SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-28-15, 02:13 PM   #1
jacobston
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0
Default Four year old ASUS laptop questions...

Hello,

As the title suggests, I just have some questions about my laptop. For starters, I also have a much better desktop computer, so this is basically my backup computer: I really only use it for doing work or bringing it to school.

My main issue is how much it has slowed down over the years. I'm not surprised: over the years it has been dropped, bumped, set on stuff and had stuff set on it. I just don't have the money to spend on another laptop at the moment, and want to see if I can get the most out of it before it finally dies.

I have been going through and getting rid of all the useless programs. I re-installed the OS and upgraded to windows 10, which helped the performance a lot, but it is still very sluggish. YouTube videos lag like crazy, and if I try to change the volume of screen brightness while watching a movie or listening to music, the whole system stutters.

I feel like this is likely a hardware problem. Unfortunately, I know a lot less about hardware than I do about software. If it helps, my system specs are as follows:

Processor: AMD C-60 APU (with Radeon HD graphics) 1.00GHz
RAM: 4GB (3.60 usable, according to the control panel)

If anybody has any advice on what I should do to improve performance, it would be much appreciated. As I said, I don't need to be able to play games here, I am just hoping to get it running a bit faster. At the same time, if there is nothing that can be done, that's OK to. It works for now and it has served well over the last four years.
jacobston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-15, 02:42 PM   #2
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Usually increasing the amount of RAM is the cheapest/easiest way to speed up a computers performance.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-15, 05:26 PM   #3
jacobston
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Thanks for the reply. I asked around on Reddit, and the general opinion there was to get an SSD, though that does seem expensive for the time being.

I also sucked some dust out from the inside, and made sure the RAM was not bumped loose or anything. By the looks of it, there is space for more RAM, so that may be a solution.

Thanks again for the advice
jacobston is offline   Reply With Quote