SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-15-10, 04:42 PM   #1
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 226
Uploads: 2
Default Something Odd

I have discovered something odd with Silent Hunter IV. The sailors are wearing USMC beltbuckles. They are wearing belt buckles with United States Marine Corps inscribed on it when they should be US Navy. No US Marines ever operated on a submarine. Not once. Not ever. Marines are ONLY posted to surface warships only, not submarines. This struck me as being rather odd and strange to see United States Marine Corps inscribed on a sailor's belt buckle when there are no USMC personnel ever allowed on subs. Subs are Navy only.

Patchman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 05:40 PM   #2
rein1705
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 0

not entirely true : Nautilus departed Hawaiian waters for her second war patrol, a special troop transport mission of three weeks duration, 8 August. Sailing with submarine Argonaut and carrying the Second Raider Battalion under Lieutenant Colonel Evans F. Carlson (the Marine Raiders, or "Carlson's Raiders") she arrived off Makin Atoll on 16 August to stage a raid to divert Japanese attention from the Solomon Islands.

But anyway i too noticed that they wore USMC belt buckles but never really computed how strange that was... Possibly they swiped them from Marine stores while at port for souvineers lol

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
rein1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 05:43 PM   #3
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein1705 View Post
not entirely true : Nautilus departed Hawaiian waters for her second war patrol, a special troop transport mission of three weeks duration, 8 August. Sailing with submarine Argonaut and carrying the Second Raider Battalion under Lieutenant Colonel Evans F. Carlson (the Marine Raiders, or "Carlson's Raiders") she arrived off Makin Atoll on 16 August to stage a raid to divert Japanese attention from the Solomon Islands.

But anyway i too noticed that they wore USMC belt buckles but never really computed how strange that was... Possibly they swiped them from Marine stores while at port for souvineers lol
Maybe, but I wasn't talking about Marine Raiders or passengers like that, I was talking about the regular crew of the submarine.
Old 07-15-10, 05:46 PM   #4
rein1705
Samurai Navy

well hahah maybe our men took them from port and there's a lot of marines out there somewhere wondering what hapend to all there belt buckles as we sail away into the sunset laughing about our prank.

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
Old 07-15-10, 05:50 PM   #5
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein1705 View Post
well hahah maybe our men took them from port and there's a lot of marines out there somewhere wondering what hapend to all there belt buckles as we sail away into the sunset laughing about our prank.
Maybe, Maybe. This whole thing was a prank to fool me? Why? I like historical accuracy and we shouldn't play around with accuracy like that as a prank, we might hurt somebody or the feelings of someone else or the historical accuracy of the game, or essence of the game, or some vet.
Old 07-15-10, 05:56 PM   #6
rein1705
Samurai Navy

Indeed, i was just being a tad sarcastic. The buckles are the same even in the stock SH4 1.5 so it's something the creators modeled into the game, but for what purpose i have no idea. maybe there is some significance to the crew wareing the Marine Corps belts that we do not know, a piece of history UBI thought to put into the game... or it was just one of the many mistakes UBI's made...

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
Old 07-15-10, 06:16 PM   #7
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Modders to the rescue

This issue was noticed and fixed by more than one modder. The larger mod sets have this and many other little issues fixed.
Old 07-15-10, 07:32 PM   #8
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond6751 View Post
This issue was noticed and fixed by more than one modder. The larger mod sets have this and many other little issues fixed.
I noticed the error while playing We Dive at Dawn mod. I don't know why they haven't rectified it.
USMC is not a British service.
Old 07-15-10, 07:40 PM   #9
TabbyHunter
Ensign

Downloads: 52

I dont mean to be mean, but patchman, this is your 3rd or fourth topic complaining about minor details. I mean, who stairs at a mans lower regions looking for minor graphical flaws in the game?
TabbyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 07:53 PM   #10
Raven79
A-ganger

Downloads: 7

Indeed, Tabby..

Ray; some, yet not all. FOTRS doesn't fix it for being not worthy of work. Most of the crew sits in darker corners anyway so you won't notice, so what the heck.

.o(Should I mention that we usually are on U.S. fleet boats in this game, not the British Navy, or not?)
Raven79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 08:18 PM   #11
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyHunter View Post
I dont mean to be mean, but patchman, this is your 3rd or fourth topic complaining about minor details. I mean, who stairs at a mans lower regions looking for minor graphical flaws in the game?
What? Are you accusing me of being a pervert? This is not about being a pervert. This is about being accurate. There is nothing perverse here anyway, I just noticed it while looking around in the game.
Old 07-15-10, 08:49 PM   #12
Raven79
A-ganger

Downloads: 7

*sits down speechless and begins making a 'do not feed' sign to hang around someone's neck*
Raven79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 09:07 PM   #13
TabbyHunter
Ensign

Downloads: 52

No, i did not mean to accuse you of being a pervert. No, i was implieing your tendancy to nitpick majorly minor details that the major part of the gaming community would ever notice., and then, even less then those that did see, would even know was wrong.
TabbyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 09:10 PM   #14
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

The only reason for this blunder that I can think of comes down to languages. The Romanian word for navy is marina, which as you can see is close to marine.

There's bigger issues that SH4 has that never got fixed, a belt buckle can be redone by a modder.

And for what it's worth, I'm a sub vet and am not offended personally.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 09:21 PM   #15
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyHunter View Post
No, i did not mean to accuse you of being a pervert. No, i was implieing your tendancy to nitpick majorly minor details that the major part of the gaming community would ever notice., and then, even less then those that did see, would even know was wrong.
Nitpick over minor details, we do it all the time. I like finding the minor details that no one notices because it's fun and it points out errors that could be fixed by other modders and game people. It's fun because it helps the game to be more accurate in my opinion and it helps to be observant as well.

I like being observant. What's wrong with that?

Tags
belt, navy, nitpicky, usmc