Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-23, 12:01 PM   #10531
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

Putin admits Western sanctions could hurt Russia’s economy
President Vladimir Putin has conceded that Western sanctions designed to starve the Kremlin of funds for its invasion of Ukraine could deal a blow to Russia’s economy.

“The illegitimate restrictions imposed on the Russian economy may indeed have a negative impact on it in the medium term,” Putin said in televised remarks Wednesday reported by state news agency TASS.

It is a rare admission by the Russian leader, who has repeatedly insisted that Russia’s economy remains resilient and that sanctions have hurt Western countries by driving up inflation and energy prices.

Putin said Russia’s economy had been growing since July, thanks in part to stronger ties with “countries of the East and South,” likely referring to China and some African countries. He also stressed the importance of domestic demand to the economy, saying it was becoming the leading driver of growth.

Russia’s economy has showed surprising resilience to unprecedented sanctions imposed by the West, including an EU ban on most imports of oil products. Preliminary estimates from the Russian government show that economic output shrank by 2.1% last year — a contraction more limited than many economists initially predicted.

Yet while China has thrown the Kremlin an economic lifeline by buying Russian energy and providing an alternative to the US dollar, cracks are starting to appear.

The Russian government’s revenue plunged 35% in January compared with a year ago, while expenditures jumped 59%, leading to a budget deficit of about 1,761 billion rubles ($23.3 billion).

The World Bank and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development are forecasting contractions of 3.3% and 5.6%, respectively, in 2023. The International Monetary Fund expects Russia’s growth to remain flat this year, but for the economy to shrink by at least 7% in the medium term.

In response to Russia’s aggression in Ukraine, Western countries have announced more than 11,300 sanctions since the February 2022 invasion, and frozen some $300 billion of Russia’s foreign reserves.

An outspoken Russian oligarch, Oleg Deripaska, said earlier this month that Russia could find itself with no money as soon as next year.

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-...e125839f555459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Old 03-30-23, 12:59 PM   #10532
Dargo
Admiral

Russia's tactical nuclear weapons have not even been tested since the end of the USSR. None of their military engineers have practical experience with them. They can only rely on manuals in the hope that those ancient nuclear bombs still work. Then they have to move them from one of the 12 arsenals in their country, which our satellites would see, and which would allow our leaders to apply immediate pressure. China is also not pleased with this, they declared that no nuclear weapons would be placed in other countries at their last meeting.

Quote:
Old 03-30-23, 01:10 PM   #10533
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
She must be very careful. Its not to be ruled out that she suddenly dissapears and then triumphantly gets presented at a Russian court again. She has been chosen to execute an example on her, and the propaganda triump for the regime would be even more complete if this "terrorist" gets shown to have been unable to escape and that Russia'S "justice" cannot be dodged by any fleeing "terrorist offender", no matter where.

When she fled I wonder why her husband did not flee with her? The regime could use him to put her under pressure.
Her father has been arrested in Minsk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65129231

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 03-30-23, 01:18 PM   #10534
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
Russia's tactical nuclear weapons have not even been tested since the end of the USSR. None of their military engineers have practical experience with them. They can only rely on manuals in the hope that those ancient nuclear bombs still work. Then they have to move them from one of the 12 arsenals in their country, which our satellites would see, and which would allow our leaders to apply immediate pressure. China is also not pleased with this, they declared that no nuclear weapons would be placed in other countries at their last meeting.
What about their latest developed nuclear missiles like the Satan II

Quote:
The RS-28 Sarmat (Russian: РС-28 Сармат; NATO reporting name: SATAN 2), is a Russian liquid-fueled, MIRV-equipped, super-heavy thermonuclear armed intercontinental ballistic missile in development by the Makeyev Rocket Design Bureau since 2009 intended to replace the previous R-36 missile. Its large payload would allow for up to 10 heavy warheads or 15 lighter ones or a combination of warheads and massive amounts of countermeasures designed to defeat anti-missile systems. It was heralded by the Russian military as a response to the U.S. Prompt Global Strike.[
Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online  
Old 03-30-23, 01:20 PM   #10535
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

US journalist Evan Gershkovich has been arrested in Russia and accused of spying while working for the Wall Street Journal.

An experienced Russia reporter, he was working in the city of Yekaterinburg at the time of his detention.

The White House has condemned his detention "in the strongest terms".

The Kremlin claimed he had been caught "red-handed" but the Wall Street Journal vehemently denied the allegations against him.

Mr Gershkovich, 31, is well known among foreign correspondents in Moscow and BBC Russia Editor Steve Rosenberg describes him as an excellent reporter and a highly principled journalist.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken echoed the Wall Street Journal in saying he was "deeply concerned" by the arrest. US officials said they had immediately sought access to Mr Gershkovich but had not had any response.

The WSJ said its reporter had dropped out of contact with his editors while working in Yekaterinburg, about 1,600km (1,000 miles) east of Moscow, on Wednesday afternoon.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65121885

Old 03-30-23, 01:29 PM   #10536
Dargo
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
What about their latest developed nuclear missiles like the Satan II

Markus
Putin said it will only deploy tactical nuclear weapons nuclear missiles were not mentioned and these are long ranged already in Kaliningrad Putin knows how to play the game moving the Satan II would be overkill and too dangerous for himself

Quote:
Old 03-30-23, 01:36 PM   #10537
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-30-23, 01:45 PM   #10538
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Her father has been arrested in Minsk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65129231
Isn't that another girl, two different stories? The girl of the father arrested in Minsk is in state custody, I heard on TV, a state-run "youth centre". Also, she is just 12 or so.
Old 03-30-23, 01:47 PM   #10539
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Putin said it will only deploy tactical nuclear weapons nuclear missiles were not mentioned and these are long ranged already in Kaliningrad Putin knows how to play the game moving the Satan II would be overkill and too dangerous for himself
And I who thought there's isn't the question on how strong the nuke is but where it is used.

If you use a 1.1 MT nuke on the battle field it's called tactical
If you use a 1.1 MT nuke on a city or other strategic targets-It's called strategic

I could be wrong thou, I'm taking it from memory(read it on a wiki page some years ago)

Markus

mapuc is online  
Old 03-30-23, 01:50 PM   #10540
Dargo
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Isn't that another girl, two different stories? The girl of the father arrested in Minsk is in state custody, I heard on TV, a state-run "youth centre". Also, she is just 12 or so.
This is the same case. "Authorities separated Masha from her father and placed her into a children's home, after the case began. She has not been seen in public since 1 March."

Quote:
Old 03-30-23, 01:53 PM   #10541
Dargo
Admiral

Quote:
And I who thought there's isn't the question on how strong the nuke is but where it is used.

If you use a 1.1 MT nuke on the battle field it's called tactical
If you use a 1.1 MT nuke on a city or other strategic targets-It's called strategic

I could be wrong thou, I'm taking it from memory(read it on a wiki page some years ago)

Markus
A tactical nuclear weapon is designed to be used on a battlefield in military situations generally smaller in explosive power, they are defined in contrast to strategic nuclear weapons, which are designed mostly to be targeted at the enemy interior far away from the war front against military bases, cities, towns, arms industries, and other hardened or larger-area targets to damage the enemy's ability to wage war

Quote:
Old 03-30-23, 02:04 PM   #10542
Skybird
Soaring

The one girl - with that picture she painted - is 11 or 12 years old and still goes to school, the other is 20 and married, and protested via internet. It cannot be the same girl.
Old 03-30-23, 02:10 PM   #10543
Skybird
Soaring

Markus,
on tactical nukes and nuclear war, I had posted these:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...nu#post2832008

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...nu#post2844539

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=7164
Old 03-30-23, 02:14 PM   #10544
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
A tactical nuclear weapon is designed to be used on a battlefield in military situations generally smaller in explosive power, they are defined in contrast to strategic nuclear weapons, which are designed mostly to be targeted at the enemy interior far away from the war front against military bases, cities, towns, arms industries, and other hardened or larger-area targets to damage the enemy's ability to wage war
I was thinking-Dargo seems to know more about this than I do-So I went back to make search for these type of nuclear

You were right on spot.

Markus

mapuc is online  
Old 03-30-23, 02:17 PM   #10545
Dargo
Admiral

Quote:
I was thinking-Dargo seems to know more about this than I do-So I went back to make search for these type of nuclear

You were right on spot.

Markus
Not knowledge I googled it

Quote:
Closed Thread