SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-02-15, 07:20 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default After Microsoft, now nVidia kicks in users' doors, too

Just got it from German tech magazines, although it is no new news at all: Be advised everybody that from December on nVidia plans to link their gfx drivers to nVidia Experience pack and makes running Experience obligatory for driver updating - you can no longer opt out of it.

I tested Experience earlier this year, due to the Shadowplay feature (an inbuilt video recorder like Fraps or Bandicam), which as a feature worked nice indeed, BUT: the whole pack caused enormous stress on my HD. There was constant HD activity caused by it and a CPU load of 10%, although I had deactivated all available options for streaming and recording, also my settings to have game "optimizations" that experience resetted AND MESSED UP MY GAMES WITH (making them looking worse than better, and hampering fps), and what's more, that thing all the time phoned to the internet, if not home, than somewhere else, I do not know. I uninstalled it.

Also note that W10 makes nVidia driver updates by default mandatory as well, you cannot switch them off from within Windows UIpdates, but need to go into hardware manager and try your luck there. For some it works that way, for some it does not.

We have entered a new PC era mit seems. Companies reserve the right that if you do not let them in voluntarily, they are enforcing access against your will with blackmailing or simply brute force.

I liked nVidia cards, their drivers worked much better for me than the two occasions when I tried Radeon drivers long time again (two desasters that were). But my next gfx card will no longer be an nVidia one.

Options for my PC building and gaming - they fall like the flies. One reason more to run with two systems in the near future, one Windows and one Linux.

P.S.
Short before the official launch of W10, demo builds of W10 caused new nVidia drivers to be loaded. Problem was that that driver was working ill. It caused many tens of thousands of users a long weekend repairing their systems and deleting Windows10-$hit from their HD. Great customer service, Microsoft, nVidia!

But hooray - more power to the corporations.
Old 11-04-15, 01:27 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

When corporations forget their job is serving Customers and make their final goal the acquisition of money their doom is sure.

nVidia has a long history of making things right with customers and quickly fixing problems like you're encountering. I hope they fix it quickly, but if they don't and are simply seeking a way to extort the most money possible regardless of damage to their customers, somebody else will take their place, nVidia will just be an article on Wikipedia, and we won't even notice they're gone.

Customers ALWAYS get what they need eventually. Abusive corporations always lose.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 06:27 PM   #3
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

The only core motivation a private buisness has is to earn profit for it's owners. Other motivations are short and medium term detours in order to increase long term profits.
Old 11-04-15, 07:02 PM   #4
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
The only core motivation a private business has is to earn profit for it's owners.
Really? Many private business owners take pride in the services and products that they provide. Yes they have to make a profit, but not at the expense of alienating their customers. There is absolutely no reason that profit and customer satisfaction cannot both be achieved.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 07:42 PM   #5
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Really? Many private business owners take pride in the services and products that they provide. Yes they have to make a profit, but not at the expense of alienating their customers. There is absolutely no reason that profit and customer satisfaction cannot both be achieved.
Alienating customers would result in long term profit decrease. In case of small and micro buisnesses the owners also tend to be the employees, thus they receive both motivations.