SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-09-15, 03:43 PM   #1
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453
Uploads: 0

Default Maybe we will see a Microsoft Linux distribution sometime in 2016

http://www.zdnet.com/article/not-a-t...certification/

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 05:01 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

That's very interesting, especially considering that Microsoft's strategy has consistently been proprietary data formats that evolve not to introduce new capabilities, but to prevent their use in other programs. Microsoft Excel, for instance, changed from .xls (already an exclusive proprietary format) to .xlsx in order to shut competing spreadsheets out of being able to load and modify spreadsheets made with Microsoft Excel.

Windows doesn't care about interoperability with the world either. Windows Explorer totally ignores any Linux disks attached to the system, even refusing the give them a drive letter.

This tells me the wheels have come off Microsoft's attempt to monopolize the server market and now, for the first time, are forced, in desparation, to play nice with the rest of the world! That is great news. But it doesn't mean that Microsoft is now wearing a white hat.

Now if they will switch the format of output files of all their business files to .ods and learn to non-destructively read and write ext2, ext3, ext4 and other disk formats, including Apple's I'll take them seriously about wanting to be good citizens of the computing world.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 12-09-15 at 05:16 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 05:05 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Sign this foul compromise only with my cold dead hand.

Trust has been totally and completely compromised. Why should I wish to have Microsoft messing with Linux? They will try to corrupt it - absolutely zero doubt on that. They could not annihilate it in open field battle, so to speak - now they want to infiltrate it and destroy it from within.

Also, if this "cooperaiton" turns out to be foul play - what alternative to Windows would users be left with then? Apple? Hilarious, they suffer from the same problems like Microsoft. Android? Google - nuff said.

Leave Linux alone.
Old 12-10-15, 05:35 PM   #4
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

The change from .xls to .xlsx or .doc to .docx, etc. was not to exclude other software from being compatible with MS Office. Rather, it was implemented when MS adapted MS Office to be compatible with and usable with the XML formats that came into being at the time; it was just MS denoting those documents were compatible with use in XML environments. I have taken some, if not all, of other publishers .doc or other file formats and easily open them and used them in MS Office. Likewise, I have had no apparent problems renaming a .docx file to .doc and opening them on other software such as Open Office, etc. The only downside is non-Office software will most often not support some of the formatting features such as XML used by MS, but, since the vast majority of users aren't really using the most "high-end" tech features of Office apps, the effect is virtually nil...

<O>
Old 12-10-15, 06:08 PM   #5
Red_88
Sailor man

Downloads: 250
Uploads: 6

Heaven Forbid! A microsoft Linux distribution is one of the last thing this world needs.

If microsoft really starts to mess linux up, I will migrate to freebsd.

funny is, that it would't the first time for microsoft to step a foot in the *nix world,
anyone remember XENIX? make me wonder how they want to call their Linux distribution, how about "Eunuchs" -> Eunux?
Red_88 is offline   Reply With Quote