SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-12, 02:58 PM   #13
quink99
中国水兵

Downloads: 941
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
The satisfaction you'll get from building your own computer is great. You know how it works since you put it together. It's just one of those simple joys that I really enjoy.

If your funds are tight I would get the best power supply you can afford and the best motherboard you can afford (I prefer Asus motherboards as I've never had a problem with them). The rest of the items you can add to your system as funds become available.

As far as Intel vs AMD for processors Intel will do more per clock (higher IPC) but for the value you get you can't go wrong with AMD (plus I love the underdog). The new Bulldozer series of chips (FX series) are a waste of money. Stick with the 955BE, 965BE, or the X1100T for the CPU. You can pick up the 955BE and 965BE for cheap now (plus they are great overclockers - I had my 965BE running at 4GHz on air!). A good 500 series nVidia video card will probably be more than you'll ever need (I use my GPU for more than games - I also write programs that run on the GPU via nVidia's CUDA technology).
Again, thanks for the helping hand. If it doesn't explode in an orange fireball when I plug it in I'll PM you as to how it worked!
quink99 is offline   Reply With Quote