SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-15-22, 12:07 AM   #4261
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Love it. Wish I could get the black AA "puffs" to show up in TMO.
CapnScurvy got that going for us, but it has been so long ago, I have forgotten what all was needed... Seems to me that it's already there...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 12:32 AM   #4262
phooey
A-ganger

Downloads: 225
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
This took me entirely too long to do (out of practice), but it was fun doing:

That is the Long Island, with the "proper" 40mm added to the eqp file - but this is without the added stack smoke that s7rikeback worked so hard for... barebones FotRSU, preparatory to the "patch", which does have the stacks smoke... btw, for those interested, the first 4:15 are just "posers", with various 'dramatic' shots of the two ships. The shooting starts at like 4:17 if you want to cut to the explosions, fire and mayhem...
Nice.

But there should be two more 40mm guns in the back, right?
phooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 01:58 AM   #4263
propbeanie

lol - I hadn't gotten that far yet. Just did a test run to see if they fit the gun bucket slot OK. I also want to look at the "historical" Long Island and work off of what I can find on it. Those "search" lights look a pinch out of place there anyway... lol

Old 01-15-22, 02:27 AM   #4264
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
lol - I hadn't gotten that far yet. Just did a test run to see if they fit the gun bucket slot OK. I also want to look at the "historical" Long Island and work off of what I can find on it. Those "search" lights look a pinch out of place there anyway... lol
Without looking at the actual ship in question... do seem to recall that there were... times when planes returning, would do so as it started to get dark & if the skipper felt it safe & warranted... would have a set of lights turned on, to give the pilots a... marker, to know where to aim for on their landing attempt.

It is feasibly possible that those there, are accurate... as to, location (taking into consideration, that I have yet to see any plans, detailed specs for the ship in question, mind you... ) but maybe, not quite as big. But... am unsure if there is a setup of search lights that may be a bit... smaller in scale. Am still... feeling My way around with things related to modding, that are more... up to date, I admit.

M. M.
Old 01-15-22, 10:37 AM   #4265
dannz
Swabbie

Downloads: 19
Default crash to desktop problem?

downloaded this. but got CTD on loading mission.

it said "No mission, too difficult" then quit.

please help me out.

sh4 1.5+ rising run 1.7 , no other mods.

thanks
Danny
dannz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 11:05 AM   #4266
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

dannz!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 12:55 PM   #4267
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
... but maybe, not quite as big. But... am unsure if there is a setup of search lights that may be a bit... smaller in scale...
lol - yeah, they are as big and honking as my ski-slope nose... lol - but my first run with all four 40mm, and the guns seem to fit OK into the same bucket with them, so for now, they're fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannz View Post
downloaded this. but got CTD on loading mission.

it said "No mission, too difficult" then quit.

please help me out.

sh4 1.5+ rising run 1.7 , no other mods.

thanks
Danny
"Details man, details..." lol - Give a bit of information on your computer specs, such as cpu, ram and graphics card, along with your OS. The most important detail is "What folder / path is the Silent Hunter 4 game installed in?" That looms large with the 'modern' Windows OS and the old 'legacy' DirectX v9.0c games, like Silent Hunter 4. Give us those details, and then let us know also what you have done, as far as the instruction on the first post of this thread, or as found on the download page, or in the pdf files in the mod's Support folder, and we'll get you going. The more detail you give, the closer to target we get, and can just use a small, tactical nuclear device then, instead of a Big Boy...

and as Aktunbby says "Welcome to SubSim!!!"

Old 01-15-22, 05:45 PM   #4268
dannz
Swabbie

Quote:
lol - yeah, they are as big and honking as my ski-slope nose... lol - but my first run with all four 40mm, and the guns seem to fit OK into the same bucket with them, so for now, they're fine.

"Details man, details..." lol - Give a bit of information on your computer specs, such as cpu, ram and graphics card, along with your OS. The most important detail is "What folder / path is the Silent Hunter 4 game installed in?" That looms large with the 'modern' Windows OS and the old 'legacy' DirectX v9.0c games, like Silent Hunter 4. Give us those details, and then let us know also what you have done, as far as the instruction on the first post of this thread, or as found on the download page, or in the pdf files in the mod's Support folder, and we'll get you going. The more detail you give, the closer to target we get, and can just use a small, tactical nuclear device then, instead of a Big Boy...

and as Aktunbby says "Welcome to SubSim!!!"

Yeah, captain, I used to be sh3 Gmx or gfo user, I forgot. Anyway, Mine is steam sh4 located in steam directory, win7 , 1060 display card. The Original sh4 works fine. Now I’m using rising sun 1.7 mod by following the instructions and by that mod manager “jsgme”, I forgot the name. And changed the files’ attributeS. I also installed the 1.7 patch, the patch has data and extra folder. I just pulled the data files into 1.7 data folder. That is what all I’ve done . Don’t know how to install this patch.
IS this enough? I went for any mission , it was loaded then showed “no mission too difficult” and quit to the Windows desktop suddenly .

Danny
Old 01-15-22, 06:07 PM   #4269
dannz
Swabbie

Quote:
Alright - step one in releasing a Patched version of the whole mod, is to be certain the patch actually works, therefore we give you

FotRSUv17_Patches.7z

This is a combination of what torpedobait tested with a Nippon Maru modded FotRSU game, and what Woozle tested, with a Fleetboat Interiors modded FotRSU, in addition to testing from propbeanie, s7rikeback and vickers03 for the same and various other parts, also included. Thanks to those two and to Mad Mardigan and Kyle_Maximus_U669 for finding these issues. Here is the ReadMe for the patch:
v17Patch_ReadMe.txt
===================

This is a "package" with two mods inside. Use one or the other, not both. The way to use these is to

1. Leave your base FotRSU mod in. If you have Nippon Maru and / or Nihon Kaigun it, leave those and the Combined Roster mod. Remove all other add-in mods

2. Extract this package to any folder of your choice, and copy the appropriate mod to your game's MODS folder. FotRSU with add-in mods would use the FotRSU17_Base_Patch, even if using Nihon Kaigun. Installs with Nippon Maru activated would use the FotRSU17_Nippon_Patch. After activating the appropriate Patch, you cannot change the mods that are above the Patch file, unless you de-activate the patch and then Nippon Maru and / or Nihon Kaigun, then apply the other Patch.

3. It is advisable to apply the new copies of the Add-in Mods out of the Extras folder for use with FotRSU. Several of those have changed also, and are included in each patch set.

Changes found in this Patch set:
--------------------------------
Common changes to both:
======================
Campaign Folder
---------
BattleofGuadalcanal, BattleOfMidway, BattleOfPhilippine, BattleOfPhilippineSea, BattleofTruk, Bungo_Pete, CoralSeaBattle, DeepBlueWolf, GeRaider all edited for tighter configuration and GameEntry date control. This does result in higher spawn rates for some of the files.

US_NavalBases.mis file NavalBase names edited to remove leading white space in their names. This was preventing the Albany base being used as a home port.

messages.txt edited for better language of base changes, with no specific bases named, unless spoken of in general terms. It behooves the player to pay attention to the slanted, fouled anchor that designates their Home Port, especially the submarines involved with the Asiatic Fleet locations early in the war.

PatrolObjectives
-----------------
BOM_01 folder and files added (copy of BOM01) to match the "call" in PatrolObjectives.cfg for the Nautilus

Insertion Corregidor Supplies edited for linear activity for read-ability

Patrol Java Sea 01 patrol area moved west and north to cover the strait involved in the Objective

SalmonNorth02 edited to "hide" the "Hidden Primary" Objectives that the player can see at the start of the mission. They now appear at appropriate times.

Sea
----
AI_Sen_Toku_Static sil file changed

NBB_Queen_Elisabeth #3 prop flipped 180 and re-oriented to "center"

NCVE_Long_Island smoke attached to stack

NPPQ_ "dead" #2 prop properly linked with sim file

Submarine
----------
NSS_Cachalot AO Mapping fixed, including cables

NSS_S18 water streams fixed

Textures
---------
TNormal and TLowRes files changed for NSS_Cachalot

UPCCampaignData
----------------
Flotillas.upc file edited for better dating of Java Sea assignments, in addition to altering the CaviteCommand Bases and Salmon assignments that were mis-numbered.

PatrolObjectives.cfg several files with further date restrictions and / or alteration

UPCUnitsData
-------------
Typos in UnitParts1Gato corrected, missing "hat" designations edited.

Typos in UnitParts9Argonaut corrected, missing "hat" designations edited.

Still to fix: Porpoise cabling

Additional Changes In the Nippon verion:
=======================================

Campaign folder
---------
Edits exclusive to naming conventions in Nippon Maru mod for Ship calls in the "Battle" files

Extras folders:
==============
Edits made to the following for FotRSU conformity:
304_NoJapaneseAirRadar, 802_TMO_torp_tex_FotRSU, 803_NoPlayerSubFlags, 805_CWC_FIOQ, 805_CWC_FotRSU, and 806_PeriscopeSplash. Note: CWC = Cold Weather Clothing, with the "FICQ" version for Fleetboat Interiors - Officer's Quarters, and "FotRSU" for FotRSU without the Interiors, whether Nippon Maru or Nihon Kaigun are activated or not.

