SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-05-21, 11:40 AM   #3616
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
What you have there KM is the MapLocation, not the airbase itself.

Corrections have been made though, to prevent that MapLocation icon from showing until the effective date of 19450316. Thanks
so, an airbase has to have a map location?
placing a an air base (or any other physical thing) on the Nav Map is not sufficient, there has to be a Map Location defined before you can place the physical thing on the map?

that's a bit of overengineering...especially from a design team that has ZERO error handling/correction.

ok, ok, vent over. it's not your fault. thanks for checking on it.

and BTW i have no intention of being in a position to have to go down with my ship.
i have a classmate who is the Squadron Operations Officer. we will not be assigned our next patrol until after Operation Detachment is well underway. we are going to fly to Hawaii for Christmas and the New Year while the relief crew performs some maintenance. After the first, when we return, we will dick-around in the area around Saipan testing the new gizmos that are installed and then probably shove off the third or fourth week of February.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 03:45 PM   #3617
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Whoops!
If you follow Mios4Me's post link back in the quote above, you will find flaminus's post above with the color graphics about changing the "CrewMemberSlot 1" to 2 for the 2nd position... but make certain you have the correct section for the AA guns, and NOT the deck gun...
Captains, the problem was that I could not recognize the file entries in my Save files compared to the correction texts provided in the forum.

I had to go back to a brand new Balao before any changes, add the single 40mm AA guns, and then save. This gave me a simple save file where I could recognize the four sets of entries, two for each gun, that allowed me to see the relationships (Leader and Crewman) and make the corrections to the Crewman sets only.

Solution was to delete the phrase “AdditionalRepository” and change the slot on that same line from “1” to “2”. Voila! Success.

Can’t thank you guys enough for taking your valuable time to help a fellow simmer in trouble. It’s part of what makes this Mod so special.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 03:56 PM   #3618
TitanicThomas
Swabbie

Downloads: 51

Quote:
There is no issue to fix. That is the way the game is. What you did wrong was to expect the game to be a true simulation. To do as you desire, the ship involved would have to be removed by the user with an additional mod. Each ship would have to have a mod to remove it. In addition, the Roster would have to be updated, which would involve an on-the-fly assembly. Oodles of complexity. Then there are the campaign files, with many thousands of entries. This will not be implemented in FotRSU. You'll have to learn to deal with it if you play FotRSU.

Nothing is simple with this... First of all, did you purchase the gun early for renown points? Under "normal" circumstances, they are not available until after 1st June 1944. Second, if you did purchase, had you previously moved the deck gun (which really should not be a factor, but I do still worry about that). Thirdly, the UnitParts3Balao.upc is the game file that holds the AA guns & crew positions in the Data / UPCData / UPCUnitsData folder, while once the game is running, will be in the Save folder, data / cfg / SaveGames / "NumberedFolder" / ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file, where "NumberedFolder" is the most recent folder - which you might have two of, with one for the Captain's Office and the other for either the arrival or departure, dependent upon where you were when you Saved. You want to look for "UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart.Compartment 2.CrewMemberSlot " (there is a "1" and "2" position) and "Compartment 3", which would be your Aft and Fore AA gun positions. You may or may not find that "AdditionalRepository" phrase in your file(s). Look in that "NewColetrainsAndOthersDGfix.pdf" file in the Support / HowTo folder for the deck gun example, which should be relatively similar.

It all depends upon where you installed the game. If the mod is activated without issue, then the place to check would be your use of LAA - or the failure of same. Open the Large Address Aware.exe file in the game's root folder and navigate in it to your SH4.exe file and make certain it is indeed activated. If it is not, and you had already run LAA on the file, then check the Windows Properties for the file and clear the "Read-only" attribute and run LAA again on the SH4.exe file. Consult the pdf files in the Support folder for all manner of instruction, or the first page of the thread here, or on the Download page for the same. In a nutshell:
1. The base SH4 game must be version 1.5 with the Uboat Missions. If you do not have a choice for a German career, you have the wrong version.
2. The game canNOT be in a Windows program file, and this includes a Steam install that was made to the "C\:Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter..." folder, since Windows will "kills" all attempts to mod. See Moving a Steam Installation and Games
3. LAA or some other applet that sets the header bits on the SH4.exe file to signify to the Windows OS that the SH4 app is capable of addressing more memory MUST be used.
4. You MUST empty the game Save folder prior to playing the modded game ("C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4")
5. The video stream should match from the display monitor's "Native" resolution to Windows "recommended" setting to the game's Options display settings for best video performance - you most likely will have to set some of the "Compatibility" settings on the SH4.exe Properties page also. See this in Silent Hunter 4 & Windows 10
If you have more troubles, post with more detail next time about your install.
Sorry if I had annoyed any of you with that post... Was just asking as I am not the most informed on the topic. I did not mean any disrespect to the mod I was just wondering if it was something I did wrong. Thank you for informing me.
TitanicThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 05:13 PM   #3619
DSK_Thomsen
Nub

