SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-15-23, 09:06 AM   #1
gmetzo
Seaman

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0
Default H.Sie's patcher fails to recognise genuine sh3.exe

I have SH3 both in steam and also in ubisoft installed in different folders outside of C: of course. I use a different SSD for all my games.

As per the title H.Sie's fantastic little patcher refuses to acknowledge my genuine sh3.exe and fails to patch it.

What's even more funny is that some time ago , the patcher worked just fine.

I've tried complete re-installs to get a clean sh3 installation + reboot. Patcher keeps saying the same thing over and over again.

Sorry, no compatible version of sh3.exe found
Patching not possible! Exit.

If someone could help me out with this one , I'd appreciate it a lot. After all H.Sie's patch is probably the most important mod for this game.
Old 12-16-23, 02:51 AM   #2
Fluffysheap
Bosun

Downloads: 8

To hazard a guess, your patcher can't find either the sh3 executable or its own executable. Steam hasn't changed the game files in a decade. I just did this patch with the Steam version last month.

Remember the instructions: unpack the patcher, then copy sh3.exe into the patcher directory. I would also recommend running Patch_SH3.bat from a command prompt, changing to its directory first, rather than double clicking it.
Fluffysheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-23, 05:28 AM   #3
gmetzo
Seaman

Downloads: 139

I ended up just using Fifi's .exe and it worked perfectly.
I don't suppose it's an issue with not following proper procedure. I just unziped the H.Sie files in a dedicated folder and moved the .exe in there. Original steam .exe can't be patched. Fifi's .exe can be patched fine.
Even though I love this game it really grinds my gears sometimes.
Old 12-22-23, 04:59 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Steam has some strange licensing stuff attached to the SH3 executable file, and can fail because of that. Also, you do have to make certain that the file is write-enabled, which involves right-clicking the SH3.exe file, and choosing Properties at the bottom of the context menu. On the first General tab is Attributes at the bottom, with a "Read-only" tick box, which as to be clear. There might be a checkmark in that box, so just click on it to clear it. However, the Steam game can be problematic for certain aspects of SH3, especially if you're in a Program Files folder.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-24, 12:28 PM   #5
4H_Ccrashh
Helmsman

Downloads: 472

Not sure about the Steam version of the game but I just completed an SH3 installation using my old DVD version of the game from 2005 and ran into the same issue.

My answer was I forgot to update Silent hunter III FIRST with the game patch to ver 1.4B.

Then I applied the HSIE patch.

Also,, after updating the game to ver 1.4b I had to apply the HSIE before anything else. If you apply the 4gig memory patch prior to HSIE it will not see a correct version of the game.

Here is a link to get that file. https://www.mediafire.com/file/dvrtf...4b_us.rar/file

Hope this helps.
4H_Ccrashh is offline   Reply With Quote