SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-01-22, 04:38 PM   #4336
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Default RWR_APR_Patch

OK - so far, so good with this. This is a small patch to "re-acquire" APR radar warning receiver functionality back into FotRSU. There were not only several links incorrect, but there were also parts and pieces missing from the mod. I do not remember us removing the functionality, but... Anyway, included with this is a slightly re-worked Insert / Extract mission off St George's Channel on New Britain. In conjunction with that, the PatrolObjectives file was tweaked to have it assigned earlier out of Brisbane, so as to avoid potential date issues.

In the Library folder, all of the RWR links have been re-worked for the APR-1. That is also redone in the Equipment and UpgradePacks dot upc files. In addition, missing C01 links in the UnitPart#SubName upc files have been corrected. The Tench has its links in the SubName folder in the Submarine folder. Quite a few of the conning towers in the Objects folder had to be re-done for that same C01 node and link.

Since we're posting another patch, we went ahead and added an armed trawler to the Philippine Roster so that it has a warship for the RecMan, which (in theory) will prevent a CTD occurring there.

This had NOT been fully tested, with not all of the subs having been tested for functionality, much less actual proper upgrade in a career. All tests thus far have been successful, though as mentioned the other day, it does NOT function as I expected. It can be very difficult to tell the difference between a sonar line, and a radar signal line, so the player does have to pay attention to the text box. Also, you do not see any "functionality" if you have your own radar on. Do not expect the APR on the S-Boats, nor the Cachalot. Some boats have it available as a purchase in June 1944, but others are July - December of 1944, Class dependent. Do not forget about CapnScurvy's Using Radar_Sonar pdf in the Support / HowTo folder, and we'll try to supplement that in the next release for use with the APR-1

RWR_APR_Patch.7z

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-22, 06:55 PM   #4337
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
OK - so far, so good with this. This is a small patch to "re-acquire" APR radar warning receiver functionality back into FotRSU. There were not only several links incorrect, but there were also parts and pieces missing from the mod. I do not remember us removing the functionality, but... Anyway, included with this is a slightly re-worked Insert / Extract mission off St George's Channel on New Britain. In conjunction with that, the PatrolObjectives file was tweaked to have it assigned earlier out of Brisbane, so as to avoid potential date issues.

In the Library folder, all of the RWR links have been re-worked for the APR-1. That is also redone in the Equipment and UpgradePacks dot upc files. In addition, missing C01 links in the UnitPart#SubName upc files have been corrected. The Tench has its links in the SubName folder in the Submarine folder. Quite a few of the conning towers in the Objects folder had to be re-done for that same C01 node and link.

Since we're posting another patch, we went ahead and added an armed trawler to the Philippine Roster so that it has a warship for the RecMan, which (in theory) will prevent a CTD occurring there.

This had NOT been fully tested, with not all of the subs having been tested for functionality, much less actual proper upgrade in a career. All tests thus far have been successful, though as mentioned the other day, it does NOT function as I expected. It can be very difficult to tell the difference between a sonar line, and a radar signal line, so the player does have to pay attention to the text box. Also, you do not see any "functionality" if you have your own radar on. Do not expect the APR on the S-Boats, nor the Cachalot. Some boats have it available as a purchase in June 1944, but others are July - December of 1944, Class dependent. Do not forget about CapnScurvy's Using Radar_Sonar pdf in the Support / HowTo folder, and we'll try to supplement that in the next release for use with the APR-1

RWR_APR_Patch.7z
Just... a general query... would it not be doable, to assign a... different color to the lines, so as to be able to differentiate between the sonar line & a radar one... just wondering...

M. M.
Old 02-01-22, 10:18 PM   #4338
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:

RWR_APR_Patch.7z
Where should this mod/patch be placed in the order of mods? I'm going to assign it a number based on where it should fall in the order. Should it be the last, or fall after the Nippon set?

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-22, 01:22 AM   #4339
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Just... a general query... would it not be doable, to assign a... different color to the lines, so as to be able to differentiate between the sonar line & a radar one... just wondering...

