SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-29-17, 04:07 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Two things...

Lost a great career in USS Jack on third patrol in May 1944 due to circle run Mark 18 during night surface attack.

Issue is torpedo hits sub in game it should completely wreck the boat, it "only' sent hull damage to 60, left a large hole just behind forward torpedo room where it hit.Of course is so chose couldve made it back to port but I let the boat"sink"(ordered a dive, bow was low in water due to flooding) and considered myself KIA.

How to remedy this? Increasing torpedoes hit points is not a solution as it would make them too powerful against targets. Don't want to make the subs too delicate but perhaps are too armored? I recall playing with the .zon files I believe one time trying to make subs not so tough but not sure. Suggestions?

Second. I'd like to do some revamping of the crews. Eliminate most special abilities with exception of the battery charge(required in TMO) and the "Ahead Emergency" guy, that is a crewman who should always be available as well, push the boat hard for limited time when need to get away on surface.What do I need to change, which files? I've done some poking around but its confusing.

I would like to make it so dont get the same crew over and over when start new careers. Would like to raise the officer limit. Not have so many Ensigns on board.

Also, for some reason the collar insignia is backwards on the officers. Lieutenant's sporting butter bar's lol How to fix this?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 04:49 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

I've had good-sized holes punched in my boat from various sources, and haven't always sunk. I usually have to stay on the surface, and will usually end up "dead" anyway, but I have made it "home" before like that. The one time, I got the same boat back, which should not have been. It would have been "totaled" in RL. The other time, I received "disciplinary action" and lost my command altogether, in spite of a great six-patrol career to that point... Stuff a few mattresses in that hole mister, and try to get back home! - Like you suggest though, a Type 18 should probably have taken the front of the boat off... what was that one sub though, that had to have it's whole bow replaced after making it back?... ?? ...

The uniforms are in the Textures folders, in pieces. Find yourself a DDS thumbnail viewer (Sage Thumbs??) to make things easier to "see". I do not recall if the insignia is part of the uniforms... The UPCData / UPCCrewData folders (or the GE equivalents) have the other stuff you want, a folder to each aspect. You'd have to build your own "rotation" routine for the names, or just have a couple-three files in there named ".bak1" 2 or 3, each with their own set of names, and rotate them by renaming them yourself between Careers.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 07:28 PM   #3
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1795
Uploads: 0

That would have been the Growler there PropB.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 08:17 PM   #4
propbeanie

Thanks. Memory refuses to serve, and Google doesn't give very good hits with ambiguity...

Old 05-29-17, 08:27 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
That would have been the Growler there PropB.
Yep Growler rammed a ship.Little different than a Mark 18 torpedo slamming into the side.
Old 05-29-17, 10:05 PM   #6
J0313
Grey Wolf

And if I recall the skipper of that boat received the Medal of Honor posthumously. I cant recall his name right now but I think it started with a " C ".
Old 05-29-17, 10:07 PM   #7
J0313
Grey Wolf

The men back then were made of different stuff. Truly the greatest generation.
Old 05-30-17, 08:46 AM   #8
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
And if I recall the skipper of that boat received the Medal of Honor posthumously. I cant recall his name right now but I think it started with a " C ".
Lt. Commander Howard Gilmore
Old 05-30-17, 11:23 AM   #9
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Quote:
Gilmore, who was heavily wounded, yelled "Take her down", sacrificing himself on the bridge to save his boat.

He was definitely, 'The Right Stuff'
Old 06-01-17, 02:55 PM   #10
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I've had good-sized holes punched in my boat from various sources, and haven't always sunk. I usually have to stay on the surface, and will usually end up "dead" anyway, but I have made it "home" before like that. The one time, I got the same boat back, which should not have been. It would have been "totaled" in RL. The other time, I received "disciplinary action" and lost my command altogether, in spite of a great six-patrol career to that point... Stuff a few mattresses in that hole mister, and try to get back home! - Like you suggest though, a Type 18 should probably have taken the front of the boat off... what was that one sub though, that had to have it's whole bow replaced after making it back?... ?? ...

The uniforms are in the Textures folders, in pieces. Find yourself a DDS thumbnail viewer (Sage Thumbs??) to make things easier to "see". I do not recall if the insignia is part of the uniforms... The UPCData / UPCCrewData folders (or the GE equivalents) have the other stuff you want, a folder to each aspect. You'd have to build your own "rotation" routine for the names, or just have a couple-three files in there named ".bak1" 2 or 3, each with their own set of names, and rotate them by renaming them yourself between Careers.

I'm still trying to understand about how to get different crews.How do you eliminate certain special abilities? Everytime I make a mod changing these files and try to enable jsgme, it causes game to CTD or freeze.
Old 06-01-17, 04:42 PM   #11
propbeanie

I commented the lines out (??) in that one upc file... SpecialAbilities.upc... I think. Or did I zero the numbers??... I'll have to look. It's been a while since I did it.