Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-05-08, 10:55 PM   #16
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0

I was just reading up about AH's submarine actually

it looks good, but tactical level rather than strategic, as you say.

Thanks for the other links - i'll look them up
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 05:10 AM   #17
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight
If you own a copy of Avalon Hill's Submarine, they have solitare rules here. That's a great tactical WWII subsim. Sub vs convoy. It also has a link to buy used copies.

http://doniphann.net/tsculler/

I don't know if what you're looking for specifically exists, but the best place to check and ask around is the wargame forums here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/

Someone here is BOUND to be able to point you in a direction and maybe even answer your questions about Silent War more precisely.

There's a fun little travel sized WWII solitare convoy game here for downloading and printing. It's actually fun to take with you on a long trip (I've played this quite a bit on trips while my wife was driving). All you need is print outs of the playing sheet, a pencil, and 1-2 six sided dice.

http://www.angelfire.com/games2/warpspawn/MaltaC.html
Those look great! Do you own the AH Submarine game? I think I've seen it before, but I've never played it before.
Old 06-08-08, 02:28 PM   #18
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

I do own a copy of Submarine. It's an EXCELLENT game. It's only flaw is that it requires you to play with a truthful opponent like Battleship does. Either that or a third party referee like Harpoon4, Command at Sea, and Fear God and Dreadnout does.
Old 06-08-08, 03:06 PM   #19
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight
I do own a copy of Submarine. It's an EXCELLENT game. It's only flaw is that it requires you to play with a truthful opponent like Battleship does. Either that or a third party referee like Harpoon4, Command at Sea, and Fear God and Dreadnout does.
You mean the AI cheats!?!:rotfl:
Old 06-09-08, 02:59 AM   #20
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

I honestly have never played Submarine with a player who cheated. It depends on your opponent. Reason being.. Uboat movements are hidden. The sub player writes his moves down on paper. It's up to him to tell the surface ship player wether or not he's dropping his depth charges and hedgehogs in the right places.
Old 07-08-08, 12:03 PM   #21
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

I'd love to see a game played out. It'd be interesting to see how the game flows.
Old 07-09-08, 10:35 PM   #22
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Here's some session reports from a player at Boardgamegeek.com:

Quote:
This was my first time playing Submarine, so it took a little while to get things rolling. After flipping through the rules a couple times, I felt I had enough of a clue to get started. I played the basic game, scenario 1, which was 1 German submarine against 12 British Merchant Men. The goal was for the German to gain 27 victory points within 20 turns. The first couple of turns went rather slowly, as I had to keep checking the rules to verify what I was doing. Since there wasn't a lot involved in this scenario, I quickly began breezing through it. The British side invloved almost no planning, as they had no firepower and their movement was determined by a die roll. The German side was a little more involved, as I had to plot movement, resolve surface firing(when applicable), and launch torpedos. I put strategy aside on the first couple of German turns and just moved the sub around, also changing the depth. Just for kicks, I also launched a torpedo. By a stroke of luck, the torpedo struck a British ship 2 turns later, doing enough damage to render the ship dead in the water. I resurfaced and finished it off with surface guns. Sinking that particular ship was worth 27 victory points, but I had to subtract one point for launching the torpedo. I then got in line with a weaker Merchant ship, hoping to sink it with my surface guns. After several failed attacks, I had to start launching torpedos, knowing the more powerful weapons would be my only chance of sinking another ship by the end of the game. The game came down to the 20th and final turn. The Germans had one torpedo launched, which meant it had to hit and sink a target in order for a victory. Fortunately for the Germans, the British die roll resulted in one of their weaker ships running into the torpedo. Upon checking the various charts, I determined that a die roll of 1-4 would result in a hit, which would sink the ship. I rolled a 3, claiming victory for the Germans at the last possible moment.

Quote:
Time to try scenario 2. This was virtually the same as the first scenario, however, this time it was the American submarine versus a Japanese convoy. In addition, the Japanese merchantmen had weaponry available. Having played the game once before, I was able to get set up and into the game quickly. Once again, the convoy's movement was determined by a die roll, so all I had to worry about was the submarie. I decided to head towards the convoy, with the plan of trying to quickly take out a tanker, worth 27 of the needed 41 victory points. Unfortunately, I surfaced right in the middle of 3 Japanese ships, which unloaded their surface guns on my sub, doing enough damage to force it to stay surfaced. Now, the plan was to get away from the convoy and launch a few torpedos along the way. This plan was short lived, as the Japanese guns continued to find their mark. Out of desperation, I plotted to launch several more torpedos, hoping for a miracle. But, it was not to be as the Japanese once again hit their mark, sinking my sub and ending the game.
Quote:
Scenario 2, Round 2. Once again, I decided to play scenario 2, hoping to make up for the rough outing last time. Having played the game twice before, I was able to form a strategy this time, something that always helps in a wargame. My submarine started out ahead of the convoy, heading toward them. I quickly submerged, allowing me to sneak past with out drawing the Japanese fire. Knowing the the Japanese had no rear guns, I planned to come up behind the convoy, surface, and wreak havoc without the fear of return fire. Unfortunately, I surface just a little to soon, still in range of 2 Japanese ships. However, only one scored a hit and I quickly got behind them, having sustained minimal damage. Now, it was time to play out my original strategy of weakening the Japanese with my surface guns, and finishing them with my torpedos. I scored numerous hits with my surface guns, rendering 3 ships dead in the water. My torpedos had limited success, with only a few actually finding their mark. But, those that did connect came up big, sinking 2 merchantmen, as well as a valuable tanker. These three ships were worth 42 victory points(41 were needed to win), but with each torpedo launched, I had to subtract 1 v.p., dropping me to 36. Fortunately for the Americans, each of the Japanese ships that were dead in the water were also good for some v.p.'s, bringing my total up to 47, and claiming victory for the Americans!
And a review from the same guy:
Quote:
Please note: I have currently only played the basic version of this game. Therefore, that is the version this review is based on. Also, this is my first review. I am open to constructive criticism.
During a recent Ebay buying spree, I picked up several Avalon Hill games. Out of them, Submarine looked to have the most potential. The aspect that intrigued me the most was the combat. Firing depth charges and launching torpedos across the board, hoping to score a hit, sounded like a nice change from the usual "surround an enemy counter, add up the strength points, and roll the dice". After playing a few rounds, I decided that it is a nice change. Instead of every attack having an effect, torpedos often miss and depth charges can be avoided. This can at times be frustrating, but it adds quite a bit. Instead of simply overwhelming an enemy unit, you have to anticipate their movement, launch your weapons accordingly, and hope for a little luck. It also makes scoring a hit more exciting.
Gameplay moves pretty quickly, despite the fact that movement, as well as firing weapons, has to be logged. Although, from turn to turn, there isn't a whole lot of logging that has to be done. Most of the paperwork comes in the initial set up, when you fill out the ship information on your log. Even that doesn't take much time, as the information is laid out well on the ship charts. Also, there aren't a lot of units to keep track of, which speeds things up.
The rules are pretty easy to pick up, although they could have been laid out a bit better. Early on, I found myself flipping through the rulebook more then with most games. But, after playing a few times, I found that I had a pretty good feel for the rules and seldom had to consult the rulebook.
At this point, my biggest complaint would be the fact that there aren't a lot of scenarios with the game. Although I will say that the ones included are set up well. Each one gets progressively mor involved, taking what you learned from the previous one and adding an element or two. For example, scenario 1 has the submarine trying to sink several ships that are part of a convoy. The convoy has no firepower, so its a matter of moving the sub around and trying to score some torpedo hits. Scenario 2 is almost the same, however, the convoy has some ability to fight back. The introductory scenarios are set up for solitaire play, but most of them can be adapted for 2 players as well.
The components are standard Avalon Hill. Cardboard chits that are more functional then fashionable, and 3 hard mounted mapboards. As this game takes place in the ocean, all 3 mapboards are identical. That is, solid blue, with a few greenish lines here and there. Not very exciting to look at, but certainly realistic.
Overall, Submarine is an enjoyable game. The basic rules offer enough to make for a fun, strategic game that isn't too involved, while the advanced and optional rules add quite a bit of depth. Since there are usually copies available of Ebay, Submarine makes a nice, yet inexpensive addition to a collection.
I played the snot out of this game back when I was younger.
Old 07-10-08, 03:46 AM   #23
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

That was pretty interesting. Was the game just u-boats or any submarine?
Old 07-10-08, 03:13 PM   #24
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

I just pulled the game out of my closet..

From the rulebook:
Quote:
A Do-Your-Own section shows players how to set up their own actions with submarine and anti submarine vessels of all major combatants including France, Italy, and Russia as well as the U.S., Britain, Japan, and Germany.
Old 10-06-08, 03:02 AM   #25
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

So Neal, are we gonna play this at the meetin'?:hmm:
Old 12-05-08, 01:59 AM   #26
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

bump
Old 12-29-08, 06:22 PM   #27
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

I'd love to buy this, but I don't have anybody to play with.