SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-15, 12:51 PM   #1
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Icon5 Windows firewall?

Up to last weekend I was using the free Comodo firewall and all was well then a update came though and..

A ton of syrup hit my Win8.1 everything slowed down slower than a snail and it blocked the Internet as well! Switch it off and business as usual switched it back on and the syrup was back. Uninstalled it cleaned up the PC re-installed and the yes you got it.

Now dumped it outright, is anyone just using the windows firewall? everything OK no issues?

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-15, 03:53 PM   #2
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453
Uploads: 0

I use it as part of my security setup which includes an antivirus and malware fighter. I've had no problems yet.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-15, 06:05 AM   #3
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Same here. It does the job. Began using it when that virus come around (can not remember the name) that re-booted the PC over and over, if connect to the internet.
Of course, firewall programs may be more secure and block more.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-15, 09:48 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I've never had a problem with it. I use it with Windows Defender and have a couple of other anti-virus programs to run scans with.
Old 05-20-15, 10:21 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Give Microsoft Security Essentials a spin STEED, I've never had any problems since I started using it.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-15, 10:59 AM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Only the earliest version of XP (non-servicepack-ed) was suspect iirc. Eventually Microsoft got it's act together in plugging the holes in it's OS-es. But the public image damage was done. I see no reason to consider Vista, 7 and later to need the same treatment as the XP firewall. Imho the other 3rd party firewalls are pretty much bloatware. But then, I'm comfortable in editing the firewall settings as I'm a tech guy. Other less network-knowledgable people might have more trouble and need a simplified user interface that other firewalls provide. But from a security standpoint I don't think the Windows firewall is inherently bad.

Also, Firewalls are not equal to virusscanners and malware scanners. So you need to have both. Firewalls only look at where network packets come and go to/from, and checks what sort of packet types it is. It either allows or blocks and drops this based on rules. Whereas virusscanners and malware scanners check on a much higher level if something is indeed (or looks like) acting in a malicious way on a file/email level in the OS.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-15, 11:05 AM   #7
STEED
Lucky Jack

I got the windows fire wall on and also running free editions of Avast anti virus with Malwarebytes and Super Anti Spyware & Ccleaner. To date never had issues with these freeware ones and rather keep them going.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!

Last edited by STEED; 05-20-15 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-20-15, 11:12 AM   #8
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

I just had a problem with the win 8.1 update and the AVG virus program. I think it/I blocked the driver for media player, which ceased working. I just re-installed the driver for my sound software and everything works now. So AVG caught/blocked something.

Smurfing windows.
Old 05-20-15, 11:58 AM   #9
STEED
Lucky Jack

I shall keep my set up as it is now as said in my last post. I do hope I get some sort of massage saying your windows firewall has been updated just to give me peace of mind.