SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-20, 02:23 PM   #3586
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Dossiers are only accepted as gospel when the mention anything bad pertaining to Donald J. Trump.
Old 05-18-20, 02:45 PM   #3587
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
The right answer or the truth? There is no "right" answer in any situation unless you are seeking a specific outcome to suit one's perceived needs. If you are seeking truth, then it is the truth that must be sought and found, not a subjective "right" answer...

Since you brought it up, maybe you can tell us what you perceive as the "right" answer in this case of the Covid-19 inquiries...

<O>
I'm not in the mood for a word fight today ... I just had lunch and now I have to take my nap
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-20, 02:46 PM   #3588
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I prefer the right answer, the problem with the truth is it could lead to a war.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-20, 03:07 PM   #3589
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I prefer the right answer, the problem with the truth is it could lead to a war.
A reason, no: a demand for war it would only be if proof is found that China unleashed this pleague intentionally, for such an action would itself already have been the first attack committed in that war. I doubt it was intentional. If it were like that, I would insist that China must indeed be . most likely only militarily - forced to cut back its role on the world, for it then woudk have dekksntrated that it is an aggressive and lethal threat to all mankind and all the world. Yes, it would be a reason to declare war on China.

I earlier considered the lab-escape theory possible, even pposted it, then some time later decided against it due to findings proclaimed by Western scientists. I can change my opinion again if I see the need. But only when I found the "evidence" for the new lab-escape claim convincing. So far I only see myself unable to assess it, I lack the background knoweldge and all info to really fully understand what they claim, and a smoking gun is not being presented, as I understand it.

I am also not forgetting that not only China has motives to deny the accusations, but that the Donaldinarium also has motives to raise such accusations, independently from truth and evidence. A clown jumping repeatedly on the stage and yelling "Fire!", is being laughed about form first act one, and later gets just yawns since the joke becomes boring. If then he appears again and yells "Fire!" and means it serious for the backstage is already in flames, nobody will believe him anymore.
Old 05-18-20, 03:44 PM   #3590
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Some thoughts on those accusations

Who shall investigate this ?
USA ?
EU ?
UN ?
WHO ?
Another organization ?

The question is, is there a 110 % independent organization who can take on this task-investigate if China have released this Corona virus on purpose or if it was due to weak control at this lab, which made it possible for the virus getting free or was it as many scientist claim it came from a wild life market(Bat)

Next question:
how eager would the Chinese be on cooperating with this organization ?

Next question(Which is a what-if)

What if China had released it.
Are we prepared to offer millions if not billions of innocent life a war ?
I'm not a coward-but we must be 200 % sure.

And it will be USA entirely alone against China. Maybe UK will join.

EU and its leader will do anything to prevent such a development.
They would rather forgive and forgive and.....

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-20, 04:26 AM   #3591
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-20, 04:33 AM   #3592
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The number of people claiming unemployment benefit in the UK soared last month, rising by 856,500 to 2.097m

Work and pensions secretary tells BBC that Britain 'can cope' with unemployment surge.

Donald Trump renews attack on World Health Organization, calling it a "puppet of China"

The US, the WHO's biggest donor, has already suspended its funding of the group.

The attack came after the WHO said an independent review would happen as soon as possible.

Mr Trump also says he is taking the unproven virus drug hydroxychloroquine.

France and Germany propose €500bn recovery fund for EU countries.

Police and protesters clash in Chilean capital Santiago, which has been in lockdown.

There have been 4.8m confirmed cases globally, with 320,000 deaths.

Old 05-19-20, 08:40 AM   #3593
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

Donald Trump renews attack on World Health Organization, calling it a "puppet of China"

The US, the WHO's biggest donor, has already suspended its funding of the group.

The attack came after the WHO said an independent review would happen as soon as possible.

Mr Trump also says he is taking the unproven virus drug hydroxychloroquine.
President Trump can't be wrong all of the time ... he has advisors that give him inside information that we don't get. I feel sorry for him ... no president has ever faced a challenge as big as this one.

I pray for him everyday
or achievement

Old 05-19-20, 08:59 AM   #3594
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 05-19-20, 09:16 AM   #3595
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

NHS England has announced another 174 coronavirus deaths, bringing the total number of confirmed deaths in hospitals in England to 24,913.

In Scotland, a further 29 people have died with the virus. There were another 17 deaths in Wales, while seven more people died in Northern Ireland.

Portugal has reopened cafes, restaurants and many more shops, in a new phase of easing restrictions.

In Sweden almost half of all those whose deaths are linked to Covid-19 were residents of care homes, according to figures given to the BBC by the Swedish public health agency.

The World Health Assembly has agreed to an independent investigation into the response to the global coronavirus pandemic.
At the agency's annual ministerial meeting, none of the WHO's 194 member states - which include the United States - raised objections to the resolution brought by the European Union on behalf of more than 100 countries including Australia, China and Japan.

Qatar has confirmed 12 cases of coronavirus in a prison, but has denied suggestions of a more serious outbreak.

The Czech Republic has reported its largest daily increase in cases for over a month with 111 new infections. The R rate is now 1.2 and 297 people have died. The country is now stockpiling medical equipment, to be ready for a possible second wave of the virus.

Germany has reported 72 more deaths, bringing its official total to 8,007. Its R rate is 0.9 - a rate above 1.0 means that on average a person can infect more than one other. And for 10 days in a row the respected Robert Koch Institute has reported fewer than 1,000 new infections daily.

Coronavirus infections in Poland may start to fall within a week, the country’s Health Minister Lukasz Szumowski says.

Old 05-19-20, 10:07 AM   #3596
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Germany has reported 72 more deaths, bringing its official total to 8,007. Its R rate is 0.9 - a rate above 1.0 means that on average a person can infect more than one other. And for 10 days in a row the respected Robert Koch Institute has reported fewer than 1,000 new infections daily.
However they changed the formula of calculating their R rate, which leaves a bit of a Chinese scent on the tongue... The R value was climbing from almost 0.7 to 0.8, 0.9, 1.0. 1.1, 1.13 and for one eveningone virologist even talked of a value of 1.3, refering to internal numbers of the RKI. This was when the RKI (which is not that much respected over here at all anymore, it has messed up too much of its information policy and it is not the first time they fialed there) decided to replace the old caluclatio with a new one, and immediately the R value was much lower again.

Meanwhile:

I wonder who he is talking about... LOL
Old 05-19-20, 10:40 AM   #3597
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

If it takes two weeks to show up that you have Covid-19 and caught it from someone that didn't have any of the virus symptoms ... How can they trace it to where you got it?

We may have to go through all of this again or at least a partial shut down of bars and theaters and bowling alley's and sports places, and theme parks.

Memorial Day is May 25th

Two more weeks from today is June 2nd

Two weeks from Memorial Day is June 8th
or achievement

Old 05-19-20, 11:00 AM   #3598
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
If it takes two weeks to show up that you have Covid-19 and caught it from someone that didn't have any of the virus symptoms ... How can they trace it to where you got it?

That's a great question. Unfortunately, the answer is complicated. But it uses probability and inference networks. I tried to write a simple example but it turned out some complicated that even I could not understand my own example.

It is not as simple as determining that person A gave COVID10 to person b, who later gave it to person c. The best we can, absent of any type of viral identification is to be able to determine that "It is more likely that person x was infected by person q than it is that person x was not infected by person q".

One of the many problems is that people can be infected with SARSCOV-2 and never develop the disease COVID19 We also don't know how man people are infected by the SARS COV2 virus and only develop minor symptoms of COVID19 to the point that it is never reported.

We also don't know about how being exposed to multiple sources of SARS COV2 virus affects how a person gets infected.

Bottom line is that absent of any type of virus ID, there is no way to determine, with no uncertainty, that a specific person infected another specific person with SARS COV2 and that person developed COVID19 from that specific exposure.

At this point, I am not sure we understand if there is any difference between being exposed to SARS COV2 and being infected with SARS COV2. Their may be people who carry the virus and never develop the disease, but may be able to spread the disease.

Unfortunately, this still a lot we don't know about this virus.

If people are looking for a quick solution, I am afraid they will be disappointed. I am grateful that we have scientists all over the world working on this issue.
Old 05-19-20, 01:35 PM   #3599
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
This was when the RKI (which is not that much respected over here at all anymore, it has messed up too much of its information policy and it is not the first time they fialed there) decided to replace the old caluclatio with a new one, and immediately the R value was much lower again.
BS. The data used for the old nowcast method is still available on the RKI website. So you can compute the old R values (Can you do it? I don't think so) and compare it to the new values. The new method covers a bigger timeframe in order to eliminate oscillation on weekends, bank holidays and so on. That's all. No need to play that paranoid game again.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)

Last edited by skidman; 05-19-20 at 02:02 PM.
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-20, 01:43 PM   #3600
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan