SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-21, 10:21 AM   #2911
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...12#post2379712

... just don't tell razark...

Of course, Enquiring Minds Want To Know!!!
inquiring minds, also.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-21, 11:01 AM   #2912
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comder View Post
Good Day Gentlemen,
torpedobait, what sub were you in? I have only come a crossed it in the Typhoon class. I am glad she is still out there. I have been wondering what may trigger The Ghost ship. Thank you for the info.

Comder
USS Searaven (SS-196) Sargo Class out of Manila. I've also seen it in TMO north of Midway, plus a few other places and times I can't recall.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-21, 12:55 PM   #2913
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
inquiring minds, also.
Now... it's "Enquirer - for one thing, that is proper King's English, for another:

Just ask razark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
USS Searaven (SS-196) Sargo Class out of Manila. I've also seen it in TMO north of Midway, plus a few other places and times I can't recall.
I don't remember if it's Ducimus or who, but someone had it peppered throughout the world. In Stock and FotRSU, it's only in the Luzon Straits, and it is turned down. However, we do have a "new" model of it, and the guns might actually function once again... more "testing" yet to do, but we are in the last few Flotillas, and a couple of "skinning" issues to straighten out yet... I'd like to get Blackbeard sailing in the Caribbean eventually... - (notice the hat??)

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-21, 04:26 PM   #2914
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Now... it's "Enquirer - for one thing, that is proper King's English, for another:
last time i checked the Midwest was still part of the U.S. of A.

LAA enabled
Old 03-20-21, 06:46 PM   #2915
propbeanie

Refering to the vid, the 20 second mark on... We probably should have done pictures to begin with... lol - and they do tend to "hide" their rag's name...

Not an endorsement of an actual product. User is cautioned against clicking anywhere on the page, lest The Men In Black put the user on their "host" list. Availability varies by location... ahem...

Old 03-21-21, 10:29 AM   #2916
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Refering to the vid, the 20 second mark on... We probably should have done pictures to begin with... lol - and they do tend to "hide" their rag's name...

Not an endorsement of an actual product. User is cautioned against clicking anywhere on the page, lest The Men In Black put the user on their "host" list. Availability varies by location... ahem...
You should probably consider taking that clip out of the post before you are banned because some (including me) consider having to see Kim's 25 lbs of butt filler to be grossly obscene.

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 03-21-21 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-21-21, 10:45 AM   #2917
propbeanie

the whole page is obscene!!! But if the Men in Black use it for intel, anybody can!

Old 03-21-21, 01:43 PM   #2918
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

For another worthy piece of journalism, google "Statue of Elvis found on Mars".

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-21, 03:17 PM   #2919
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
For another worthy piece of journalism, google "Statue of Elvis found on Mars".

-C
well, duh...of course.
Elvis did NOT die....he just went home.

LAA enabled
Old 03-21-21, 06:39 PM   #2920
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: CTD & aircraft appearance...

Ok, believe I just joined the rank of others who noted a plane report & it showing on the map with the radar... & right afterwards, experiencing a CTD...

Just had that occur today, about a 1/2 hour or so ago.. spent a bit right after having it happen, checking the forum threads.. & now.. posting about it.

Am after I post this.. am going to reload, get some basic info on the area, where this happened for Me.

Would on what the plane was.. but as I was moving the mouse pointer to see just what the plane was.. if it was a solo or a duo... next I knew, I was staring at the desktop... wondering just what the #&@! had happened...

Soon as I get back in, am going to take a screen shot of the location I was at.. as near as I can...

M. M.

Old 03-21-21, 07:24 PM   #2921
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: CTD & aircraft appearance... part Deux ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ok, believe I just joined the rank of others who noted a plane report & it showing on the map with the radar... & right afterwards, experiencing a CTD...

Just had that occur today, about a 1/2 hour or so ago.. spent a bit right after having it happen, checking the forum threads.. & now.. posting about it.

Am after I post this.. am going to reload, get some basic info on the area, where this happened for Me.

Would on what the plane was.. but as I was moving the mouse pointer to see just what the plane was.. if it was a solo or a duo... next I knew, I was staring at the desktop... wondering just what the #&@! had happened...

Soon as I get back in, am going to take a screen shot of the location I was at.. as near as I can...

M. M.

Ok, Had just cleared the 2 isles, off on the NW quad in the pic (same quad in the orange encircled area).

Sometime right after clearing them... got a shout out of aircraft spotted, via radar. Was already in Nav map, so I went to click on it to get general info, so as to determine.. do I stay riding the surface or do I need to order crash dive...

As can be seen on the map.. area was safe to do a crash dive, if it was needed to be ordered.

Long, short of it... right after I went to move the cursor to get that info... BOOM... Desktopville CTD, here I am... so can't even try to say of what aircraft it was...

Just that it happened & a rough approx, as to the location. Do know there are a couple of air bases near that area... 1 up near Rabal, another one off west of that area...

Any who.. is all the info I can readily provide. Hopefully it is enough...

M. M.

post edit:

Thought I had that added, when I initially posted this reply...

Corrected,

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 03-22-21 at 03:26 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-21, 09:16 AM   #2922
propbeanie

Well, MM, if you had a screen grab, I don't see it, but we did find issues with at least a couple of Japanese airplanes, as well as US zoomies, which have since been corrected. The trouble with tracking down airplane issues is that they are generally automatically generated by the game under unknown circumstances (other than AirStrike.cfg and automatic random generation at "AirBases"). So, patrol planes patrol for the most part, sometimes attacking, but even if they don't attacl. they "fone home" and call in the fighter / bombers to come get you. Flying directly to your location is a matter of "chance" (random number seed), but they will eventually cross your path by flying a "grid search pattern". Once they do, they will continue to come at you until you are no longer "seen" by them after a certain (top-secret) amount of time. Another thing of note is that the submarine can only go so fast and cover so much territory in a given span of time, even at flank on the surface, as compared to what an airplane can cover, so you are usually actually rather easy to find. Draw a circular bullseye on the map of roughly 24nm, and you'll be somewhere in that circle for the next hour at least...

Of note for the next release, and this co-incides with the missing Japanese radar on some of the planes (as well as other issues), is night attacks. We have read in a lot of online articles and books purchased and borrowed, of especially Japanese float planes, "bird-dogging" a task force or single surface ships at night by moonlight, and sometimes even attacking at night. This will be in the next version of FotRSU, so just be ready for the occasional night attack. You are generally safe at night all of the way through a career in v1.39 and previous iterations. Not anymore - but we will need feedback on this aspect of the game when you all get your mitts on it. Speaking of which, the testing of all CareerStarts is complete, still working on a couple of ship texture issues, one of which has devolved into having to re-construct the entire ship. We are also re-doing some of the text files in the Support folder, and tidying things up a bit yet, but we are much closer, and much more stable than before (famous last words)...

Old 03-22-21, 10:43 AM   #2923
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Quote:
Of note for the next release, and this co-incides with the missing Japanese radar on some of the planes (as well as other issues), is night attacks. We have read in a lot of online articles and books purchased and borrowed, of especially Japanese float planes, "bird-dogging" a task force or single surface ships at night by moonlight, and sometimes even attacking at night. This will be in the next version of FotRSU, so just be ready for the occasional night attack. You are generally safe at night all of the way through a career in v1.39 and previous iterations. Not anymore - but we will need feedback on this aspect of the game when you all get your mitts on it. Speaking of which, the testing of all CareerStarts is complete, still working on a couple of ship texture issues, one of which has devolved into having to re-construct the entire ship. We are also re-doing some of the text files in the Support folder, and tidying things up a bit yet, but we are much closer, and much more stable than before (famous last words)...
I can give you some feedback on night attack planes before you even implement them Mr beanie, I would hold off on them for another couple of versions until you've fixed any issues that are still pending and any others you might have inadvertently caused by your incessant desire to fiddle while Rome burns. (just some funny brit sarcasm Mr beanie)

That's just my two penneth Mr beanie, not that anyone takes any bleeding notice of anything I have to say around here, so go on then and bring them in, just don't expect a bleeding round of applause when unexpected CTD's are still occurring when players are expecting you to have finally fixed those issues. It takes long enough to get to these mission co-ordinates as it is without having to navigate an ocean of "Oh bloody hell not again" scenarios like some players have been experiencing.

Thankfully I never had a CTD in my last 1.39 campaign so I don't know how prevalent they are.
Old 03-22-21, 11:30 AM   #2924
propbeanie

Well, the night attack has always been there. It's just that the airplanes that were supposed to be carrying radar had a configuration issue, which was also a contributor to some of the CTDs. Usually, the CTDs while playing are from an overload of the game system and its "throughput" as it tries to resolve not finding an "asset" or parts of an asset, such as the radar. Same with the ships. This is why, when you encounter a ship that was not moving when it was supposed to, that you would see "stuttering" in the game, like something was trying to spawn - which it was, but the game couldn't find the part(s). Airplanes are more resource intensive, so it takes less of them to overload the system. This is NOT the computer system, because you can have "muscle" beyond the horizon with all of the latest/greatest in 'modern' computer gear, and this game will still mange to crash from this. Rather, it is the game's 32-bit engine that overloads. Sometimes, it is rather amazing that it runs when it does, with some of the abuse we give it...

We did manage to find a(nother) possible link to CTDs as a mission goes to load when you click on the wall map in the Captain's Office, but we are not 100% certain of that yet, and finding all of the possible permutations among 519 mission sets, 273 DynamicMiss calls, 475 PatrolObjectives calls, as well as the 1068 Flotillas calls is a bit daunting to say the least for part-time "employees" (two, count 'em = T-U-E) working for the love of fiddling. Some of the issues are in the stock game, as well as other mods, and we are fortunate to have people such as yourself helping us find them all. Sometimes it's one step forward, and two back, but we do strive for 3 steps forward...

Old 03-22-21, 03:28 PM   #2925
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Well, MM, if you had a screen grab, I don't see it, but we did find issues with at least a couple of Japanese airplanes, as well as US zoomies, which have since been corrected. The trouble with tracking down airplane issues is that they are generally automatically generated by the game under unknown circumstances (other than AirStrike.cfg and automatic random generation at "AirBases"). So, patrol planes patrol for the most part, sometimes attacking, but even if they don't attacl. they "fone home" and call in the fighter / bombers to come get you. Flying directly to your location is a matter of "chance" (random number seed), but they will eventually cross your path by flying a "grid search pattern". Once they do, they will continue to come at you until you are no longer "seen" by them after a certain (top-secret) amount of time. Another thing of note is that the submarine can only go so fast and cover so much territory in a given span of time, even at flank on the surface, as compared to what an airplane can cover, so you are usually actually rather easy to find. Draw a circular bullseye on the map of roughly 24nm, and you'll be somewhere in that circle for the next hour at least...

Corrected... got in sort of a hurry & forgot to double check, before I posted... been.. a bit under the weather, of late.. feeling, ugh..

I have since reported Myself for dereliction of duty...

M. M.