SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-27-15, 12:50 PM   #1
BrucePartington
XO

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Default Nvidia controler crashing online videos

Did a quick search for this topic. Found none, so here goes.
For some time now I've been experiencing online videos to crash, i.e. screen goes black, then returns with browser missing the frame, and a pop-out window bottom right warning the Nvidia Geforce Experience crashed and restarted.

Reinstalled latest drivers. Problem persisted. I googled about and found a few references about Nvidia controllers crashing because of extremely long files or folders names.

In C: directory I found an insanely long folder name (now deleted) that looked like this: "abn64rt5hk7m2m55kjuyt456mswa" (I just typed random characters but this gives you an idea). Inside I found a "MRT.exe" file.
Supposedly it's the Malicious software Removal Tool (not) from Microsoft. It's available as a Windows update, although not developed by Microsoft. This tool is not necessary if you have a decent anti-virus software and keep it updated. In fact this tool causes more trouble to your system than it's worth.
Furthermore, I found that the very name MRT.exe is used as a disguise for a Trojan virus.
I found a MRT.exe file inside the [system32] folder (windows) right where it's supposed to be, so what was the other one in C: directory with the insane folder name?
They are now both gone (deleted), and I ran a few system optimizing and anti-virus tools.
Rebooted the system. I've watched about 10 videos on Youtube, no crash whatsoever, not even so much as a hesitation.
I just thought I would share this.