope this info helps.. & is found to be useful.. as always...

Am off to go sink the entire IJN... singlehandedly... & not get sunk, in the process...

Fair winds, smooth seas & good huntin'...

M. M.

Old 02-19-21, 06:48 PM   #2772
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Balao, ex-Subic, Tsugaru Strait-SE Hokkaido coast, April 1945:

Active sonar operation was variable. Could sweep manually sometimes; others, the dial was frozen. Occasionally we could get ranges from the automated reports; usually not.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 09:04 PM   #2773
ETAIPOS
Swabbie

Quote:
As for the Widder versus Michel, I am glad you can say "clearly Michel". We have a "German_Auxilary_Cruisers.pdf" file in the Support / Extra_Info / Research folder, and there are no pictures of either vessel. A search on the internet does not find pictures. Do you know of an accurate source? Besides the "accurate" as in which date of their existence, that is a "Class" designation, not a specific ship designation. But if you have info, we might be able to accomplish something.
Ha, I have to admit I just used navypedia page (though it has only drawings...) and general internet search for Michel... For Widder some photos supposedly showing her pre war as Neumark came up on google. for example here: http://www.sixtant.net/2011/artigos....)raider-widder
Seemingly same ship is also on the photo on Polish(and a few other languages) wikipedia articles for Widder, though the photo itself is named NORDMRK instead, so maybe there was some sort of mixup with names? BDW, the same photo is also used for Orion, the second "old" HSK.

Still, the fact that Michel was brand new ship while Widder was some 10 years old suggest they probably looked differently. Widder was also much bigger than in game displacement, while Michel fits almost perfectly.

Looking at available evidence now, using the word "clearly" was definitely not justified

Quote:
Then, as for the "useless 10 day patrolling", those were your orders mister, and there is no such thing as "useless" in the US Department of the Navy. Always remember that... - The dispensation of the US submarines the first couple of years of the war was not very efficient. Most of the boats were put off major locations, near harbor patrols and airplane ASW, and quite a few were wasted with 10 days of useless patrol in Tablas Strait and the Verde Island passage - four boats, in fact. Of course, the US wasn't certain as to where the Japanese were going to come from... so, is it really "useless"?
And I fulfilled those orders to the letter But as I had not spotted even a fishing boat, it was objectively useless Though I do understand that for high command getting information in which places there are no enemy ships is only slightly less valuable than where they are

Quote:
As for the Contact Report bug, the game uses a rather limited "algorithm" to determine responses to Contact Reports. As such, you "targeted" a transport, which is UnitType=103 Troop Transport. There is no big, medium or small designation in that Class designation. When you got the response, "Sink the Large Transports", it actually hides a "tonnage" requirement in the Contact Report 12.mis file, of a total of 3600 tons of Troop Transports. The "Small Transports" are only about 1800 ton each, so you would need three of them for a "completed objective". The contact report objectives are not worth that much anyway. We reduced the amount they give, because there are issues with the "logic" in the game with them... I'll change that "large" designation though, to just "Sink all of the Troop Transports you can! ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!" or some such. Thanks for mentioning that.
Ha, I was considering that I just sunk too few troop transports but wasn't sure what is more important in the order - "large" or "Troop Transport" and as I had problems with proper aiming I wasted a too many torps to attack another one. Unfortunately by night of 23/24th when I arrived there most were probably unloaded already...

Last edited by ETAIPOS; 02-19-21 at 09:18 PM.
ETAIPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 09:31 PM   #2774
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAIPOS View Post
Ha, I was considering that I just sunk too few troop transports but wasn't sure what is more important in the order - "large" or "Troop Transport" and as I had problems with proper aiming I wasted a too many torps to attack another one. Unfortunately by night of 23/24th when I arrived there most were probably unloaded already...
Ahoy, ETAIPOS...

1 thing to never forget is... although NOT 100% accurate, there is your having crew that can man the deck gun, as well... & to NOT forget that it is there, for those instances when torps are not 100% effective in taking down a target.

1 thing to keep in mind, though.. when utilizing the deck gun.. always make sure that using it, doesn't put your sub in danger though.

Check to see that there are NO escorts around, check that the target or in a few cases, targets.. are NOT armed with their own deck guns.

If this has been met, as it were, then surface if you're not already on the surface.. & have them man the gun.

Utilizing it, helps to cut down on having to use so many torps, if you've gotten past the trying time of torps dudding out, that is.. if you are running your career with that option turned on.. & Yes, even the U.S. arm of the sub fleet.. had their own issues with bad batch of torps.. it wasn't relegated to the Germans having issues with them.. iirc, even the IJN, had their own problem with torps.. though iirc not near as much or as long as either the Germans or the U.S., if memory serves Me right...

Any way, hope this info helps...

Fair winds, smooth seas & Good huntin'...

M. M.

p.s.

Even if they were or not, is not a sticking point.. that you sank them, thereby depriving the enemy those ships... puts the stress of having to use up resources to replace them... after enough of them being sunk, begins to take its toll on their ability to field units & as such begins to put them in a vulnerable position... hence, making it easier to defeat them, in the long view... which is the key point, make it invariably costly for them to continue...
Old 02-20-21, 03:32 PM   #2775
ETAIPOS
Swabbie

I encountered a very strange convoy off north-east coast of Borneo.

It seems to be an invasion TF lead by CA, with 10 or so small troop transports, escorted by 8-10 DD and 2-3 CLs. I have no idea where they are going. It is 11 January, too early for Balikpapan, landing force should be at Tarakan (though there is none - I patrolled there from late night 9th to morning 11th).

But the strangest problem with this TF is that they seem to magically know where I am.

As long as I am shadowing, they move super slowly (3kts) South. But as soon as I try to close, they begin to turn away from me, plus they begin strange maneuvers - transports either turn towards second column, or turn towards me to pass almost directly over my position, or just randomly turn resulting in entire convoy becoming a total chaos, with one constant point - an empty space in 40-50 degree angle in front of my sub. Destroyers reposition constantly to be close to charge in as soon as I rise above thermal layer. If I attack from the front, at least 4 guard from that direction. If I approach from the back, similarly they gather around, leaving their original position in front of the formation.

They are not that deadly, as I managed to perform multiple attack attempts then dive back to 240 ft, then reposition and rise up to periscope depth.
But even constantly cheating with outside view the best I managed was to sink one ship with aft tube. On another attempt I hit another in the stern, but it steamed away even though it lost rudder and one of the screws

No matter what angle I approach, no matter that I am at 240 ft, silent running and below thermal layer, convoy still know where my ship is and entire convoy reforms to make the attack super difficult.

It seems as if AI had super skilled search programming (or even cheating level - unlimited view range) but rookie attack routine, or even something that stops them from attacking until my ship is shallow enough (and even then I can often dodge)

As it is my first convoy attack in the mod... are they all like that?