SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-28-08, 04:33 PM   #646
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I could never make models or anything either but i have tweaked files . I cannot wait for the plethora of new models from talented modders using this tool .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 04:46 PM   #647
DeepIron
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
If there isnt any help file or instructions what good is it???
If S3D is too much for you, consider the way it was done before... with a HEX EDITOR! S3D is an incredibly useful tool and saves hours of work! Skwasjer has given the modding community an incredible tool IMO...

Quote:
I was tring to read all 40 pages of the post and was getting a headache and falling asleep.
Then don't read all 40 pages at one time. Try taking it in little by little... It's an evolving process, being contributed to by a number of people...

Quote:
It took me 3 or 4 months to learn the mini-tweaker so I dont see much hope for this...I wanted to add more torpedos,dont think I will ever be able to do it.....
Well, if you start with an attitude that "I can't" then you're right, you won't... You're not going to "get it" right away... Modding takes time and patience and testing, repeat as necessary. The upside is that you learned the mini-tweaker right? So what if it takes 3 or 4 months? What's the rush?

I've been working on building "from scratch" SH4 vessels for several months and I'm still not there... yet. But I'm not going to "throw in the towel". S3D has saved me hours of work, and I'm learning the processes just like you are, and like so many other SH modders.

So, quit yer squawkin' and git to moddin'...
RFB Loadout: RFB_V1.52_102408: RFB_V1.52_Patch_111608: RSRDC_RFBv15_V396
DeepIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 05:23 PM   #648
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Hi clayp, no, unfortunately there's not alot of documentation regarding S3D. Then again, if I have to choose to write documentation or add a new feature, the choice is simple. I am a developer and not a writer. I try to do my best to explain new features here and in the changelogs, and most people seem to pick it up fairly soon.

That said, if you feel 40 pages is a long read, I can assure you a manual for S3D will be longer if I would cover every single thing that it can do in easy language. Everybody that uses it now has been in the same boat (pun intended) as you are now. We all had to learn about the game, and about tools, including myself (and I still don't know everything nor will I ever probably). You have to start somewhere. The later you start, the more difficult it will become. As S3D develops, it can do more, and thus becomes more complex. This is an unfortunate side effect of all software, but there's nothing I can do about it.

My advice is simple: read threads, ask questions, and try.. try.. try.. We all do it. So can you.
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 09:38 PM   #649
clayp
The Old Man

Downloads: 340
I'll give it a try.... The problem is I'm in bad health..One problem is very bad diabetes and my eyes are bad...

clayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 07:22 PM   #650
The Hornet
Watch

Ok something weird happens whenever I edit a 3D model and import it, the model is placed below the water and invisible, I have tried to find out what I did wrong but have had no sucess. Can someone tell me my mistake?

Using Wings3D
The Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 08:58 PM   #651
ref
Grey Wolf

Try to reverse the polygons normals before exporting them as obj, the picture is too small and a bit dark to give a better advice.

Ref
Old 05-05-08, 07:13 PM   #652
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Thanks allot swasjer for use of your editor. Even though I still had to use Hex Workshop to recheck the work (since the editor is still in Beta), the editor saved me time and made it easier to focus on making the additions to my mod rather than working with numbers.

I should've known better that I needed to cross reference parent id's when matching ammo with a particular weapon. Brain cramp. LOL!
Snaptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 07:26 PM   #653
haegemon
Medic

Downloads: 12

Such a huge work.. :hmm:
What will be the next step?
haegemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 07:57 PM   #654
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by haegemon
Like you said before the edit; it should be a STICKY!!! He did a fantastic job with the editor and made modding more accessible to those with none or little hex editing knowledge. A see allot more people creating mods because of people like skwasjer.

If this doesn't become a sticky soon, I'll...... I'll...... run my sub into a K-Mart.
Snaptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 08:26 PM   #655
cheese123
Gunner

Downloads: 1

How do you change the index number of a node?
cheese123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 03:36 AM   #656
skwasjer
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaptrap
Thanks allot swasjer for use of your editor. Even though I still had to use Hex Workshop to recheck the work (since the editor is still in Beta), the editor saved me time and made it easier to focus on making the additions to my mod rather than working with numbers.
Glad you like

Quote:
Originally Posted by haegemon
Well, a model viewer is one thing I have been working on for some time. It's not ready enough for release though, but in some time it will. I may extend this afterwards to show nested nodes/models, and also to view damage zones.

There's also work left in the animations department (mesh/characters).

Truth be told, these two features will pretty much mark the end of the development for me. I have to stop somewhere... Afterwards, I probably will still add new stuff as time permits, but I won't work as active on it as I have the past year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese123
How do you change the index number of a node?
Click on the up/down buttons (with the green arrows) to move a node up or down in the index-order by one step.
Old 05-06-08, 07:46 AM   #657
Nauticalwolf
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 5

skwasjer,

Help..... please

I have been successfully running your s3d program for the past couple of weeks - building the sub base for pearl harbour.

Work was progressing well if not a little slow as I have been building the sub base by just calculating the required co-ordinates for the various objects.

Last Friday night I shut down my system and on Saturday morning when I tried to open s3d I got the following error message.

Since then I have stripped .net Framework from my system, reinstalled only net 2.0 patched, uninstalled reinstalled - net framework, various firewalls, directX, s3d and again net framework - two or three more times and still - no joy on getting s3d to run.

I'm currently thinking of formatting my 2 terra byte system and reinstalling windows from scratch.... going a little nuts here.

I understand the error message being a clr20r3 is a net framework error with the system.configuration dll.

P1 application
P2 version
P3 time stamp
P4 assembly/module
P5 assembly/module version
P6 assembly/module time stamp
P7 method
P8 IL offset
P9 unhandled exception

I can't understand why its been working great and then - nothing

Please help if you can, I cant think of anything else to try

We're here to protect Democracy - not practice it!
Nauticalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 08:33 AM   #658
skwasjer
The Old Man

Seems like the config file got corrupted.

Which version(s) do you currently have installed? (the CLR field (P2) is another version field, not the one I need to know about)

Try this:
  • Open up the following folder:

Documents And Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data
  • Open the subfolder 'skwas'
  • Delete the subfolders in there (they should start with S3D in the name)
  • Restart S3D
The above steps will remove a couple of configuration files S3D uses. It will recreate them when restarting the app.

Let me know, you can try another thing if this doesn't work.

PS: No need to reinstall, I'm sure this can be fixed manually.
Old 05-06-08, 09:06 AM   #659
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18
Default finaly

Finally !
Skwasjer, I think I might've made it : I managed to fit all the parts into one map and import it using your beautiful tool into a 9dx2 .dat : see below :

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 03:46 PM   #660
Nauticalwolf
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 5

skwasjer,

I don't believe there are enough words to adequately say - thank you.

So I will just say thank you, thank you, thank you and again thank you.

s3d is an amazing modding tool, and its creator even more so.

We're here to protect Democracy - not practice it!
Nauticalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote