SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-22-22, 04:10 PM   #1
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92
Uploads: 0
Default Things that irk me

I ventured into the harbor at Truk and found many juicy capital ships and sank numerous including a carrier. Out of torpedoes I went back to Pearl then came back. The same ships I sank were there reincarnated for me to have a turkey shoot again. Another thing that irks me, in most of these harbors the destroyers must have all their crews on sleeping pills. The only way they attack you is if they spot you on the surface, they'll shoot at you. They just sit there.
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 07:31 PM   #2
LUKNER
Torpedoman

Downloads: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
I ventured into the harbor at Truk and found many juicy capital ships and sank numerous including a carrier. Out of torpedoes I went back to Pearl then came back. The same ships I sank were there reincarnated for me to have a turkey shoot again. Another thing that irks me, in most of these harbors the destroyers must have all their crews on sleeping pills. The only way they attack you is if they spot you on the surface, they'll shoot at you. They just sit there.
The force of action is equal to the force of reaction. Then it's fun to play. In the Silent Service mod, an attack on the Trukt atoll, if there is no maximum depth under the keel, ends badly for the player. Even knowing how port traffic works, I don’t risk entering these waters because for a submarine it should always end in a mousetrap. Even if he got there and drowned someone.
LUKNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-22, 12:02 AM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:

The traffic is most likely from the japanese harbor traffic file and is random generated, so it respawns every so often, after player leaves area, so you return and its back. This was done I am sure so there is always "life" to Truk harbor.

I disliked this aspect of SH 4 as well, so in TMO I did away with major ships spawning and respawning, the carriers, BB's, CA's are only present roughly when they actually were. I also made them only spawn once, so if manage to sink a carrier in Truk, that carrier will not respawn. If same class is there later, its representing another carrier, but not the same unit.

Furthermore, I made it a death trap (as it would have been) to actually operate inside Truk Atoll in a submarine. Mines, Nets, Elite ASW, and local air patrols. I designed the defense and ever with my knowledge, I've survived once out of five attempts in testing and boat was heavily damaged. In real life, would not have made it. I did slip inside the reef on surface during the chaos of the Feb 1944 air strikes (HAILSTONE) to rescue a downed aircrew in raft, as I had watched a TBF crew bail out, but they were just inside the reef and no enemy vessels were around (well, one was nearby on fire and sinking from air strikes). I hung around a few to see if could rescue anymore down inside the reef, picked up a downed F6F pilot but came under heavy shore battery fire (luckily all missed) and a DE type came rushing in a high speed luckily I was able to haul a** out of there before actually spotted me, was just responding to sighting report. I did not risk being submerged due to shallow waters, and mines/obstacles.

Even if make it inside the reef , unlikely to make it out.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 11:19 AM   #4
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
The traffic is most likely from the japanese harbor traffic file and is random generated, so it respawns every so often, after player leaves area, so you return and its back. This was done I am sure so there is always "life" to Truk harbor.

I disliked this aspect of SH 4 as well, so in TMO I did away with major ships spawning and respawning, the carriers, BB's, CA's are only present roughly when they actually were. I also made them only spawn once, so if manage to sink a carrier in Truk, that carrier will not respawn. If same class is there later, its representing another carrier, but not the same unit.

Furthermore, I made it a death trap (as it would have been) to actually operate inside Truk Atoll in a submarine. Mines, Nets, Elite ASW, and local air patrols. I designed the defense and ever with my knowledge, I've survived once out of five attempts in testing and boat was heavily damaged. In real life, would not have made it. I did slip inside the reef on surface during the chaos of the Feb 1944 air strikes (HAILSTONE) to rescue a downed aircrew in raft, as I had watched a TBF crew bail out, but they were just inside the reef and no enemy vessels were around (well, one was nearby on fire and sinking from air strikes). I hung around a few to see if could rescue anymore down inside the reef, picked up a downed F6F pilot but came under heavy shore battery fire (luckily all missed) and a DE type came rushing in a high speed luckily I was able to haul a** out of there before actually spotted me, was just responding to sighting report. I did not risk being submerged due to shallow waters, and mines/obstacles.

Even if make it inside the reef , unlikely to make it out.
did you leave the respawn feature on in TMOwTW? that's what I play, maybe I'll have to try regular TMO again, it kicks my behind a little too much. I suppose it would be too much to ask for something in between them?
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 11:36 AM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
did you leave the respawn feature on in TMOwTW? that's what I play, maybe I'll have to try regular TMO again, it kicks my behind a little too much. I suppose it would be too much to ask for something in between them?
I have never touched TMOwTW. If you want to try TMO again (make sure get my Update entitled TMO 2.5 Update BH) , I will do a quick fix on the sensors, which should make it less difficult, bit more tolerable for you until figure it out. Once do, if you want, can remove the mod via jsgme. Finding the balance is tough, always seems to go to way too easy or way too difficult.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote