SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-10-15, 05:37 AM   #1
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Asus Tablet eating my files

I have a ME301 Asus tablet (10 inch, 1280x800, 16G internal, with Bluetooth keyboard, had its debut in 2012 and purchased in June 2013, production is Feb 2013).

It always had some problems reading my SD cards. Very often, after a while it says No files found or the directory tree is clearly missing a bunch of folders. Or the Gallery suddenly reloads to a blank. It seems I am not the only one having SD card problems.

I don't know why this happens - is this an Asus thing or an Android thing, because the feeling I get is that the driver reading the SD card gets shut down at the slightest "provocation"?

It is a major reason why when my mom wanted a tablet, I told her to go for Windows 8. Whatever weaknesses cannot compensate for this rather massive flaw.

Well, anyway, that can be lived with as long as I remember to never put any work-critical items in the SD card and to get used to the disappearances that can be solved (usually) by reinserting the card.. However, recently, the thing has gone so bold as to, after one of those read failures, to throw thousands of my files somewhere - the truncated directories are now because the file system has actually been changed, and while Windows' CHKDSK can still find them, all their folder and filename information are gone.

This can be hard to live with Does anyone have similar experiences or a solution?

By the way, such performance is with a brand new SD card (as far as its formatting is concerned, I've tried out of the box, Windows, camera and now it is Windows exFAT), and even the tablet was wiped only yesterday in an attempt to improve the situation.

I need help... I'm also getting help here:
http://www.transformerforums.com/for...tml#post346797
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 11:30 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Hmmmmm. Well I can attest that this is not an inherent Android problem, as I've never lost a file on any SD card with my Android devices. But that doesn't mean that your installation of Android doesn't have any problems.

The most likely culprit is a bad SD card. Back it up to your computer, reformat it, move your backup back to the card and test. If it solved your problem you're done.

But if it doesn't, then restore that backup to another SD card entirely. Does THAT solve your problem?

If you have a verified good SD card and are still losing files it's time to drop the H-bomb on your Asus tablet. Make sure all your data is backed up and do a factory reset of the machine. This will wipe it clean and reinstall Android to make the machine exactly as it emerged from the factory. Everything not backed up will be gone forever.

If that doesn't fix the problem then your Asus tablet has a hardware problem and it's chase the warranty time.

Running from operating system to operating system is likely not to solve the problem. Defective SD cards, operating system corruption and harware problems are just as likely with any OS and any computer or tablet on earth.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote