SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-23, 11:57 AM   #496
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Welcome aboard!

Ajaja!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-23, 02:17 PM   #497
spriterfight12
Nub

Downloads: 53

Hi all.I would like to get some tips about target shadowing and following it by visuals and smoke.I have map ocntacts off and its annoying because i dont know what to do,usually i try to estimate the course by asking the watch officer about its range and bearing and wait a few minutes and ask again then plot the course but the course is unreliable and i cant intrecept the target
spriterfight12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-23, 05:27 AM   #498
Jokerman
Swabbie

Downloads: 66

All assuming that all you can see is smoke and there's no visual of the target vessel.

It'll always be an estimation based on smoke on the horizon (meaning visual tracking) and what you are doing already is going to be the main action to get your some reference to measure against.

Yep, it's not easy. Depending on weather and visual clarity, judging whether that smoke is dropping over the horizon or not is the first judgement to make. This will take some time. If you can work out that, then next will be to work on your speed matching. Using 6kn as a starting point determine if you seem to overtaking or not.

Actually, it'll end being a combination of rudder changes (use the rudder interface to make direction changes) and speed changes (use the speed scale and not engine settings).

If you can maintain visual on their smoke (height above the horizon), then you are shadowing ..... and then you can plan your next steps, such as planning an ambush.

Under water, there are techniques to shadow also using sonar and these are more busy, takes more time to learn and really give you a sense of just how capable these navigators and boat captains were.

S!

Last edited by Jokerman; 03-28-23 at 07:12 AM.
Jokerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-24, 07:47 PM   #499
corporalspiffy
Gunner

Downloads: 177
Default static weather

i have been patrolling in the north Atlantic for several weeks now and the weather is not what it ought to be. from my understanding the climate is turbulent in the north Atlantic. i get 0 wind and no clouds for days at a time, this can't be realistic.

is this just the way the game is? i read Darkwraith's comment on the subject I think he said that it was just too involved to make the weather more dynamic.
iablshipsfornygm
3rdflotillamod
nygm_hires_subs
ahnenerbe
corporalspiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-24, 12:44 PM   #500
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Bump ^^^^

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-24, 02:55 PM   #501
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Uhhh... showing SH3 mods, posting in an SH5 thread... Are all the mods compatible with NYGM??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-24, 01:39 AM   #502
OLZS
Mate

Downloads: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporalspiffy View Post
i have been patrolling in the north Atlantic for several weeks now and the weather is not what it ought to be. from my understanding the climate is turbulent in the north Atlantic. i get 0 wind and no clouds for days at a time, this can't be realistic.

is this just the way the game is? i read Darkwraith's comment on the subject I think he said that it was just too involved to make the weather more dynamic.
I started to deal with this issue, but then I realized that it was too much work and no one needed it. It's a waste of time. Play it the way it is. There's nothing to be done.
I can only say that all the problems with the weather change are due to the modification of the Dynamic Environment. There are too many weather configurations. The game is not adapted for this.
OLZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-24, 07:28 PM   #503
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLZS View Post
I started to deal with this issue, but then I realized that it was too much work and no one needed it. It's a waste of time. Play it the way it is. There's nothing to be done.
I can only say that all the problems with the weather change are due to the modification of the Dynamic Environment. There are too many weather configurations. The game is not adapted for this.
That´s true. Wonder if you could do a mod with de default weather, I mean TWoS with the original SH5 weather. I think this could resolve some problems with DynEnv. The bad weather reports of the nav officer are because the changes via DynEnv.

Many thanks and regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-24, 07:51 PM   #504
OLZS
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
That´s true. Wonder if you could do a mod with de default weather, I mean TWoS with the original SH5 weather. I think this could resolve some problems with DynEnv. The bad weather reports of the nav officer are because the changes via DynEnv.

Many thanks and regards.

Fitzcarraldo
I will try my best! I will send you a test version.

Last edited by OLZS; 02-21-24 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-22-24, 05:21 PM   #505
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLZS View Post
I will try my best! I will send you a test version.

Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-24, 11:51 AM   #506
OLZS
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo