SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-02-20, 07:03 PM   #2131
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
Wow, ok, no need to attack the devs.

I didn't "attack" the developers. I pointed out that the "mod soup" that FOTRSU is "internally" made up of has not been properly meshed together. All the modders that contributed were actually praised in my post. Go back and read it and this time put your glasses on.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 08:49 PM   #2132
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
To begin with, I missed seeing the mention of 'Mili', and as such... I stand corrected.
Same sub class, same patrol begin date.... yet... this is where things veer off on a completely different, but somewhat similar ways...
Ahh, but there are 3 missions to the Marshalls, and two to Empire Waters, just for the first mission. The game shouldn't play the same way twice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
I didn't "attack" the developers. I pointed out that the "mod soup" that FOTRSU is "internally" made up of has not been properly meshed together. All the modders that contributed were actually praised in my post. Go back and read it and this time put your glasses on.
No need for insinuations or insults. I do think you need to re-read your own post Gray Lensman, and attempt to see the tone that could be insinuated from it. It sure seemed like an insult to me, with a backhanded compliment. Another thing - the thread here is to report problems. We attempt to hunt them down. We attempt to fix them. Hence all of the problems posted.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 09:44 PM   #2133
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
<snip>

No need for insinuations or insults. I do think you need to re-read your own post Gray Lensman, and attempt to see the tone that could be insinuated from it. It sure seemed like an insult to me, with a backhanded compliment. Another thing - the thread here is to report problems. We attempt to hunt them down. We attempt to fix them. Hence all of the problems posted.

Good Grief... Typical programmer/modder attitude... Get criticism about your failures and all of a sudden it's an insult. FYI, it's what real beta testers, not fanboys, are supposed to do. I wish you all the success in the world getting this FOTRSU mod to work all the way thru to a campaign conclusion without screwing up on a regular basis, but it appears it's just not gonna happen anytime soon from all the other issues being reported in this thread.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 10:02 PM   #2134
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Not a dev or modder, just a normal user: your post came across as insulting.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 10:11 PM   #2135
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
Good Grief... Typical programmer/modder attitude... Get criticism about your failures and all of a sudden it's an insult. FYI, it's what real beta testers, not fanboys, are supposed to do. I wish you all the success in the world getting this FOTRSU mod to work all the way thru to a campaign conclusion without screwing up on a regular basis, but it appears it's just not gonna happen anytime soon from all the other issues being reported in this thread.

Whatever.

Old 11-02-20, 10:32 PM   #2136
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: Missions...

Quote:
Ahh, but there are 3 missions to the Marshalls, and two to Empire Waters, just for the first mission. The game shouldn't play the same way twice...
propbeanie,

True...

My error (which I freely admit) was 1 of missing 'key' information compounded by assuming based on missing said 'key' information...

Of which, when I am wrong, I will admit that(sheepishly, but I'll face it head on without hesitation).

M. M.

Old 11-03-20, 01:24 PM   #2137
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Whatever.
+1

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-20, 03:01 PM   #2138
Captain Prise
Seaman

Downloads: 82

Quick question, does Fotrsu have real naval battles in the campaign? I mean I received a radio message of "enemy ships spotted in the coral sea" near the day the actual battle happened there, would there actually be ships when I go there? Or could I find places naval battles in this mod? Forgive me if I ask too much
Captain Prise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-20, 04:14 PM   #2139
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: actual ship & such in actual battles included..???? my opinion only, thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Prise View Post
Quick question, does Fotrsu have real naval battles in the campaign? I mean I received a radio message of "enemy ships spotted in the coral sea" near the day the actual battle happened there, would there actually be ships when I go there? Or could I find places naval battles in this mod? Forgive me if I ask too much
Captain Prise

Ok, to begin... I don't really think so... but.. I could well be wrong. If so, then I will state 'I stand corrected.'.