All edits either propbeanie, s7rikeback or vickers03 (alphabetically)

-End-
If you have any issues or questions, just kindly holler and we'll attempt to accomodate.
A bit confused with the installation readme. Is this patch a separate mod that would be managed by jsgme mod manager ? Or just put the data files into rising sun base data folder?
Danny
Old 01-15-22, 06:23 PM   #4270
propbeanie

Quote:
Yeah, captain, I used to be sh3 Gmx or gfo user, I forgot. Anyway, Mine is steam sh4 located in steam directory, win7 , 1060 display card. The Original sh4 works fine. Now I’m using rising sun 1.7 mod by following the instructions and by that mod manager “jsgme”, I forgot the name. And changed the files’ attributeS. I also installed the 1.7 patch, the patch has data and extra folder. I just pulled the data files into 1.7 data folder. That is what all I’ve done . Don’t know how to install this patch.
IS this enough? I went for any mission , it was loaded then showed “no mission too difficult” and quit to the Windows desktop suddenly .

Danny
Just to verify then, the install path, it sounds like you have it inside the Steam folder on the C: drive, which puts it inside the "Program Files" folder. That could well be part of the trouble. The easiest way for me to describe moving a Steam game would be to point you at the Steam Knowledgebase article "Moving a Steam Installation and Games". Windows does not like JSGME or SH4, due to their "pre-Vista" programming interface. Any "ini" or "cfg" file changes Windows sees in a Program Files folder is considered tantamount to an invasion, and the files are then rolled back to a previous condition. Member kacpro090 did a write-up on getting around the Steam Library restriction of "one drive, one library" with his posting Preparing SH4 for modifications, where he "fakes" steam into putting the new Library on the hard drive, after doing it partially on a thumb (USB) drive. I have not tried that myself as of yet, but we will try to verify what he did.

Another issue is the "proper" setting of the LAA app on the SH4.exe file. Navigate into the game folder, and select the "SH4.exe" file. Then right-click the file, and choose the "Properties" item from the context menu with a left-click. The dialog it opens will be on the "General" tab. First, make certain that the "Read-only" attribute toward the bottom of that page is "cleared", with no check mark in it. Then go to the "Compatability" tab, and use this as a reference:

The little window on top is what you get after clicking the "Change high DPI settings" button. That is almost always needed, as is the "Disable fullscreen optimizations" tick box. The others generally have to be experimented with. Once you have all of that checked out, try to run LAA or the 4Gig Patch again, and make certain it is "set" on the SH4.exe. If it is not, then the game usually will not enter the 3D world. If it does, it crashes rather easily. This is due to Windows restricting old 32-bit apps to a small sandbox. Using an LAA on the SH4.exe shows Windows that the program can address more RAM.

In the meantime, you can also run into issues with the video stream itself. Your display monitor has what is called its "native" resolution, which is the dpi it was built with. Windows will refer to that as "... (recommended)" in the display resolution settings dialog. Set SH4 to that resolution also, such that they all match. If you cannot find a matching high resolution setting to match the display, then use a multiple of it, such as 1920x1080 for 3840x2160, if that isn't listed (it probably is though). After that, it is a matter of matching those SH4.exe file's Properties settings (above) to function correctly.

Again, look at the "Spoiler" texts in the first posting in this thread, and also on the Download page for the mod, or in the Support folder for any one of a number of pdf files for more detailed information.

Old 01-15-22, 06:27 PM   #4271
propbeanie

Quote:
A bit confused with the installation readme. Is this patch a separate mod that would be managed by jsgme mod manager ? Or just put the data files into rising sun base data folder?
Danny
The patch download is a package. You un-zip it, and choose the patch based upon what you are running as add-in mods. If you use Nippon Maru on top of FotRSU, then you choose that patch. Else you choose the "normal" FotRSU patch. Drag that into the MODS folder, and you can activate it with JSGME, and all the pieces (in theory) will fall into place... maybe...

Old 01-15-22, 10:49 PM   #4272
dannz
Swabbie

1) my steam folder is f:/steamlibrary/xxxxxx , not /programfile/ instead

2) as for LAA, already done that.

3) sh4.exe yeah, already set it to XP SP3 compatible and disable high DPI optimization

4) the resolution is 1920X1080X60Hz

no worries , Captain! I'm gonna try it out again now by following your instructions. and get back to you the result.

------------------
but the way, I found my topeados most likely missed the targets when they were set to magnetic detonated. I tried using draft height - 2.5~3.5 meters
dont know if the "rising sun" Mod fixed it / the depth of the topeados?
always missed , feel pretty frustrated.
------------------

thanks
Danny

Quote:
Just to verify then, the install path, it sounds like you have it inside the Steam folder on the C: drive, which puts it inside the "Program Files" folder. That could well be part of the trouble. The easiest way for me to describe moving a Steam game would be to point you at the Steam Knowledgebase article "Moving a Steam Installation and Games". Windows does not like JSGME or SH4, due to their "pre-Vista" programming interface. Any "ini" or "cfg" file changes Windows sees in a Program Files folder is considered tantamount to an invasion, and the files are then rolled back to a previous condition. Member kacpro090 did a write-up on getting around the Steam Library restriction of "one drive, one library" with his posting Preparing SH4 for modifications, where he "fakes" steam into putting the new Library on the hard drive, after doing it partially on a thumb (USB) drive. I have not tried that myself as of yet, but we will try to verify what he did.

Another issue is the "proper" setting of the LAA app on the SH4.exe file. Navigate into the game folder, and select the "SH4.exe" file. Then right-click the file, and choose the "Properties" item from the context menu with a left-click. The dialog it opens will be on the "General" tab. First, make certain that the "Read-only" attribute toward the bottom of that page is "cleared", with no check mark in it. Then go to the "Compatability" tab, and use this as a reference:

The little window on top is what you get after clicking the "Change high DPI settings" button. That is almost always needed, as is the "Disable fullscreen optimizations" tick box. The others generally have to be experimented with. Once you have all of that checked out, try to run LAA or the 4Gig Patch again, and make certain it is "set" on the SH4.exe. If it is not, then the game usually will not enter the 3D world. If it does, it crashes rather easily. This is due to Windows restricting old 32-bit apps to a small sandbox. Using an LAA on the SH4.exe shows Windows that the program can address more RAM.

In the meantime, you can also run into issues with the video stream itself. Your display monitor has what is called its "native" resolution, which is the dpi it was built with. Windows will refer to that as "... (recommended)" in the display resolution settings dialog. Set SH4 to that resolution also, such that they all match. If you cannot find a matching high resolution setting to match the display, then use a multiple of it, such as 1920x1080 for 3840x2160, if that isn't listed (it probably is though). After that, it is a matter of matching those SH4.exe file's Properties settings (above) to function correctly.

Again, look at the "Spoiler" texts in the first posting in this thread, and also on the Download page for the mod, or in the Support folder for any one of a number of pdf files for more detailed information.
Old 01-16-22, 12:05 AM   #4273
propbeanie

Quote:
1) my steam folder is f:/steamlibrary/xxxxxx , not /programfile/ instead

2) as for LAA, already done that.

3) sh4.exe yeah, already set it to XP SP3 compatible and disable high DPI optimization

4) the resolution is 1920X1080X60Hz

no worries , Captain! I'm gonna try it out again now by following your instructions. and get back to you the result.

------------------
but the way, I found my topeados most likely missed the targets when they were set to magnetic detonated. I tried using draft height - 2.5~3.5 meters
dont know if the "rising sun" Mod fixed it / the depth of the topeados?
always missed , feel pretty frustrated.
------------------

thanks
Danny
your #1 is great, but run LAA again for #2, and make certain that the tick box is set for SH4.exe file. #3 fantastic. #4 fantastic.

Your torpedoes might be "dudding". The game has two sets of Options. The one set on the main menu is for the Single Missions, Quick Patrols, and Multi-player options. The other set is once you start a career, and are in the Captain's Office on-base, click on the wood radio console to the left on the cabinets, and there is another set there for the career mode. Under the gameplay settings, you might have the game set to use the "duds", and if so, when you shoot, the torpedoes have a very high chance of running deep and / or prematuring, and / or not detonating upon impact or going under a target. The German and US submarine crews had to deal with the same situation because their respective bureaus of ordnance did not believe the dud reports, blaming the crews on not shooting straight.

If you are still having issue and I failed to mention it, be sure you empty the Save folder (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4 - or use the File Manager "Quick Access" short-cut), and delete the "cfg" folder below the SH4 folder. That will clear all your user settings though, and you lose all progress you have made in the game thus far. The game gets most of its information from that Save folder, but at the same time, if something already exists in that folder, it does not pull in the new information from the game folder... oh well. Old game.

Old 01-16-22, 03:27 AM   #4274
dannz
Swabbie

thank u so much, Captain. did LAA again might work. I finally made it. it works now. what a pretty good UI is , similar to SH3 GMX.
an old game never gets old. haha

Danny
Old 01-16-22, 11:33 AM   #4275
propbeanie

Excellent, glad you're going, and no, the game never grows old... sort of a Peter Pan syndrome... us, however... lol

As a little side note to everyone, we are in the process of testing another v1.7 for potential release to dress-up the sonar and other issues found. We are attempting to test the Cavite start that ends up in Albany Australia, but have to stay alive long enough to see the flotilla run its course... not easy when you're in a hurry...