SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-24-22, 03:18 PM   #1
DeutscheQuality
Seaman

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 0
Default Crazy ideia

I was thinking about the immersion in Silent Hunter 4 and how it could be used for role playing. A discord server where people start playing in the same year, and send their patrols report. Or perhaps, one day some one create a subsim like Silent Hunter 4 but with multiplayer, with two or three submarines operating simultaneously. But the time compression is always a problem. Maybe the dead Silent Hunter Online was something like this, never played it
DeutscheQuality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 03:29 PM   #2
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutscheQuality View Post
I was thinking about the immersion in Silent Hunter 4 and how it could be used for role playing. A discord server where people start playing in the same year, and send their patrols report. Or perhaps, one day some one create a subsim like Silent Hunter 4 but with multiplayer, with two or three submarines operating simultaneously. But the time compression is always a problem. Maybe the dead Silent Hunter Online was something like this, never played it
That used to be popular back in the day, around the SH2 Pacific mod timeframe, if I remember correctly. What this game needs, desperate for, is an SH3 Commander tailored for the Pacific War. Crewmember changes, equipment failures would do wonders for immersion.
Old 01-24-22, 03:37 PM   #3
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Having been a player of SHO, as most referred to it by... can tell you, that a SHO skipper's wolfpacking it, wasn't relegated to them, all being on the same page, year wise... so much... as the ability to wolfpack was.

Could be in a Type II & others in the wolf pack could be rolling with... Type VII's or Type IX's... which as I recall were available... think there was Type XXI & XXIII's, in the workup to them... but... can't swear to that, 100% with any surety... as it was a bit back since then.
Whole basis was... completing objectives, which unlocked a multitude of available plans for getting access to improved U-boats, crew... bunker space... even access to improved torps... each stage opening up more options for objectives that were further out into the open water's... following the general progression of the war... an almost... SH3 open world experience but 1 in which wolfpacking was the main focus...

If I recall, SHO... closed out, 12/ 2016... as I recall. A shame, as for a browser based set up, it wasn't too terrible of a concept.

I do, however feel... it would have been better served, had Ubi, gone with instead... a launcher-based approach... similar in scope to... say... Star Trek Online or Star Wars The Old Republic... or god forbid My even saying this... but... in a World of Warcraft, manner... but, better in scope as STO or SWTOR.

Hope this info helps... on understanding better about SHO... from a former SHO player's perspective.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 01-25-22 at 12:05 AM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 09:06 PM   #4
DeutscheQuality
Seaman

Downloads: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Having been a player of SHO, as most referred to it by... can tell you, that a SHO skipper's wolfpacking it, wasn't relegated to them, all being on the same page, year wise... so much... as the ability to wolfpack was.

Could be in a Type II & others in the wolf pack could be rolling with... Type VII's or Type IX's... which as I recall were available... think there was Type XXI & XXIII's, in the workup to them... but... can't swear to that, 100% with any surety... as it was a bit back since then.
Whole basis was. completing objectives, which unlocked a multitude of available plans for getting access to improved U-boats, crew... bunker space... even access to improved torps... each stage opening up more options for objectives that were further out into the open water's... following the general progression of the war... an almost... SH3 open world experience but 1 in which wolfpacking was the main focus...

If I recall, SHO... closed out, 12/ 2016... as I recall. A shame, as for a browser based set up, it wasn't too terrible of a concept.

I do, however feel... it would have been better served, had Ubi, gone with instead... a launcher-based approach... similar in scope to... say... Star Trek Online or Star Wars The Old Republic... or god forbid My even saying this... but... in a World of Warcraft, manner... but, better in scope as STO or SWTOR.

Hope this info helps... on understanding better about SHO... from a former SHO player's perspective.
As you have mention Star Wars The Old Republic, have you played Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic? Just curious
DeutscheQuality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 12:04 AM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
As you have mention Star Wars The Old Republic, have you played Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic? Just curious
Both of those, to be exact... & still have a copy of them knocking about on My hard drive. And still play them, every once in a while.

M. M.
Old 01-25-22, 05:38 AM   #6
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

That existed in the 20th century (!!!!) with SH1, the PTO Campaign in Subsowespac.org.

You received orders to patrol an area and reported your successes. Not multiplayer. And there was some little programs to report, maps, etc.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-22, 10:13 AM   #7
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
That existed in the 20th century (!!!!) with SH1, the PTO Campaign in Subsowespac.org.

You received orders to patrol an area and reported your successes. Not multiplayer. And there was some little programs to report, maps, etc.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
This was it.