Old 10-24-22, 09:26 AM   #7696
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Ukraine war: Russian spy chief blames West for nuclear tension

By Steve Rosenberg
Russia Editor

Western leaders have expressed concern about the scale of nuclear sabre-rattling over Ukraine by senior Russian officials, including President Putin, especially after February's invasion.

How does Moscow react to charges it is engaging in such rhetoric and threats?

I asked one of Russia's most powerful officials, Sergei Naryshkin, head of the SVR Foreign Intelligence Service, to respond to international criticism.

He denied any Russian nuclear rhetoric, even though there's been plenty.

Mr Naryshkin pointed the finger back at the West.

"Will you state categorically that Russia will not use nuclear weapons in Ukraine or engage in other provocative actions, such as exploding a dirty bomb, or blowing up a dam?" I asked Mr Naryshkin.

Russia's spy chief didn't answer the question directly. "We are, of course, very concerned about Western rhetoric about the possibility of using nuclear weapons," Sergei Naryshkin responded.

"Yesterday Russia's defence minister talked by phone with his colleagues from Turkey, the US and France. He told them about the possible plans of the Ukrainian leadership to use a so-called 'dirty nuclear bomb'," Mr Naryshkin continued.

"But there is no evidence to back up that claim," I pointed out.

On Sunday the UK, US and French governments issued a joint statement on the Russian government's claims. They rejected what they called "Russia's transparently false allegations" against Kyiv, adding: "The world would see through any attempt to use this allegation as a pretext for escalation. We further reject any pretext for escalation by Russia."

I was speaking to Sergei Naryshkin at the opening of an exhibition at the Russian Army Museum.

It is a sobering experience - an exhibition that transports you back to a time when the world was on the edge of nuclear Armageddon.

It marks the 60th anniversary of the Cuban Missile Crisis. On the wall there is a giant photograph of Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev and US President John F Kennedy. There are images of the Soviet missiles Moscow sent to Cuba, and which the Kennedy White House demanded the Kremlin remove.

In the eyes of Vladimir Putin's Russia, what are the lessons of the Cuban Missile Crisis?

"The lesson of the Cuban Missile crisis is that political leaders must find the inner strength to reach compromises to resolve global problems," Sergei Naryshkin told me.

It's true that Kennedy and Khrushchev compromised to end a potentially devastating crisis. Khrushchev removed nuclear missiles from Cuba; Kennedy promised to remove American missiles from Turkey.

But six decades on, there is no sign that Russia's current leader, Vladimir Putin, is prepared to compromise. Once more there is concern about a possible nuclear conflict.

And yet the war in Ukraine is very different from the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Back in February the Kremlin leader invaded a neighbouring country, a sovereign state; the war has been raging for eight months. Despite major setbacks on the battlefield, President Putin still seems determined to secure some kind of victory, both over Ukraine and against the West.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63373728

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 10-24-22, 09:29 AM   #7697
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 10-24-22, 09:39 AM   #7698
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I see a big risk in case of the Republicans scoring big at the midterm elections. They could seripously delay, limit, hamper US wepain supplies to Ukraine, and already annoucned they want to do so.

Lets face it, even a completely willing Europe would nto be capable to replace and compensate for a loss of US weapon deliveries to the Ukraine. So what is being talked about amongst Republicans is to drive dagger into the Ukraine's back and help Putin to win the war. Thats the effect of what the Republicans want.

The Ukraine has no reason to feel safe and easy about American support. What Biden says he wants to do, is one thing. What soon he is left with being able to do, might be a very different one.
You are correct to a point, a lot of us (citizens) here in the U.S. feel that this war is more of a EU problem rather than a United States one. Frankly, we have bigger domestic problems, spending money (we don't have), and too intervene in a European problem is just not very smart. There is no upside (political or economic). What exactly the U.S is getting in return for the 15 Billion in aid we have provided since 2020 has yet to be established.