M. M.
I could clarify that a pinch... The FotRSU set-up is 'mostly' Stock, with some TMO - ie: little "boxes" and ship/plane icons to show the enemy, but all of the "lines" used are black, such as Sonar. When you add the "dot" NavMap markers mods in, you get TMO-style targeting. In other words, all lines are still the same color. If however, you add-in "450_MoonlightzSonarLines" mod, you then get full Stock markers and colors. You would then see warships as blue sonar, merchants as black sonar lines, and radar detected as dark green lines, with quick little "blips" as the sweep goes around - but your own radar has to be off to see the detector function, usually. But it can be dangerous to drive around without your radar on... Tracking a radar-carrying target while on the surface at night is usually doable with the APR-1, though the sonar will also show...

I haven't tried it myself yet, but in theory, if you add "450_MoonlightzSonarLines" and then the TMO-style mods on top, it should leave the colored lines, with the "dots".

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Where should this mod/patch be placed in the order of mods? I'm going to assign it a number based on where it should fall in the order. Should it be the last, or fall after the Nippon set?
It really shouldn't matter what order you put them in, but if doing a new set-up, I would do the patch 2nd, Nippon & Nihon 3rd & 4th, Roster 5th then the rest of your mods, paying particular attention to any mods s7rikeback has edited specifically for Nippon & Nihon, if any of those apply in your situation.

Edit: btw, I forgot to mention again that the use of the Fleetboat Interiors Officer's Quarters mod will negate the C01 link in the conning tower, and disable the RWR functionality. We'll have a "patch" for that in a few days, after further testing there.

Last edited by propbeanie; 02-02-22 at 10:05 AM. Reason: FIOQ note
Old 02-02-22, 08:39 PM   #4340
BeondTheGrave
Swabbie

Downloads: 67

Hope this hasn't been posted before, but I am running into a pernicious crash that I cant quite figure out. It happens as the game renders into the 3d world from both save files and from a fresh new career. I can get through the mission briefing, pick if I want to start in port or out of port, and the game goes through the loading screen just fine. But where the 3d world should appear there is just.... nothing. No sea, no boat, no UI or hud elements. All there is is a golden cursor, and a bunch of 'Unknown Error' Messages and one error about an issue in the volumetric fog file. And then CTD. Except that I have volumetric fog disabled anyway.... I'm sure its an issue with the mod, as I can get into the boat just fine in vanilla. I am also trying to run FotRS by itself. Id like to add in a few more mods, but as of yet nothing that should be causing a compatibility issue there. Run the LAA patch, changed DPI options, cleared out the Save folder. No dice. Anyone have any ideas?
BeondTheGrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-22, 09:03 PM   #4341
propbeanie

It is not the mod. You do not mention which version of SH4 you have attempted to activate the mod in. You also do not mention what the path is to SH4.exe (ie: C:\Program Files (x86) \Ubisoft \Wolves of the Pacific" etc), nor do you mention if when you installed SH4 whether you installed MS DirectX v9.0c or the Codecs for it. A Steam install will generally "automatically" do that for you, and the Ubisoft install prompts you. The disk install gives you more choices. Post back with that info. If you are getting error messages about black80.tga missing, then you do not have v1.5 of SH4, which is a pre-requisite of FotRSU. Does the Stock game function correctly? Let us know please!

Old 02-02-22, 11:57 PM   #4342
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
It is not the mod. You do not mention which version of SH4 you have attempted to activate the mod in. You also do not mention what the path is to SH4.exe (ie: C:\Program Files (x86) \Ubisoft \Wolves of the Pacific" etc), nor do you mention if when you installed SH4 whether you installed MS DirectX v9.0c or the Codecs for it. A Steam install will generally "automatically" do that for you, and the Ubisoft install prompts you. The disk install gives you more choices. Post back with that info. If you are getting error messages about black80.tga missing, then you do not have v1.5 of SH4, which is a pre-requisite of FotRSU. Does the Stock game function correctly? Let us know please!
Willing to bet $$$ to donuts, that they... are trying to run FotRS Ultimate, with SH4 v1.4 (based on their stating... of running into several error codes... ) & going out on a limb here & saying, that they likely... installed in either 1, of Windows "\Program files"... propbeanie.

Could be wrong... but... am highly doubting it.

M. M.
Old 02-03-22, 08:23 AM   #4343
BeondTheGrave
Swabbie

Quote:
Running the Steam version, with U-Boat missions. Main menu says v1.5 and I do have the German campaign available for selection. The path is A:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific. I didn't intentionally install MS DirectX 9.0, but if you say Steam does that for you then it would have done it for me because I am on steam. I am NOT getting the error message about black80.tga missing, I am getting several unknown error prompts and a prompt about the volumetric fog effect. The literally just say "error! Unknown Error." and "Program. Data/Shaders/VolumetricFog/VolumetricFogPS.fx". Then crash. If someone can direct me to a crash log I'll post it. I do indeed have a file in that location, maybe I should just manually replace it with the one from the mod? I am also using JSGME to install the mod, everything there seems to be working fine though. It created the extras folder and I can see the FotRS splash screen when I load in. I dont have any issues with the stock game, can load in to the 3d view and play the game normally. I am also getting these errors with ONLY the FotRS enabled. No other potential for mod conflicts, because I'm not currently enabling any other mods. I also applied the LAA patch to the SH4.exe, put the game in XP SP3 compatibility mode, disabled DPI scaling, turned off full screen optimizations, and deleted the SH4 save files in MyDocuments.

I tried solving the issue on my own before I posted since I didn't want to waste anyones time, but so far no dice.
Old 02-03-22, 08:49 AM   #4344
propbeanie

1. What is your "A:" drive?
2. Did you create the rest of the path yourself?
3. Are you attempting to start from the Steam menu?
4. Are you starting Wolves of the Pacific, or U-Boat Missions?

Copying the "not-missing" files will not solve the problem. If you are seeing the FotRSU splash screen, then the mod structure in the MODS folder should be good. Windows could still be attempting to interfere with the activation. It would leave the graphic files alone, but rollback ini & cfg files.

If you are copying the Steam SH4 files from one folder to another without having first run the game to initialize its licensing, you can run into issues, but if that copy of the game runs find with FotRSU removed, then the licensing is fine. Just be sure you are invoking the proper short-cut for the SH4.exe file. Another possible issue is that the game is a WinXP game, and it might be seeing the "A:" drive as a 3 1/2" floppy, and not whatever it is that you have. I doubt it has that ability, but you never know... If the Stock version there runs fine without FotRSU though, that is probably not an issue.

One last thing I can think of for you to look at is: When doing the Large Address Aware, you have to make certain that the SH4.exe "target" is write-enabled. In the SH4 game folder, right-click the SH4.exe file, and choose "Properties" from the bottom of the context menu. The first "General" tab page has the "Attributes" section at the bottom, and you want to be sure that the tick-box for "Read-only" is cleared. Then run LAA or the 4Gig Patch after that. While you generally won't see the errors you are getting, it does crash the game as it enters the 3D world if SH4.exe is not able to write to a larger memory space.

Old 02-03-22, 09:36 AM   #4345
BeondTheGrave
Swabbie

Quote:
1. What is your "A:" drive?
2. Did you create the rest of the path yourself?
3. Are you attempting to start from the Steam menu?
4. Are you starting Wolves of the Pacific, or U-Boat Missions?
1. I have two hard drives, C: where Windows lives and A: where games live. A: has all my Steam games on it. SteamLibrary is a top level folder on that drive, no program files or whatever.

2. No, this is my default steam installation path.

3.I have both attempted to start from Steam and from the SH4.exe directly, neither produces different results.

4. I have been trying to start from U-Boat Missions. It was my understanding that was the one to pick for modded SH4. For S&Gs I tried just now to run it from the Wolves of the Pacific option on Steam, exact same process.

5. The .exe was write enabled for the LAA patch.

I think probably I should just uninstall and reinstall everything clean, somehow something got messed up or a file was corrupted during download. But I guess I was just hoping there might be a simple solution. I am on rural internet so a fresh download of the two sets of game files (wolves & Uboat) plus FotRS will probably take all day. Tragedy and I havn't even left port.
Old 02-03-22, 12:12 PM   #4346
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeondTheGrave View Post
1. I have two hard drives, C: where Windows lives and A: where games live. A: has all my Steam games on it. SteamLibrary is a top level folder on that drive, no program files or whatever.

2. No, this is my default steam installation path.

3.I have both attempted to start from Steam and from the SH4.exe directly, neither produces different results.

4. I have been trying to start from U-Boat Missions. It was my understanding that was the one to pick for modded SH4. For S&Gs I tried just now to run it from the Wolves of the Pacific option on Steam, exact same process.

5. The .exe was write enabled for the LAA patch.

I think probably I should just uninstall and reinstall everything clean, somehow something got messed up or a file was corrupted during download. But I guess I was just hoping there might be a simple solution. I am on rural internet so a fresh download of the two sets of game files (wolves & Uboat) plus FotRS will probably take all day. Tragedy and I havn't even left port.
With having access to SH4 from Steam... did you pay for access to both copies of it or just the 1... as from what I can tell of, Steam... does allow for 1 version copy to be acquired, as best I can tell. Considering that both v1.4 & 1.5 show up in the store as purchasable, solo.

If you grabbed both... then on downloading... of either, will lead to the 1 you're trying to download, overwriting the other 1... meaning, you're not downloading both, individually. Crazy, I know... but... it is what it is. I know. Learned that, the hard way.

M. M.
Old 02-03-22, 01:36 PM   #4347
BeondTheGrave
Swabbie

Mad, not sure quite what you mean but I have BOTH Wolves of the Pacific AND U-Boat missions installed. Both are separate entries into my steam games list, one is a 4gb download and the other is 6gb. But they seem to all pour into the same SH4 game folder on my HDD. The install instructions for this mod and others also make it seem like thats the case as well. One unified file structure for both the game and expansion.
Old 02-03-22, 01:55 PM   #4348
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeondTheGrave View Post
Mad, not sure quite what you mean but I have BOTH Wolves of the Pacific AND U-Boat missions installed. Both are separate entries into my steam games list, one is a 4gb download and the other is 6gb. But they seem to all pour into the same SH4 game folder on my HDD. The install instructions for this mod and others also make it seem like thats the case as well. One unified file structure for both the game and expansion.
What it means, is... say you download/install v1.4, initially... with the intent to mod it... you get all that done, then decide oh hey, while I'm at it, wanna download/install the other version (1.5), as well... so... you go to do that... but... instead of downloading & installing v1.5 by itself (with the intentions of having the 1.4 copy, as well...) with Me thus far... hope so...

well, you get it downloaded & installed... only to find out, that 1.4 copy... & all that modding ya did to it... gone... arevi derci... buh bye... sayanara... dust in the wind.

you're downloading & installing of 1.5, just wiped 1.4, off the map...

That's what I meant.

M. M.
Old 02-03-22, 02:37 PM   #4349
BeondTheGrave
Swabbie

Success! Having completed the reinstallation process I have gotten in to game and seen a submarine. Mad, I think you may actually have been right with your explanation. I looked at my steam download order after I read your second post, this time SH4 Wolves installed FIRST and SH4 U-Boat installed SECOND. Not sure if the order was reversed last time but maybe I tried to install U-Boat first and it mucked everything up? Regardless, fingers crossed the issue seems to have resolved itself. Now lets see about installing some additional mod packs.....

Also THANKS! for the help. Since it was a steam issue, does this mean I owe Mad a donut?

Last edited by BeondTheGrave; 02-03-22 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-03-22, 02:58 PM   #4350
propbeanie

He's expensive... a cuppa Joe, sugar jelly doughnut, and a foot stool to prop his feet up on while he relaxes and basks in the glory...