SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-27-22, 03:34 PM   #4651
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Default Contact Reports

S7rikeback & PB,

Have you manipulated a parameter in FOTRSU that affects the assignment of Contact Reports?
i ask because with the last two versions the vast majority of requests to attack by using the Contact Report are replied to in the negative. this is a very different result from Stock so i am drawing a conclusion that some obscure parm has been manipulated. which is fine...i just wondered which parm it is.

btw, i am not sure if i have ever mentioned that the additional island/atoll/straits names are so helpful, even for an old salt who knows Pacific geography. is there a way i can apply some file to Stock to upgrade that installation with more names?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-22, 05:54 PM   #4652
!!HansGruber!!
Watch

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

To me contact report seems to be linked with torpedo load. Above 50% load I generally get an attack order. Once it goes below 50% I'm usually told thanks but no thanks.
!!HansGruber!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-22, 10:51 PM   #4653
Torpex77
Helmsman

Downloads: 72
Default Re Enter Port

Hey, has anyone had an issue reentering port when Homeport is Guam?
Ive tried different times, angle of approach, but it crashes each time right after Im awarded the Bronze star. Also cannot request transfer from this port. December 1944
Thanks,
Frank
Old 05-28-22, 09:31 AM   #4654
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpex77 View Post
Ive tried different times, angle of approach, but it crashes each time right after Im awarded the Bronze star. Also cannot request transfer from this port. December 1944
Thanks,
Frank
i am approaching mid-1944 in my Gato career, so i will attempt to transfer to Guam and let you know what happens.

btw, what boat are you driving? and which mods do you have applied?
JSGME-Tasks-Copy to Clipboard-then Paste into a Post here.

thanks.

LAA enabled
Old 05-28-22, 09:35 AM   #4655
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!HansGruber!! View Post
To me contact report seems to be linked with torpedo load. Above 50% load I generally get an attack order. Once it goes below 50% I'm usually told thanks but no thanks.
in my case, ammo is NOT the issue. i've been diverted from attacking with a full load of ammo countless times. and then when i have only six shots remaining, i will get the word to attack. seems oddly random...or oddly directed. it is hard to distinguish between the two, and that is why i asked the modders for some additional info.

LAA enabled
Old 05-28-22, 11:51 AM   #4656
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
S7rikeback & PB,

Have you manipulated a parameter in FOTRSU that affects the assignment of Contact Reports?
i ask because with the last two versions the vast majority of requests to attack by using the Contact Report are replied to in the negative. this is a very different result from Stock so i am drawing a conclusion that some obscure parm has been manipulated. which is fine...i just wondered which parm it is.

btw, i am not sure if i have ever mentioned that the additional island/atoll/straits names are so helpful, even for an old salt who knows Pacific geography. is there a way i can apply some file to Stock to upgrade that installation with more names?
What happens with the Contact Reports is the Ship Type used by the Reports. The mod uses Type=0 through Type=20, but the stock game handling of Contact Reports does not know what anything over a Type=11 BB is, so the "logic" can be bad, dependent upon what you encounter in a group. We have tried several constructs, and will keep trying.

As for the map names, that is in the "Campaign_NMS.cfg" file in Data / Campaigns / Campaign file, which then calls all of the images in Data / Terrain / LocationMaps folder. I have a mod on SubSim here from a few years ago, but have to update it. We generally add a half-dozen or more each release.

Quote:
Thanks,
Frank
You should not be having an issue like that, but as KM mentions, it would be helpful to have more information. Besides the list of mods you are using, and the boat you are driving,
1. What was the date you started this patrol?
2. Where did you sail from to start this patrol you cannot end?
3. What were your orders for the patrol?
4. Did you complete objectives, sinks ships, etc.?
5. How did you get assigned to Guam?
6. You are able to dock, but are encountering a CTD after the game awards you a Bronze Star?
7. After re-starting the game and trying to Load a career, are you back in the office, and the game ready to start the next patrol?
For a few of the boats, Guam is it, until maybe Subic Bay in February 1945. Several of the submarines should be able to transfer to Pearl, but not all. I don't believe we have encountered anyone crashing after being awarded the Bronze Star, so we would appreciate it if you could zip of your Save folder, post it somewhere, send us a PM with a link, and we'll attempt to see what is visible in that, and get back with you.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-22, 12:33 PM   #4657
Torpex77
Helmsman

Quote:
i am approaching mid-1944 in my Gato career, so i will attempt to transfer to Guam and let you know what happens.

btw, what boat are you driving? and which mods do you have applied?
JSGME-Tasks-Copy to Clipboard-then Paste into a Post here.

thanks.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Silent\Silent Hunter\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.7p3
803_NoPlayerSubFlags
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN
801_UMark Invisible
806_PeriscopeSplash

TENCH CLASS

I always save my last inport just in case, and if I try to transfer OUT of Guam it says transfer not available. DEC 1944 IIRC

Frank
Old 05-28-22, 01:48 PM   #4658
propbeanie

The main problem Torpex77 is that the Tench Class boat is not supposed to be available until January of 1945. Since it is not an active boat, it crashes the game.

This is a concept we have been trying to wrap our heads around since the beginning of the game. It's nice that they decided to "reward" a player with a high score by presenting them with a new boat - but NOT until after it is available in the game! All of the updates they had done to this game, and they never bothered to fix the issue. As modders, we have to pay attention to dates on everything. But the game itself apparently can ignore them, and just do whatever whenever. The boat is restricted in multiple places, but the game will still give it to you early. It behooves the player to familiarize themselves with when boats are available (multiple pdf files in the Support folder).

What you will have to do is re-arm and re-fuel, but NOT end patrol. Go back out and do a Status update if you want more assignments, or just go sink stuff. Come back in to dock at Guam after January 1, 1945. You should then make if fully through the process of docking. I am surprised it did let you dock previously...

Old 05-28-22, 02:21 PM   #4659
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default 40mm AA Gun Crew Slots?

Arrived at home port Pearl Harbor on 6/14/43. Got the option to replace the twin 20mm AA gun with a Single 40mm, so I took it. However, this is only one crew slot for the mew 40mm AA gun.

I said "I got this", exited the game, went to the very last save I took after adding the 40mm AA gun from the office, opened the activeuserplayerunits.upc file within SaveGames, looked for the 40mm AA Gun entries, and then looked at the gun crew slots. I expected to fine a Crew Leader slot description (like L1), and then the 2nd crew man (C1) with the "additionalrepository" that I needed to delete (and change the slot from 1 to 2).

It's not in there! The 40mm AA gun in the equipment list says that there should be 2 crew slots, but they do not appear on the crew page in the Office.

Have you changed how to assign a second crew slot somehow from the last time I went through this, or did I miss something?

Forgot to mention it was in Gato.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All

Last edited by torpedobait; 05-28-22 at 03:54 PM.
torpedobait is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-22, 02:26 PM   #4660
Torpex77
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The main problem Torpex77 is that the Tench Class boat is not supposed to be available until January of 1945. Since it is not an active boat, it crashes the game.

This is a concept we have been trying to wrap our heads around since the beginning of the game. It's nice that they decided to "reward" a player with a high score by presenting them with a new boat - but NOT until after it is available in the game! All of the updates they had done to this game, and they never bothered to fix the issue. As modders, we have to pay attention to dates on everything. But the game itself apparently can ignore them, and just do whatever whenever. The boat is restricted in multiple places, but the game will still give it to you early. It behooves the player to familiarize themselves with when boats are available (multiple pdf files in the Support folder).

What you will have to do is re-arm and re-fuel, but NOT end patrol. Go back out and do a Status update if you want more assignments, or just go sink stuff. Come back in to dock at Guam after January 1, 1945. You should then make if fully through the process of docking. I am surprised it did let you dock previously...

Ahhhhh..Makes total sense. I decided to rearm and refuel and head back out after posting here. I'll take the long way home to make it back to port after January 1 45. I did take a quick glance to see if there were any specific issues in the read me but didnt glean anything, or missed it. Its cool, I can survive without reentering port.))
Old 05-28-22, 02:39 PM   #4661
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Arrived at home port Pearl Harbor on 6/14/43. Got the option to replace the twin 20mm AA gun with a Single 40mm, so I took it. However, this is only one crew slot for the mew 40mm AA gun.

I said "I got this", exited the game, went to the very last save I took after adding the 40mm AA gun from the office, opened the activeuserplayerunits.upc file within SaveGames, looked for the 40mm AA Gun entries, and then looked at the gun crew slots. I expected to fine a Crew Leader slot description (like L1), and then the 2nd crew man (C1) with the "additionalrepository" that I needed to delete (and change the slot from 1 to 2).

It's not in there! The 40mm AA gun in the equipment list says that there should be 2 crew slots, but they do not appear on the crew page in the Office.

Have you changed how to assign a second crew slot somehow from the last time I went through this, or did I miss something?
No, we haven't changed anything there. What boat are you in? Part of the problem with the 40mm guns is similar to the radars, in that certain conning towers have to be in-place for the gun to be able to mount. Generally speaking, you have to have the 3rd conning tower, which is the double-cut, at a minimum. The game is not supposed to give you the choice for the 40mm before you have a double-cut, but if you do still have a single-cut, that is probably part of the problem. As to the upc file, let me see if I can find my old "fix kit" for that...

Edit: OK, my current Aft AA gun is a 40mm:

This is for CrewMemberSlot 2
[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart.Compartment 2.CrewMemberSlot 2]
ID=CrewMemberSlot_FlakC1
NameDisplayable=AA Gun Crew
Type=Crewman
IDLinkCrewMemberLoaded=NULL
WatchCrewMemberSlot3D=WM2@slot_A01
BattleStationsCrewMemberSlot3D=WM2@slot_A01
WatchAccessoriesForAdding3DObjects=NULL
WatchAccessoriesForSubtracting3DObjects=sapca_o01, sapca_o02,sapca_o03,sapca_o04,sapca_o05,sapca_o06, sapca_o07,sapca_o08,sapca_o09,sapca_o10,sapca_o11, sapca_o12,sapca_nco01,sapca_nco02,sapca_nco03,sapc a_nco04,sapca_nco05,sapca_nco06,sapca_nco07,sapca_ nco08,sapca_nco09,sapca_nco10,sapca_nco11,sapca_nc o12,sapca_m01,sapca_m02,sapca_m03,sapca_m04,sapca_ m05,sapca_m06,sapca_m07,sapca_m08,sapca_m09,sapca_ m10,sapca_m11,sapca_m12
BattleAccessoriesForAdding3DObjects=sapca_ca#Head
BattleAccessoriesForSubtracting3DObjects=sapca_ca0 1,sapca_ca02,sapca_ca03,sapca_ca04,sapca_ca05,sapc a_ca06,sapca_ca07,sapca_ca08,sapca_ca09,sapca_ca10 ,sapca_ca11,sapca_ca12

but you want to make certain you have all the parts for the gun.

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart.Compartment 2.WeaponSlot 1]
ID=CTBackAA
NameDisplayable=Aft AA Mount
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=NULL
UserCustomizable=No
IDLinkBunker=GunsAmmoBunker
ExternalNodeName3D=A01
ExternalObjectName3D=NULL
ExternalDamageZoneTypeID3D=-1
IDLinkWeaponLoaded=40mmSingleUS, NULL

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart.Compartment 2.WeaponSlot 1.Weapon]
ID=40mmSingleUS
NameDisplayable=40mm AA Gun
WeaponInterval=1943-08-01, 1999-12-31
WeaponSlotType=NULL
AmmoTypesAccepted=40mmAPUS,40mmHEUS
AmmoTypeLoaded=NULL
AmmoMagazineSize=4
AmmoMagazineRemaining=0
WeaponCrewMembersSlots=2
ExternalLinkName3D=40mm_Single_soclu
FunctionalType=WpFlak
Hitpoints=100.000000
EfficiencyHumanFactor=0.000000
EfficiencyMechanicFactor=1.000000
Efficiency=0.000000
Damage=0.000000
DamageHitpointsConsumed=0.000000
RemainingRepairTime=0000-00-00 00:00:00
DamageDescription1=NULL,0,0.2,0,1,1,Jam,0,0,NULL,1 ,0.3,0.175169
DamageDescription2=NULL,0,1,0,0.5,1,Chamber Explosion,50,5,NULL,1,2,9.12954

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart.Compartment 2.CrewMemberSlot 1]
ID=CrewMemberSlot_FlakL1
NameDisplayable=AA Guns Crew
Type=Leader
WatchCrewMemberSlot3D=WM1@slot_A01
BattleStationsCrewMemberSlot3D=WM1@slot_A01
WatchAccessoriesForSubtracting3DObjects=sapca_o01, sapca_o02,sapca_o03,sapca_o04,sapca_o05,sapca_o06, sapca_o07,sapca_o08,sapca_o09,sapca_o10,sapca_o11, sapca_o12,sapca_nco01,sapca_nco02,sapca_nco03,sapc a_nco04,sapca_nco05,sapca_nco06,sapca_nco07,sapca_ nco08,sapca_nco09,sapca_nco10,sapca_nco11,sapca_nc o12,sapca_m01,sapca_m02,sapca_m03,sapca_m04,sapca_ m05,sapca_m06,sapca_m07,sapca_m08,sapca_m09,sapca_ m10,sapca_m11,sapca_m12
BattleAccessoriesForSubtracting3DObjects=sapca_ca0 1,sapca_ca02,sapca_ca03,sapca_ca04,sapca_ca05,sapc a_ca06,sapca_ca07,sapca_ca08,sapca_ca09,sapca_ca10 ,sapca_ca11,sapca_ca12

ID=CrewMemberSlot_FlakC1
Type=Crewman

You need all the lines of the weapon slot, and well as all the lines of the Weapon itself that sits in the weapon slot, along with proper crew slots. Compartement 2 is the Aft gun, Compartment 3 is the Fore gun (with exceptions, of course, in the S-Boats and the Cachalot).

Quote:
Ahhhhh..Makes total sense. I decided to rearm and refuel and head back out after posting here. I'll take the long way home to make it back to port after January 1 45. I did take a quick glance to see if there were any specific issues in the read me but didnt glean anything, or missed it. Its cool, I can survive without reentering port.))
Well, good luck with it still. I do not trust the game to do right still... lol

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-28-22 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Added Spoilers
Old 05-28-22, 09:43 PM   #4662
Torpex77
Helmsman

Quote:
No, we haven't changed anything there. What boat are you in? Part of the problem with the 40mm guns is similar to the radars, in that certain conning towers have to be in-place for the gun to be able to mount. Generally speaking, you have to have the 3rd conning tower, which is the double-cut, at a minimum. The game is not supposed to give you the choice for the 40mm before you have a double-cut, but if you do still have a single-cut, that is probably part of the problem. As to the upc file, let me see if I can find my old "fix kit" for that...

This is for CrewMemberSlot 2
ID=CrewMemberSlot_FlakC1
Type=Crewman

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart.Compartment 2.WeaponSlot 1]
ID=CTBackAA
NameDisplayable=Aft AA Mount
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=NULL
UserCustomizable=No
IDLinkBunker=GunsAmmoBunker
ExternalNodeName3D=A01
ExternalObjectName3D=NULL
ExternalDamageZoneTypeID3D=-1
IDLinkWeaponLoaded=40mmSingleUS, NULL

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart.Compartment 2.WeaponSlot 1.Weapon]
ID=40mmSingleUS
NameDisplayable=40mm AA Gun
WeaponInterval=1943-08-01, 1999-12-31
WeaponSlotType=NULL
AmmoTypesAccepted=40mmAPUS,40mmHEUS
AmmoTypeLoaded=NULL
AmmoMagazineSize=4
AmmoMagazineRemaining=0
WeaponCrewMembersSlots=2
ExternalLinkName3D=40mm_Single_soclu
FunctionalType=WpFlak
Hitpoints=100.000000
EfficiencyHumanFactor=0.000000
EfficiencyMechanicFactor=1.000000
Efficiency=0.000000
Damage=0.000000
DamageHitpointsConsumed=0.000000
RemainingRepairTime=0000-00-00 00:00:00
DamageDescription1=NULL,0,0.2,0,1,1,Jam,0,0,NULL,1 ,0.3,0.175169
DamageDescription2=NULL,0,1,0,0.5,1,Chamber Explosion,50,5,NULL,1,2,9.12954

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart.Compartment 2.CrewMemberSlot 1]
ID=CrewMemberSlot_FlakL1
NameDisplayable=AA Guns Crew
Type=Leader
WatchCrewMemberSlot3D=WM1@slot_A01
BattleStationsCrewMemberSlot3D=WM1@slot_A01

ID=CrewMemberSlot_FlakC1
Type=Crewman

You need all the lines of the weapon slot, and well as all the lines of the Weapon itself that sits in the weapon slot, along with proper crew slots. Compartement 2 is the Aft gun, Compartment 3 is the Fore gun (with exceptions, of course, in the S-Boats and the Cachalot).

Well, good luck with it still. I do not trust the game to do right still... lol
Well, I waited to Jan 5th and it crashed again. Wish there was a "RETIRE" Button..lol maybe there's too many medals, Or Too Much Tonnage? If my Hull wasnt down 35% I would just keep going with resupply to the End of the war. Shame you cant get hull repairs in other bases.
Old 05-28-22, 10:57 PM   #4663
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Well, I waited to Jan 5th and it crashed again. Wish there was a "RETIRE" Button..lol maybe there's too many medals, Or Too Much Tonnage? If my Hull wasnt down 35% I would just keep going with resupply to the End of the war. Shame you cant get hull repairs in other bases.
no, it's not you, it's the Tench....always the Tench.
that boat is the buggiest boat in SH4.
i've learned my lesson: never upgrade to a Tench.
well, if you cannot go back to the Gato or Balao via Save files, then you have two options: become the new Flying Dutchman and sail trackless seas forever until August 15 or start a new career.

LAA enabled
Old 05-28-22, 11:23 PM   #4664
Torpex77
Helmsman

Quote:
no, it's not you, it's the Tench....always the Tench.
that boat is the buggiest boat in SH4.
i've learned my lesson: never upgrade to a Tench.
well, if you cannot go back to the Gato or Balao via Save files, then you have two options: become the new Flying Dutchman and sail trackless seas forever until August 15 or start a new career.

Im On it! Just Call me Captain RA-n-RF
Old 05-29-22, 09:30 AM   #4665
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:

Thanks, Props! Worked perfectly once I remembered to make the changes and then EXIT and RELOAD the game. Not your fault - it's a basic step for changes

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is online   Reply With Quote