In other words the U.S support (or lack of) Ukraine has nothing to do with supporting Putin (he is not very popular here), and is more driven by economics then anything else. (plus we are coming off of a 20 year war in the Mid-East and aren't all that eager to jump into another fight (that really isn't ours).

since Europe is calling for complete withdrawal of Russia from Ukraine (or the removal of Putin), I suggest you (Europe) step up militarily to oust him from Ukraine or start looking for a diplomatic solution to end the conflict, because we here in the U.S see our domestic problems as more pressing issues that need our attention.
Old 10-24-22, 09:46 AM   #7699
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 10-24-22, 09:53 AM   #7700
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
You are correct to a point, a lot of us (citizens) here in the U.S. feel that this war is more of a EU problem rather than a United States one. Frankly, we have bigger domestic problems, spending money (we don't have), and too intervene in a European problem is just not very smart. There is no upside (political or economic). What exactly the U.S is getting in return for the 15 Billion in aid we have provided since 2020 has yet to be established.

In other words the U.S support (or lack of) Ukraine has nothing to do with supporting Putin (he is not very popular here), and is more driven by economics then anything else. (plus we are coming off of a 20 year war in the Mid-East and aren't all that eager to jump into another fight (that really isn't ours).

since Europe is calling for complete withdrawal of Russia from Ukraine (or the removal of Putin), I suggest you (Europe) step up militarily to oust him from Ukraine or start looking for a diplomatic solution to end the conflict, because we here in the U.S see our domestic problems as more pressing issues that need our attention.

There is a lot of truth to what you are saying. However, there is a counterpoint to be made as well. Letting Putrid go at this point will almost certainly guarantee that Putrid will be on the move against other European countries in short order and probably other NATO countries as well.

The U.S didn't intervene in other European countries affairs when Hitler was rampaging across Europe in the late 30's and early 40's. All this did was delay the entry of the U.S into WW2. We ( the U.S ) still ended up fighting in a European conflict and war. The U.S felt then as they do now with regards to European issues. Putrid has to be stopped and if this means war, so be it.

I have complete confidence in the U.S forces where everyone is of the same mind and completely behind the objectives. Subsim member August had stated a few weeks ago that the political will wasn't there in these other conflicts and August was correct, in my opinion. This wasn't the case in Vietnam, Iraq or Afghanistan. Perhaps even more important is that the political will in Europe to confront Russia and Putin is there as well. The U.S is feeling the pain right now but letting Putin go on won't change that.

Although the Ukraine isn't a member of NATO, The U.S signed on to come to other European countries aid in the event of hostilities with Russia. The U.S has to decide if they want to deal with a tyrant right now or wait until he is emboldened like Hitler was in WW2. Putrid has transformed Russia into a terrorist state and country. Any way you look at it, Putrid like Hitler before him, is a threat to world peace and we will have to deal with it sooner or later.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 10-24-22 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-24-22, 09:56 AM   #7701
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 10-24-22, 12:23 PM   #7702
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Russia’s claims about Ukrainian "dirty bomb" are absurd, - Stoltenberg

The Secretary General of the North Atlantic Alliance Jens Stoltenberg, commenting on Russia’s accusations against Ukraine of creating a "dirty bomb", warned Moscow against using false statements as a pretext for escalating the war.

Stoltenberg said this in an interview with Politico on Monday, Censor.NET reports with reference to "European Truth".

"The statement that Ukraine is preparing to use "dirty bombs" in Ukraine is absurd," said the Secretary General of the Alliance.

He noted that it is absurd to talk about Ukraine's use of a "dirty bomb" on its own territory, the liberation of which it is fighting so hard.

"What worries us is that this is part of a pattern of behavior that we've seen from Russia before - in Syria, but also at the beginning of the war, or right before the war started in February. It's about Russia accusing others of being do what they intend to do themselves," Stoltenberg said.

He warned Russia against using false accusations "as any pretext for further escalation of the war in Ukraine."

It will be recalled that during Sunday, the Minister of Defense of the Russian Federation, Sergei Shoigu, called at least three defense ministers of NATO countries - France, Turkey and Britain) talking about the Ukrainian "dirty bomb".

The Russian Federation claims that Ukraine is preparing a "dirty bomb" attack on its territory in order to blame it on Russia. Source: https://censor.net/en/n3375957

Old 10-24-22, 12:37 PM   #7703
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Russia is sending more troops into the key southern city of Kherson and may be preparing to defend it, Ukraine's spy chief has said.

Ukraine had previously suggested some Russian units might be leaving.

Russia took Kherson in the early days of the war, but has recently come under pressure as Ukrainian troops advance along the Dnipro River.

Russian authorities in the city have ordered thousands of civilians to evacuate.

Kyrylo Budanov, the Ukrainian intelligence chief, dismissed this as an "information operation", telling the Ukrayinska Pravda website Moscow was "trying to create the illusion that everything is lost".

The Russian military is sending in more troops and preparing the streets for defence, he said, adding that the removal of citizens is a pretence to save face in case the city falls to Ukraine.

This is a departure from Kyiv's earlier comments that the invading forces were leaving the city. "They are not preparing to exit now," he said.

The BBC has not verified the precise movements of either sides' troops on the ground. The suggestion that Russian troops are digging in raises the possibility of a fierce fight in the coming weeks.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63377946

Old 10-24-22, 01:28 PM   #7704
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Old 10-24-22, 03:23 PM   #7705
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Belarus withdrew most of the military equipment from the border areas and returned it to the places of permanent deployment, - data from the "Belarusian Gayun" monitoring group. https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/st...40515185573888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Old 10-24-22, 04:29 PM   #7706
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

They must be very desperate these Russians.

In a video clip on twitter you could see in front of a dash cam a truck hauling a small haubits the wheels on this haubits, who was according to the text above the video from 1943, was very wobbly.

Is it a fake video-Made by the Russians to fool the Ukrainians believing they haven't better weapon than those from WWII.
Or
Are Russia in such a dilemma that their modern weapons are being destroyed faster than it being produced

Markus

My little lovely female cat
Old 10-24-22, 06:45 PM   #7707
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
There is a lot of truth to what you are saying. However, there is a counterpoint to be made as well. Letting Putrid go at this point will almost certainly guarantee that Putrid will be on the move against other European countries in short order and probably other NATO countries as well.
I didn't say let Putin off the hook, I said the U.S. should take a step back, and reassess our "role" in this mess, and let the Europeans (who have the most to gain/lose) take point.
Old 10-24-22, 07:05 PM   #7708
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
I didn't say let Putin off the hook, I said the U.S. should take a step back, and reassess our "role" in this mess, and let the Europeans (who have the most to gain/lose) take point.
I understand and agree with what you said. There really are no easy answers. My point was it may be more costly in the end to sit on our hands and do nothing where Putrid and Russia is concerned. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. I think that those who are assisting the Ukraine, the U.S included haven't forgotten history either and fully understand the ramifications of appeasement where a despot is concerned. As you pointed out, there should be a happy medium.
Old 10-24-22, 08:25 PM   #7709
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
My take on this is Europe was quite content to keep building relations with Putin and reliance on Russian gas particularly Germany’s desire to be the main hub for Russian gas. That placed most of Eastern Europe where Russian pipelines ran, in financial and political jeopardy particularly Ukraine. IMO we have no choice but to remain deeply involved and drop the hammer on Russian/German ties.

Having seen Ukraine’s response and determination. My only regret so far is we haven’t done more to crush Russian military aggression in Ukraine.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online  
Old 10-24-22, 09:23 PM   #7710
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
My take on this is Europe was quite content to keep building relations with Putin and reliance on Russian gas particularly Germany’s desire to be the main hub for Russian gas. That placed most of Eastern Europe where Russian pipelines ran, in financial and political jeopardy particularly Ukraine. IMO we have no choice but to remain deeply involved and drop the hammer on Russian/German ties.

Having seen Ukraine’s response and determination. My only regret so far is we haven’t done more to crush Russian military aggression in Ukraine.

Simply put, Putrid is another Hitler. Europe won't know peace until Russia is beaten and Putrid is gone. The Ukraine has shown remarkable resilience, skill and determination in fighting Russian forces. In my humble opinion, the Ukraine is more than deserving of U.S and world wide support.

I have noticed the only countries supporting Russia are ones with dictators controlling their countries. China, North Korea, Iran and Venezuela come to mind.

Like most, I won't be happy until the Ukraine wins and Russis is soundly beaten and paying reparations and answering for crimes against humanity. Oh, I would like to see Putrid and his cronies hanging at the end of a rope. I doubt Russia will answer for it's crimes but is that asking too much ?
Closed Thread