SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-25-15, 11:36 AM   #1
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Default New Windows updates screw up Win 7 installations ?

Seems MS has a hard time differentiating between Win 7, 8 and 10, when it comes to "updates"

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 02:48 PM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Care to expand? A link perhaps, or the trouble you've had?
Old 08-25-15, 04:07 PM   #3
Catfish

Icon8

Since this Win 10 update icon appeared, i had too much problems to describe, simple as that. Running Win 7 64 bit here, legal copy, activated and all. If you can call this sorry state "running".

Some of the stuff:

- Some Internet do not open with Internet Explorer 11, including just of all MS's own help and service pages.
- Java does not seen to work with IE11, but inconsistently, sometimes it does, sometimes not.
- Uninstalling IE11 in Win 7 not possible, you can only decativate it. Reactivating gives you the same old problems.
- Internet with IE11 is unbelievably slow, sometimes slow or no reaction to inputs
(- Internet no problem with Firefox or other browsers)
- USB WLAN not working after update, fallback to prior installation possible, but rest of the problems are of course still there
- Updating MS sec. essentials not possible anymore, stops with errors.
- Media player 12 not working anymore
- Cannot hear/see music/videos, cannot be opened with media player sometimes due to admin authorisation (i never changed anything, usr is admin), sometimes due to file type (can open some mp4s, but not other mp4s, some mp3s cannot be opened as well, Player cannot play cda files from bought Ausio CDs)

This is around 10 percent of problems, Office got its own.

I have an MSCE and several MCPs, have contact to all kinds of forums, but no help possible. Happens every 6 monzths roughly.

I give up, sick and tired of this. Re-install will be better and easier, at least for some time.
I guess i will switch to another OS sooner or later.

Old 08-25-15, 08:08 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm sorry you're having all those problems. I've had nothing like that.
Old 08-25-15, 08:13 PM   #5
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

He's looking for IE to work. I think it may be gone in lieu of Edge. Nope I still have it but it's been buried.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 09:06 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

As I've said elsewhere, I switched from Edge back to IE with one click, and it was MS that gave me the instructions.
Old 08-26-15, 12:58 PM   #7
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

The Win 10 upgrade I did had no real problems and continues to work well. As far as Edge vs. IE, the user also did not like Edge, so I unpinned Edge from the taskbar, pinned IE in its place and all is well. If you are looking for IE, go to the start menu, click on all apps, scroll down to "Windows Accessories", find "Internet Explorer", right click and click on "Pin to Taskbar". Easy-peasy...

<O>
Old 08-28-15, 01:30 PM   #8
Catfish

Icon8

Hi,
thanks but i still have Win 7 running on my Computer, and it seems to try to install updates that are not for Win 7, thus screwing up the System.

The win10 Version where we needed a new WLAN-stick runs ok on the other machine, but this is new 10, not 7.
B.t.w. Win 10 is faster on a Mac with Parallels, than a a native install Win10-only lmao.

In Win7 I was able to get some features back and make some of those 'updates' inoperative or change them, but this can't be 'it'.
Security essentials still denies updating and stops with all kinds of error messages. However, this may be linked to the IE11 download Manager, which is still screwed up.

The joke is, you cannot properly uninstall IE 11, you an only deactivate it. Activating it again after shutdown, restart, change, shutdown again yaddayadda brings back the same problems.

Old 08-28-15, 02:08 PM   #9
Catfish

Ok, IE 11 problems are Microsoft-made; for anyone who' interested:

" 1. Continuing to use IE11 will continue your problems and your frustration. I won't tell you to use Chrome or Firefox, but THAT'S what will take care of this for you. What you see is a result of this:

"User-Agent Strings"

That doesn't mean a lot, I'm sure, but it's the root of your problems, and Flash Player has nothing to do with it.

Microsoft "rewrote" the User-Agent Strings for the abomination they call their latest and greatest browser (Read more here).

User-Agent Strings are what websites use to identify the browser you're using and provide the proper content for it's browser engine, like ActiveX stuff, and Flash or HTML5 video.

Thanks to the geniuses in Redmond, WA, the User-Agent Strings for IE11 (which has a Trident engine), ID it as either "Gecko" (Firefox) or "Webkit" (Chrome).

Trouble is: when the site the directs to the content for one of these two engines, the Trident engine in IE can't intepret it and the site then sees IE as an "unidentified" browser.

The problem with an unidentified browser is that the plug-ins in that browser aren't recognized either, so even though you're up to date, it says you need the latest Flash Player when you use IE11.

YouTube... has converted to HTML5 video so if it doesn't detect Flash Player, it can display HTML5 (MP4) video which requires no plug-in to play.
Facebook can't do that, because HTML5 doesn't apply to games... only video.

Microsoft has no plans to "fix" the mess they've created because they think it's a great idea to block you out of the websites you visit.
They recommend using "Compatibility View" and pretending that you're using an older verison of IE...

The Problem with THAT is that it's seen limited success, and you have to enable it for EVERY page that has problems... individually. ..."

Why is there no vomit-icon.

Old 08-28-15, 03:01 PM   #10
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
As I've said elsewhere, I switched from Edge back to IE with one click, and it was MS that gave me the instructions.
Edge IS Internet Exploder. It's just a cell phone shell for the same old stuff without giving you access to all the adjustments you are used to. So when you change from Edge to IE all that changes is the UI. The guts continue to run as if you changed nothing.

We are at the very beginning of knowing all the bad stuff lurking in Windows 10. It will look ten times worse in six months. I've upgraded four computers from Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 to 7 in the past week. You can buy a full retail copy of Windows 7 Pro 64 for about $65 and that's a bargain. Unlike Win 10 you can migrate that to any future computer you have legally and you retain ownership in your hardware. Private folders (directories) remain private. It's either that or make the move to Linux.

Microsoft trust score: -100%

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 08-28-15 at 03:08 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 10:59 AM   #11
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

No it's not. It is a new different browser. Google it. Just what is your problem with Windows 10? Are you a google or apple employee?

We understand you don't like it, you shout from the roof tops, I checked the links you have provided and they didn't say anything like what you are stating. You don't like it, don't use it. However when people post here asking for help, try to help rather than ranting how bad MS is and Win10 is. Oh and when I say help I do not mean stating downgrading from Win 10 back to Win 7.
Old 09-01-15, 02:24 PM   #12
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I'm beginning to suspect he's really Tim Cook...

<O>
Old 09-04-15, 04:06 AM   #13
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
wolf_howl15 Remember...

Every iteration of Windows was built on the bones of its predecessors.
Even Win Ten Ten.
Yup, it's a dog to some.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 04:19 AM   #14
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
He's looking for IE to work. I think it may be gone in lieu of Edge. Nope I still have it but it's been buried.
It's still in there for now. Ask Cortana.
I'm sure MS will deploy an update to kill it off for good
soon enough.

Maybe a re-install would be good, Catfish. I have always done it at least every six months because Windows op systems have always been like an old jalopy car that needs frequent engine overhauls because of all the gunk that builds up in it.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote