SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-15-10, 09:33 PM   #16
TabbyHunter
Ensign

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0

Indeed, being observent is good. But some people hate nitpickers, and while i dont /hate/ nitpickers...they do annoy me. Bust someone said it has been fixed before, so, whatever.
TabbyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 09:46 PM   #17
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman123 View Post
I like finding the minor details that no one notices because it's fun and it points out errors that could be fixed by other modders ...

I guarantee you, nobody spends more time looking at the details of this game then anyone working on or producing a mod for it. The same holds true for SH3 and SH5. Many of these details, are not visual either, but learned after A LOT of trial and error testing, along with observing patterns of behavior within the game.

I can also tell you, that there are few details that have escaped notice. Just because they were not addressed in a mod doesn't mean they were not noticed. What it does mean, is that other details rated higher on the priority list, and therego what time there was available, was put to that detail instead. (Trick question: If a modder only has 3 hours to work per day, where would you rather him spend his time, fixing submarine mechanics and/or AI behavior, or fixing texture files for belt buckles?) Hence creating threads for the sole purpose of pointing out the frivolous and obvious, will only makes eyes roll.

edit:
Furthermore, if the USMC belt buckles on US navy personnel are that irritating, either D/L one of the many mods that fixed it, if not there's always this:

http://www.gimp.org/

Just as good as photoshop, and it's free.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 09:55 PM   #18
rein1705
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 541

I love FOTRS !

Anywho, so there's no historic reference to the buckle? its just a blunder?
I dont mind this little detail at all, and never put more thought than: As i look around the bridge and notice the belt my watchman has on,which is eye level in a Gar or Gato, and say to myself "how'd u end up with that?"

I like that he did point it out though as i thought i must be crazy, "that can't be a Marine Corp buckle he has on can it?"

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
rein1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 11:13 PM   #19
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 226
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
I guarantee you, nobody spends more time looking at the details of this game then anyone working on or producing a mod for it. The same holds true for SH3 and SH5. Many of these details, are not visual either, but learned after A LOT of trial and error testing, along with observing patterns of behavior within the game.

I can also tell you, that there are few details that have escaped notice. Just because they were not addressed in a mod doesn't mean they were not noticed. What it does mean, is that other details rated higher on the priority list, and therego what time there was available, was put to that detail instead. (Trick question: If a modder only has 3 hours to work per day, where would you rather him spend his time, fixing submarine mechanics and/or AI behavior, or fixing texture files for belt buckles?) Hence creating threads for the sole purpose of pointing out the frivolous and obvious, will only makes eyes roll.

edit:
Furthermore, if the USMC belt buckles on US navy personnel are that irritating, either D/L one of the many mods that fixed it, if not there's always this:

http://www.gimp.org/

Just as good as photoshop, and it's free.

How about changing the feed patterns for the Bofors 40mm, where the clip actually feeds into the chamber and actually empties. Did anyone notice that? It looks as though the Bofors 40mm is still stuck in the chamber, even though 4 rounds are expended. The Bofors sound is the same as the Oerlikon 20mm, which is odd because they're both different calibers and one has a faster rate of fire than the other.

Anyway,
here's a clip of someone shooting a Bofors 40mm.
Patchman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 05:53 AM   #20
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

if you remove the belts, pants will come down. The Admiral might belt you for that.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 09:56 AM   #21
Raven79
A-ganger

Downloads: 7

Quote:
The Admiral might belt you for that.
Got to be quicker and remove that one, too
Raven79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belt, navy, nitpicky, usmc