Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 09-15-21, 07:13 PM   #1
RetroGamer
Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Icon14 M1 Tank Platoon II

Hello!

I am new to this forum but am a longtime tanksim player.

Recently, a neighbor gave me two old desktop PCs that he was about to discard. One of them is a 1999 IBM Aptiva with a 475 MHz processor. I cleaned it up and installed Win98, a Voodoo2 3Dfx card, and M1 Tank Platoon 2!

It’s a trick getting a decent game port compatible joystick to work correctly. It seems my really good USBCH 3D Pro Extreme will not work with this machine.

Just wondering - has anybody here “beaten” M1TP2? Completed all campaigns, training, etc?

I bought it when it came out but did not give it a chance. My computer was running XP at the time and I didn’t have a 3Dfx card so I couldn’t really get into it.

Well - now, I’m motivated! I’m gonna beat this thing! PC runs, 3D works, joystick works, REDCON-1!!!

Has anybody got any tips?

Old 09-15-21, 09:23 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

RetroGamer!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 04:08 PM   #3
RetroGamer
Mate

Icon14 Update

I just returned from extensive travel and just now got a little time in with M1 Tank Platoon 2. I also got my good USB joystick working with Win98. The old gameport joysticks aren’t of sufficient quality to work with this game. Just like in Steel Beasts, a good joystick is a requirement!

All basic training missions complete! Working on the advanced NTC training missions.

I’ll post my progress as I play this simulation. I hope to beat the whole thing before the end of October.
RetroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 08:40 PM   #4
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

This MPS game fares quite OK on Win10 using dgVoodoo and DXWnd. Gameplay is a little aged though. Gunship! has better tank AI actions but of course, you cannot fight there in the tank. Good Luck and give us your take and impression.
Polak2 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 11:06 PM   #5
RetroGamer
Mate

Default DXWnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
This MPS game fares quite OK on Win10 using dgVoodoo and DXWnd. Gameplay is a little aged though. Gunship! has better tank AI actions but of course, you cannot fight there in the tank. Good Luck and give us your take and impression.
Yes, I looked into DXWnd and trying to get it to run that way but it was just too much. Plus, I only have Win7 on my best desktop. I will probably do it on my next PC.

And - coincidentally, I have been watching YouTube videos of Gunship! That title is also tailor-made for this PC so I can foresee buying a copy on eBay eventually as well.

The fun of this project is actually having a 22 year old computer to play the old game on. I had a lot of fun cleaning the PC up, re-pasting the CPU heatsink, installing a new CMOS battery, installing the 3Dfx card and even adding an “IBM blue” case fan to keep things cool in there.

I will definitely keep you guys posted. I’ll be working my way through the campaigns.

Last edited by RetroGamer; 10-01-21 at 11:15 PM.
RetroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-21, 05:27 AM   #6
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

Cannot argue with the draw of nice and warm nostalgia memories.
Polak2 is online   Reply With Quote