Downloads: 170

Hello,

I´ve just installed FOTRSU 1.46 and it works well so far but i still have some doubts about installation. The installation note reads: it must NOT be installed inside a program files folder, including if you are using steam.
I´m actually a bit confused as i´m using the steam version, so does it mean that (a) i can install FOTRSU into the steam folder but the latter has to be outside any program files folder or that (b) i have to install the game outside the steam folder as well. Any advice?
DSK_Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 07:24 PM   #3620
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
so, an airbase has to have a map location?
placing a an air base (or any other physical thing) on the Nav Map is not sufficient, there has to be a Map Location defined before you can place the physical thing on the map?

that's a bit of overengineering...especially from a design team that has ZERO error handling/correction.

ok, ok, vent over. it's not your fault. thanks for checking on it.

and BTW i have no intention of being in a position to have to go down with my ship.
i have a classmate who is the Squadron Operations Officer. we will not be assigned our next patrol until after Operation Detachment is well underway. we are going to fly to Hawaii for Christmas and the New Year while the relief crew performs some maintenance. After the first, when we return, we will dick-around in the area around Saipan testing the new gizmos that are installed and then probably shove off the third or fourth week of February.
No, the MapLocation just denotes where the airbase is on the NavMap. It should be (SHOULD BE) placed inconjunction with an actual AirBase Unit. You can put a MapLocation on every island out there, but no operational airbase would ever be there. You need the Unit set to AirBase to have the airplanes spawn for patrolling (normal routine) or attacking (only on player or other "enemy" detection).

btw - All good commanders are ready to go down with the ship, if necessary - no matter the circumstances...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Captains, the problem was that I could not recognize the file entries in my Save files compared to the correction texts provided in the forum.

I had to go back to a brand new Balao before any changes, add the single 40mm AA guns, and then save. This gave me a simple save file where I could recognize the four sets of entries, two for each gun, that allowed me to see the relationships (Leader and Crewman) and make the corrections to the Crewman sets only.

Solution was to delete the phrase “AdditionalRepository” and change the slot on that same line from “1” to “2”. Voila! Success.

Can’t thank you guys enough for taking your valuable time to help a fellow simmer in trouble. It’s part of what makes this Mod so special.

The AA guns in the Save file can get rather long-winded, like a propbeanie posting, all too easily... - suffice to say, you need the "room" that holds the pieces of the sub, you need the slot in that room for the weapon or equipment, then you need the actual weapon or equipment for that slot, then the crew, clothing, etc for the weapon or room...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicThomas View Post
Sorry if I had annoyed any of you with that post... Was just asking as I am not the most informed on the topic. I did not mean any disrespect to the mod I was just wondering if it was something I did wrong. Thank you for informing me.
No annoyance, disrepect or insult - or anything of that sort - taken. Nothing "wrong", other than as stated, it is a game first, mod somewhere down the Ubisoft list... it is one of those games that could have been oh-so-much-more with just a bit more time and money spent on development and "incubation", but it is understandable, in that the product ~has~ to come out sometime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK_Thomsen View Post
Hello,

I´ve just installed FOTRSU 1.46 and it works well so far but i still have some doubts about installation. The installation note reads: it must NOT be installed inside a program files folder, including if you are using steam.
I´m actually a bit confused as i´m using the steam version, so does it mean that (a) i can install FOTRSU into the steam folder but the latter has to be outside any program files folder or that (b) i have to install the game outside the steam folder as well. Any advice?
Steam defaults to installing itself and it's "Library Folder" on the C:\ drive in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\ Steam" folder. On most computers, this is a problem, but it does depend upon your computer configuration. Most folks will find it necessary to either use a Library Folder on a 2nd hard drive, or to move the Library folder on the "C" drive to another location. It all depends upon your computer. Refer to Moving a Steam Installation and Games for that info. You should have a "splash" screen like the one to the left of the nutty squirrel in my signature below this. On the opening menu, you should see actual WW2 (and immediately thereafter) film playing behind the menu. If you see the "Stock" faces, then you do not have a full activation. If you look on the opening menu, and choose "Fleet Boat Campaign" (you should not have "American Career" any longer). If you click on the "Campaign" date, and scroll to the bottom of the list, you should see a choice for "Dec 7, 1941" with a "Midway" and "Wake" "Simulated War Patrol", which starts early AM on December 7, 1941 as the IJN is launching their attack. If you don't have all of that, your activation is incomplete. Look in the mod folder, find the Support folder, and the files "Install Notes For the Various Versions of SH4 in Windows.pdf" and "ActivatingFOTRSU.pdf" files for much more (maybe too much) detail... If you have more questions though, don't hesitate to ask.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 07:32 PM   #3621
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

btw - All good commanders are ready to go down with the ship, if necessary - no matter the circumstances...
i don't believe in a no-win scenario.

LAA enabled
Old 07-06-21, 07:49 PM   #3622
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i don't believe in a no-win scenario.
Enough agressive.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 09:30 PM   #3623
Pnzrldr
Watch

Downloads: 29
Default Quick Dumb Question - How to End Patrol?

FOTRSU only (no other mods loaded) first patrol, early 42 campaign. Returning from patrol when Suribaya was 'untenable' so I thought that meant go to Fremantle. I did. It said 'rearm/refuel' but the 'end patrol' is grayed out. So, I sail away figuring it wants me to go to untenable Suribaya. 100nm out of port, radio message comes in, "All boats now use Fremantle as base of ops". Yeah, I turn around (I have hull damage, plus want to bank renown). Still have 'end patrol' grayed out on the options. Thoughts?
Pnzrldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 11:35 PM   #3624
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

When reporting trouble, we need to know what boat you are sailing, where you sailed from, and what the date is that you are having the issue - at a minimum. Is there a base with a "fouled" anchor? ie: leaning to the side with a rope wrapped around it? All other anchors will be "upright". Had you emptied the Save folder before playing the mod? Do you have LAA properly applied?

Be aware first of all that you will receive radio messages while on the boat concerning the bases, so it is best to keep up with those, especially during the 1st 5 months of the game. But also be aware that like with Cavite closing on the 10th and Manila on the 14th, Surabaya doesn't "open" until late on the 15th of December. It then is closed on the 27th February and Fremantle open late on the 28th, so you might see a 24 hour-plus time period where you do not have an active "home port", just due to the way the game works. Mariveles, Balikpapen and Tilatjap are "bases" you can stop and fuel at until they are also untenable and destroyed.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 05:46 PM   #3625
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnzrldr View Post
FOTRSU only (no other mods loaded) first patrol, early 42 campaign. Returning from patrol when Suribaya was 'untenable' so I thought that meant go to Fremantle. I did. It said 'rearm/refuel' but the 'end patrol' is grayed out. So, I sail away figuring it wants me to go to untenable Suribaya. 100nm out of port, radio message comes in, "All boats now use Fremantle as base of ops". Yeah, I turn around (I have hull damage, plus want to bank renown). Still have 'end patrol' grayed out on the options. Thoughts?
i echo what PB posted.

addendum: sometimes you have to park outside the new home base and wait for the game to activate it. it should take more than a day or so.

in your example, since you received the Fremantle message, you should sail to Fremantle and wait for the anchor to activate as a base (fouled anchor).
rest assured that you are safer there than any other spot on the map.

now that you know what to expect.

LAA enabled
Old 07-08-21, 04:20 AM   #3626
TorBra79
Nub

Downloads: 28

Hi Guys,

I just installed the Mod via JSGME.
I read the installation instructions and followed them.
SH4 is starting, US Campaign starts fine but I'm sure it's a vanilla SH4.

In the Playing_FotRSU.pdf ist says:
Quote:
8 Dec 1941 – this date coincides mainly with the starts from the Manila Bay area
Pearl Harbor – Porpoise, Tambor, Gar boats
Manila (Asiatic Fleet) – S-18 Class, Porpoise, Salmon, Sargo (they all transfer to Surabaya)
San Francisco (Treasure Island) – Gar (transfers to Pearl)
Note that Midway has been “removed” for “historical” purposes, but is still in the menu file for those that want to
mod their mod
but I can't choose San Francisco for example and the start date is the 9th of December like in the vanilla campaign...

Maybe I just need a pointer to where my error was?
TorBra79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 08:17 AM   #3627
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorBra79 View Post
Hi Guys,

I just installed the Mod via JSGME.
I read the installation instructions and followed them.
SH4 is starting, US Campaign starts fine but I'm sure it's a vanilla SH4.

In the Playing_FotRSU.pdf ist says:

but I can't choose San Francisco for example and the start date is the 9th of December like in the vanilla campaign...

Maybe I just need a pointer to where my error was?
ahoy torbra,

not sure that you have made an error.
if you select the Starting Date of 8 Dec, and then Select Treasure Island, a Gar is the only boat available and you should be good to start.
Good Luck!

LAA enabled
Old 07-08-21, 08:52 AM   #3628
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Default Minor glitch

USS Balao, ex-Fremantle, 6/19/44, west of Saipan, encountered a certain TF consisting of 2x Hiyo, a CVL, Nagato, and escorts. Despite a full loadout of torpedoes and fuel, we were directed away from it instead of being ordered to attack. Admiral Spruance got his contact report at least.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 09:05 AM   #3629
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
USS Balao, ex-Fremantle, 6/19/44, west of Saipan, encountered a certain TF consisting of 2x Hiyo, a CVL, Nagato, and escorts. Despite a full loadout of torpedoes and fuel, we were directed away from it instead of being ordered to attack. Admiral Spruance got his contact report at least.
lol.

that report does not mean you shouldn't attack.
it only means that you will not get a few additional points for a new "objective".
go sink some ships!!!!

LAA enabled
Old 07-08-21, 09:54 AM   #3630
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Not one to disobey orders, but we *were* attacked as we...attempted...to leave the area.

This led to the greatest salvo of my career when we upped scope in the middle of the TF, fired four torpedoes, and scored eight hits. The DDs threw all caution to the wind, firing torpedoes that missed us but hit one DD, one CV, and the Nagato twice. Despite the Type 93's fearsome reputation, not a single ship sank however.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote