SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-22, 10:41 AM   #16
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

That truly is something! Congratulations! I feel old now.
Old 01-31-22, 11:01 AM   #17
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 343

Congratulations!
Old 02-08-22, 01:29 PM   #18
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I think I signed up in 1999 but lost my login stuff after a few years doing other stuff and came back as Rockstar. My old email was mindspring.com

What I remember about when I first signed up was everyone marveling that Skybird had over 2,000 posts when most barely broke over 500. He’s also toned it down some too, remember when people would get ticked off at him because his responses to anything would always contain days worth of reading.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-22, 04:20 PM   #19
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

For those who weren't aware of the near disaster in Oct 2020, I have updated the SUBSIM History with a summary, starting October 2020.

TLR It was really stressful!

Quote:
Oct. 12, 2020 - Neal and other users get a Malwarebytes warning of a possible issue when accessing the site. Neal shuts down the site and contacts Steven Ciaburri, System administrator and owner of Rack911, the service used for the SUBSIM servers since May 2012. Although Steven was a server ninja and always managed to fix any hairy problems in the past, over the last few years Steven had become less and less responsive when contacted for support. In this case, 48 hours pass without action and Neal engages another server security firm to do a full scan of the server. The third party security team spends 6 hours checking and gets Malwarebytes Security involved. It turns out to be a common false alarm, there was never any kind of hazard or risk for users of the site. Both the security team and Malwarebytes gives the server a 100% secure rating.

Oct 24-30, 2020 - Neal decides that Steven Ciaburri has mentally checked out and is obviously no longer professionally involved with his company and customers. Neal decides it’s time to move the site to a more active and reliable host before something happens that cannot be recovered. After a lengthy evaluation, he chooses Liquid Web and a complete migration is performed. The forum is upgraded to the latest 3.8.11 version by Dave at technidev.com and all functionality restored.

Since the legacy Content Management System is no longer supported or updated and will not function with the newest php, Neal converts the main page to the standard WordPress system and moves the news and forum archive to a satellite site, subsim.site.

Oct 31, 2020 - After a week of intensive work the migration and upgrades are complete.

Nov 3, 2020 – After two weeks out of communication, Rack911 replies to the support ticket entered in mid-October:
Sorry for the issues. Where do we stand here?
Regards,
Steven Ciaburri
Sr. System administrator

Neal replies that it is no longer an issue since Subsim is now hosted on Liquid Web and wishes Steven well....

Nov 18, 2020 – Two weeks later, Neal receives this email from Rack911:
Rack911 Customers,

I regret to inform you there has been a fatal accident involving Steve, some of you are already aware and some of you may not be. My name is Jon Juliano I have been a friend of Steve’s for many years so I’m taking this task to reach out to all of you to ensure your transition is as smooth as possible whether you have hosted servers or strictly server management. Steve was a very talented individual and well respected in the hosting industry so it would be a tough task to find his replacement, that being said I have chosen an individual with equal respect and talent in the hosting industry that would be able to provide you assistance if you choose. I will leave my contact info below as well as Scott Mcintyre with admingeekz.com. Please don’t hesitate to reach out for any concerns or questions. As for servers hosted with Rack911 this is a very time sensitive issue we do not have control over the Inter connects so all migrations need to be done ASAP.

Best Regards,
Jon Juliano

Scott Mcintyre
www.admingeekz.com

It appears the disaster and lack of support from Rack911 was a blessing in disguise since it prompted Neal to migrated SUBSIM from Rack911 a few weeks before Rack911 went under. Can you believe it?

Steven was a tremendous individual whose server skills were unmatched. He had apparently lost interest in Internet management and had become a serious diesel truck performance enthusiast. On Nov. 11, 2020 he was killed in a vehicle accident. He was 33. No other details can be found. While his lack of support at the end was regrettable, Steven had managed several crucial assists to the SUBSIM Team early on. He will be missed. RIP Steven.

Two years later and the Rack911 website is still up although it is no longer a business.
Old 02-08-22, 04:40 PM   #20
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

https://web.archive.org/web/20001018...ww.subsim.com/

At that time it seems my forum name was Kai, after a website change (where all names were lost) i became Fish, and after another forum change Fish was taken by some dutch guy, so i changed it to Catfish.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000816...n.olm.net/ssr/

I guess my first 'Login' must have been at 1997 or so. Or a bit earlier, at deepdomain/olmnet?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 02-08-22 at 04:51 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-22, 11:49 PM   #21
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 7

truly a remarkable achievement and one that has stood the test of time so here is to the next 25 years

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-22, 12:03 AM   #22
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
https://web.archive.org/web/20001018...ww.subsim.com/

At that time it seems my forum name was Kai, after a website change (where all names were lost) i became Fish, and after another forum change Fish was taken by some dutch guy, so i changed it to Catfish.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000816...n.olm.net/ssr/

I guess my first 'Login' must have been at 1997 or so. Or a bit earlier, at deepdomain/olmnet?
Man, Kai, olm.net, that was really the beginning!

Actually, I think the first url was something like www.computron.net/~nstevens/simreview5.html

And then it was http://www.brazosport.cc.tx.us/~nste...imreview5.html

olm.net came shortly after. So you were in on the ground floor, my friend.
Old 02-10-22, 07:05 AM   #23
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

The server couldn't contain all of Jim's posts and nearly melted down, like Fukushima?
Wow, hard to believe it's been that long!
Old 02-10-22, 09:32 AM   #24
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
The server couldn't contain all of Jim's posts and nearly melted down, like Fukushima?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-22, 04:32 AM   #25
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default Whack!

0 POINTS

This also represents a milestone for Whac-A-Squirrel, established in 2016 (can you believe it) which has been an important part of Subsim now for five (yes I said five) of those 25 years!

"That's remarkable... I have an ointment for that"
Old 05-15-22, 10:32 PM   #26
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

25 years wow don't seem like it I know I found subsim while looking for something for silent hunter ran submerged for a while then got hype up on a game that was going to be released ww2 online supposed to have subs then a search took me to wpl and joined here you guys been part of my life for long time the good and the bad