This is based on remembering what was said by fred8615, the modder that created the Pre Pearl mod for SH4... ''trying to redock, at Pearl on the day of the attack, would be a logistical nightmare.'' (paraphrasing here, so take this with a grain of mental salt, if you will...) when you consider the sheer # of aircraft of the IJN that were involved in carrying out the attack, the sheer # of ships harbored there at Pearl notwithstanding that the carriers, which were the main thrust of the attack being carried out, in the 1st place, which were not there to begin with but had they been.... yeah.. Then if you take into account the reports of there being at least possibly 2 mini subs that actually made it into the harbor... trying to mass coordinate all of that... yeesh... & you begin to understand & appreciate just why they left that out of 'their' mod.

Now, granted, all of that alone, does NOT preclude the inception of recreating other naval battles... but... even those relatively minor ones, does bring into play, if they could even be recreated, accordingly to how they played out... is it possible.. maybe... is it feasible.. again, maybe... is it advisable... that remains a good question.

That's NOT to say, it would not be nice to actually be able to be there (in game wise, at least...) or to be able to be a somewhat stand offish observer, in virtuoso reality... or would that be virtual... virtuoso, would fit... in artist manner... at least by the definition I found.

Even if it was able & was done.. would every one be able to appreciate it, much less be an active participant... considering that NOT all computers are created equally... (a particular model... ok, maybe... but given the nature of how fast 1 is considered obsolete, heck just about 100% of them are & THAT is even before the ink is dry on the blue prints ever leaving the design table...) then that would likely be a definitive NO.

That, is of course, just My own observational opinion... Hope it helps.

M. M.

Old 11-03-20, 06:14 PM   #2140
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Do you remember your mission assignment on the overview map, when you tried to do the first patrol? This could well be related though, to what mazzi found for the Balao and its deck gun, which is expanded to the Gato & Tench for the next release. All boats will have all guns, whether the boat is active before or after the gun. This includes the AA guns, so we'll see how their availability goes during testing also. I am in the process of running through all of the other equipment also. I expect my eyes to roll to the back of my head at any moment -
"Proceed to Area 7 and engage in anti-shipping operations" etc. 13 Dec 1944
Old 11-03-20, 11:34 PM   #2141
Captain Prise
Seaman

Downloads: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Captain Prise

Ok, to begin... I don't really think so... but.. I could well be wrong. If so, then I will state 'I stand corrected.'.

This is based on remembering what was said by fred8615, the modder that created the Pre Pearl mod for SH4... ''trying to redock, at Pearl on the day of the attack, would be a logistical nightmare.'' (paraphrasing here, so take this with a grain of mental salt, if you will...) when you consider the sheer # of aircraft of the IJN that were involved in carrying out the attack, the sheer # of ships harbored there at Pearl notwithstanding that the carriers, which were the main thrust of the attack being carried out, in the 1st place, which were not there to begin with but had they been.... yeah.. Then if you take into account the reports of there being at least possibly 2 mini subs that actually made it into the harbor... trying to mass coordinate all of that... yeesh... & you begin to understand & appreciate just why they left that out of 'their' mod.

Now, granted, all of that alone, does NOT preclude the inception of recreating other naval battles... but... even those relatively minor ones, does bring into play, if they could even be recreated, accordingly to how they played out... is it possible.. maybe... is it feasible.. again, maybe... is it advisable... that remains a good question.

That's NOT to say, it would not be nice to actually be able to be there (in game wise, at least...) or to be able to be a somewhat stand offish observer, in virtuoso reality... or would that be virtual... virtuoso, would fit... in artist manner... at least by the definition I found.

Even if it was able & was done.. would every one be able to appreciate it, much less be an active participant... considering that NOT all computers are created equally... (a particular model... ok, maybe... but given the nature of how fast 1 is considered obsolete, heck just about 100% of them are & THAT is even before the ink is dry on the blue prints ever leaving the design table...) then that would likely be a definitive NO.

That, is of course, just My own observational opinion... Hope it helps.

