SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-15, 06:03 AM   #1
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Uploads: 0
Default Compat?

I'm more concerned with what will run under Win 10. More and more of my fave games have been rendered to scrap by Win8 and 8.1. Sad, but the future looks rather dim.
Old 01-26-15, 06:50 AM   #2
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Downloads: 6

I love the look and the way Windows 8.1.2 works and like Steve I also have it set to go straight to the desktop.
But here is the thing sometimes when using Windows 8.1.2 something or a program that runs fine most of the time starts slowing down or failing I could not work this out until I installed the board in my latest build.
This board monitors the boot-up from first turn on to OP running. most of the time all is ok but then every now and then it shows error messages AE and then D4 so what this is saying is that my PCIe slots on my Mother Board are out of resources. These slots are used by my Graphics cards how strange is that.
This don't happen with any other Windows Version so I hope Windows 10 works like 7 and runs everything fine.
Old 01-26-15, 10:11 AM   #3
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
I love the look and the way Windows 8.1.2 works and like Steve I also have it set to go straight to the desktop.
But here is the thing sometimes when using Windows 8.1.2 something or a program that runs fine most of the time starts slowing down or failing I could not work this out until I installed the board in my latest build.
This board monitors the boot-up from first turn on to OP running. most of the time all is ok but then every now and then it shows error messages AE and then D4 so what this is saying is that my PCIe slots on my Mother Board are out of resources. These slots are used by my Graphics cards how strange is that.
This don't happen with any other Windows Version so I hope Windows 10 works like 7 and runs everything fine.
Never had the issues you are mentioning, though I run a new laptop with 8.1.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-15, 04:10 PM   #4
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
Never had the issues you are mentioning, though I run a new laptop with 8.1.
Hi RDP nice to hear from you anyways yes after many hours today re-installing Windows 8.1 To try and track this issue down I can report successes in this matter.
After opening the bios and searching through the different screens I found that in my Bios Features Screen near the bottom of the page I found a section called "Windows 8 Features".
And for some reason Window 8 had decided to set this option to Other O/S. so I selected Windows 8 and then in the screen Peripherals I found the PCIe Configuration was set to AUTO which should be good to go but just to make sure I change it to X4 and re-started my computer The X4 setting caused the bios to fail as expected and the computer re-set again and booted but the PCIe items did not work also as expected so another re-start and changing the X4 setting back to auto and then re-starting the computer started up as good as gold so it looks like all it needed was a kick in the ass.
I have tested the Computers boot up several times in the last 3 hours and all is good.
Old 01-26-15, 07:54 PM   #5
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
I have tested the Computers boot up several times in the last 3 hours and all is good.
Nice job figuring this out

Hopefully all will continue to run smooth

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 11:33 PM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

So, with the news that Win 7 and 8 user will get a free upgrade to Win 10, I guess I am wondering should I get that new laptop now...and upgrade to Win 10 this fall?
Old 06-05-15, 03:54 PM   #7
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360

Neal , I'd stick with the Win95 machine
Doolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-15, 11:02 AM   #8
debbie11
Nub

Downloads: 0

I don't have any problems running under Windows 10
debbie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-16, 12:29 PM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default My 'comfort level' ain't comfortable!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by obalouafi View Post
Thx for the informations , i'm planing to leave Win 7 and upgrade to Win 10
THANKS for the informations! I'm planning not to upgrade my Win 7 to Win 10; and the more they constantly harass me: especially the 'bandwagon approach' ie "10,000,000 have switched" (why not U?): the stiffer my resolve!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-16, 05:12 PM   #10
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

A bit of a heads up regarding a problem I ran into on a tablet running Win 10: the tablet began to run rather lethargically, so I went to the Task Manager to see what was running and observed a high amount of CPU usage from a process called the Windows Shell Experience Host; this process cannot be ended, so I went online to see if there were other reported cases; there apparently is a problem regarding this process and it not only affects overall performance, it also seems to cause problems with some graphics cards; the solution is very simple and all you have to do is go to Settings -> Personalization -> Colors, find the Accent Color switch, and change it to OFF; on the tablet I did this on, the CPU usage dropped to 0%...

<O>
Old 01-29-15, 07:29 AM   #11
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
Nice job figuring this out

Hopefully all will continue to run smooth
Nope All went south Again darn it
Old 01-29-15, 11:02 AM   #12
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Looks like the Sniper 5 motherboard also suffered from this issue with Windows 8 and I put it down to a board fault Lets hope they get this sorted with windows 10
Old 01-26-15, 10:43 AM   #13
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond6751 View Post
I'm more concerned with what will run under Win 10. More and more of my fave games have been rendered to scrap by Win8 and 8.1. Sad, but the future looks rather dim.
Yeah, that's why I have several older computers running DOS, Win 95 and Win XP in my office I don't throw the old ones out.

Tags
windows