M. M.

Kaleun Mardigan
First of all, thanks for the great response. I wasn't expecting such an elaborate answer. I had been debating whether to go to those areas stated in the radio messages so I am glad that's cleared up.

I could only imagine how hard it would be to recreate these events in the game. I myself have a very little background in mods and editing from other games and I must say that sometimes even small things are hard to do or at least time consuming.
Captain Prise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-20, 07:19 AM   #2142
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Prise View Post
Most of the major sea battles are "modeled" in the mod, at least to a "Stock" game level (which has a few), but with FotRSU ships. Several of the battles are relatively accurate, which just means that a group representing some of the groups do show on the dates, and some on "historical" routes. As Mad Mardigan alludes, "accuracy" is an impossibility, due to software AI, as well as game "bandwidth" restrictions. That's just a fancy way to say that we don't have separate groups over 32 ships in size (most are not over 24 ships), and attempt to restrict the number of airplanes involved, due to the fact that a group that size will bring your computer to a crawl, no matter how much hp it has, due to the game itself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
"Proceed to Area 7 and engage in anti-shipping operations" etc. 13 Dec 1944
Thanks. Both missions that go there have been tested and pass, and the Flotillas / PatrolObjectives (for all boats) for a "Honshu" code are fine, so we will lay it to a combination of factors, #1 being of course, that the submarine is not available until January 1, 1945. #2 being that the Tench is not available anywhere except at Pearl Harbor. Of course, it is difficult to tell where you are trying to start your patrol until you are on the boat... But you should have been automatically transferred to Pearl Harbor by the game. #3 The deck guns are not configured fully correctly (it sounds like my 7th grade English teacher is rolling in her grave because of my grammar), in that FotRSU does not have the 3" gun listed for the Balao nor the Tench in any of its versions. Note: I am not blaming anyone for this, other than us current fellows, since we are the ones that missed these details, but we do request some understanding in this regard.

Now, you will notice a less-prominent presence of both s7rikeback and myself here for most likely a week or more, as we finalize the next version, which will not be as "ambitious" as we wanted it to be (again), due to incorporating further changes to the deck guns and AA guns that we did not anticipate having to do. This makes us have to test what we currently have in the v1.26p, then incorporate the "fixes" and test, then bring in the dat and other file changes of the next release and test that. The changes should make the mod even smaller and more efficient. The 3-level testing will slow us down, of course. You will see changes to the first page of this thread as we go along. The next version will NOT be backward compatible, since that was another problem encountered with the v1.2 series of releases and patches. Some of the fixes are also not backward compatible.

Old 11-04-20, 03:34 PM   #2143
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Strange that I was offered a Tench before they should be available.

Also that I wasn't sent to Pearl. Still at Midway.

I tried transferring - no transfer possible.
Old 11-04-20, 08:43 PM   #2144
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

well was hoping to download your mod give it another try but i cant get it to downloa for me but best of luck on this mod
Old 11-04-20, 09:08 PM   #2145
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Strange that I was offered a Tench before they should be available.

Also that I wasn't sent to Pearl. Still at Midway.

I tried transferring - no transfer possible.
yes, it is a Stock issue and cannot be corrected through mod-ing. in Stock you can receive an early-release Balao because there is no Tench.

in the Tench-eligible mega-mods, the early-release upgrade can happen for both the Balao and the Tench.

the paradigm occurs when a Kaleun consistently racks up enough renown in 1944 to be upgraded out of their Gato or even a Balao to a Tench prior to its official release date which is either January or February 1945. the errors occur because even though you are awarded the boat early, some of the equipment onboard isn't available until the official release date of the boat. don't yell at me, i just the guy who did what you did a while ago.

the key is know that this can happen, know beforehand what is the official release date of the advanced boat, and then refuse the upgrade until your game date exceeds the official release date.

hopefully, you have a savegame from your previous mission so that you can replay a short amount of that mission, go home and refuse the upgrade.

p.s. you can't transfer out of Pearl because Pearl is the only base that can handle the Tench in the mod set you are playing.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote